I went to the dump..

Old September 3rd 05, 05:24 PM
David Martin

Default I went to the dump..

... and took my new trailer, loaded with the equivalent of a car boot
full of recycling.

Rolls nicely, complimentary comments from the attendant. Updated page
at http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dma...r/trailer.html

The white bag on the back is a builders bag, the 1m cube sand and
suchlike are delivered in.

...d

Old September 3rd 05, 08:53 PM

The biggest load I've had on my homebuilt trailer is about 250 kg of
hoss-muck - http://trailers.xntrick.co.uk

I suppose I cheated a bit - using a bit of ally scaffold tower for the
frame!

Old September 3rd 05, 09:22 PM
John_Kane

David Martin wrote:
.. and took my new trailer, loaded with the equivalent of a car boot
full of recycling.

Rolls nicely, complimentary comments from the attendant. Updated page
at http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dma...r/trailer.html

The white bag on the back is a builders bag, the 1m cube sand and
suchlike are delivered in.

..d

Very nice indeed. I was talking to a neighbour who has a homebuild cart
(more brute force than yours ) and trying to persuade him to build a
flatbed. I'll have to show him yours.

John Kane
Kingston ON.

Old September 3rd 05, 09:53 PM
Theo Markettos

wrote:

The biggest load I've had on my homebuilt trailer is about 250 kg of
hoss-muck -
http://trailers.xntrick.co.uk

Interesting... I notice you use a modified kickstand and the OP uses a Weber
hitch. You mention a ball and socket on your kickstand but I can't quite
work out from the picture where the ball and socket are. Is there somewhere
that shows this in a bit more detail?

Are there any other difficulties about connections? I have a partially
built trailer (for carrying manure, recycling, shopping etc) and the
connection is the bit I'm not looking forward to making. What are Weber
hitches like in practice?

Thanks
Theo
Old September 3rd 05, 10:11 PM
Ian Gregory

wrote:

The biggest load I've had on my homebuilt trailer is about 250 kg of
hoss-muck -
http://trailers.xntrick.co.uk

Cool. A couple of months ago I saw a guy on Brick Lane moving a load
of stuff on a nice trailer. I had a chat with him and he put me on to
an excellent website which some of you might not have seen:

http://www.workbike.org/

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/
Old September 3rd 05, 11:42 PM
chris French

In message , Theo Markettos
writes
What are Weber
hitches like in practice?

Excellent. I have it on my kiddie trailer.

There is a fairly small bit attached to the bike - with a simple
universal joint and the 'female' part of the hitch.

To hitch up all you have to do is push a button on the trailer part of
the hitch, twist, push the two parts together, twist back to latch. It
is quick, easy and very secure, There is an inbuilt key operate lock if
you wish to use it.

Never seen them on sale separately though (only the bike mounted bit)
.. Where did yours' come from David
--
Chris French

Old September 4th 05, 09:09 AM
David Martin

chris French wrote:
In message , Theo Markettos
writes
What are Weber
hitches like in practice?

Excellent. I have it on my kiddie trailer.

There is a fairly small bit attached to the bike - with a simple
universal joint and the 'female' part of the hitch.

To hitch up all you have to do is push a button on the trailer part of
the hitch, twist, push the two parts together, twist back to latch. It
is quick, easy and very secure, There is an inbuilt key operate lock if
you wish to use it.

Never seen them on sale separately though (only the bike mounted bit)
. Where did yours' come from David

I emailed weber who were very helpful. They will either sell you them
direct but that requires som palaver with international fund transfer,
or through Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative.

They emailed EBC and told them they were adding my hitch to the EBC
order. EBC then forwarded it on to me.

You have to be careful to get the right hitch size. It fits over a
round tube, so I used a bit of 1" steerer from an old pair of forks.
The machining on the hitch wasn't the best I have seen and it took a
little bit of work with an abrasive stone on a drill to get the hole to
the right size.

...d

Old September 4th 05, 10:01 AM
David Martin

Theo Markettos wrote:
wrote:

The biggest load I've had on my homebuilt trailer is about 250 kg of
hoss-muck -
http://trailers.xntrick.co.uk

Wow, A reply from Wobbly John himself. I'm the short guy who had to
ride your wobble bike off the saddle at the York Rally..

Interesting... I notice you use a modified kickstand and the OP uses a Weber
hitch. You mention a ball and socket on your kickstand but I can't quite
work out from the picture where the ball and socket are. Is there somewhere
that shows this in a bit more detail?

Are there any other difficulties about connections? I have a partially
built trailer (for carrying manure, recycling, shopping etc) and the
connection is the bit I'm not looking forward to making. What are Weber
hitches like in practice?

The Weber hitch is rated to a load of 80kg. They do make an industrial
strength one (for Deutsche Post) but it is not advertised. They can
sell you one if you ask nicely.

In practice the Weber hitch is really easy to use. I'm probably going
to get the kickstand mounted version as I am not too keen on the axle
mount.

...d

Old September 4th 05, 03:22 PM
Al C-F

David Martin wrote:
.. and took my new trailer, loaded with the equivalent of a car boot
full of recycling.

Rolls nicely, complimentary comments from the attendant. Updated page
at http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dma...r/trailer.html

The white bag on the back is a builders bag, the 1m cube sand and
suchlike are delivered in.

..d

You seem to have missed the URC opportunity to show us your kitchen. :-)
Old September 4th 05, 06:10 PM
chris French

In message .com,
David Martin writes

In practice the Weber hitch is really easy to use. I'm probably going
to get the kickstand mounted version as I am not too keen on the axle
mount.

I've got both. I don't really like the kickstand one because the stand
is pretty crap, the main body of it is plastic and just flexes to much
for my liking, and it's no where near as stable as my all metal ESGE
stand.

I've never hand any problems with the axle mounted one
--
Chris French