unicycling events

Old December 22nd 05, 02:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default unicycling events

so im doing this school project on unicycles, what are some of the
bigger events in unicycling history, like the first unicon and moab and
other conventions.
thanks in advance to anyone who helps or trys to help

--
habbywall

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
nick.jantz
I shot the sherriff
habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

Old December 22nd 05, 05:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Large unicycle events or gatherings are *wonderful*! I strongly
encourage anyone to attend. You’ll learn more than you ever imagined.
You’ll help those learning. And, you’ll share your passion with many
who will be eager to meet you.

The NAUCC (North American Unicycle Championship and Conference) this
year will be in Memphis and hosted by the Memphis Unicycle Club, June
30th – July 5th.

Visit the MUC website for more info: www.memphisunicycleclub.com

Tommy

--
Tmornstar

Tommy Thompson
-NAUCC, June 30 - July 5, 2006-

Memphis Unicycle Club
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Old December 22nd 05, 06:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Even down in little old New Zealand we have a national competition.
Most competitors are Hobbits, though we have had a few elves from time
to time.

The NZ nationals are awesome, but are very different than events
overseas.

Instead of the traditional Bar for high-jump (they're hard to get out
here), we use a selection of sheep (Bah!)

To test distance, we line sheep up in a row, and you have to clear
them. If you don't you're in big trouble, so it's a little extra
pressure

We also do special drop competitions, with the help of some local Ents.
They pick us up to a set height, and we attempt higher and higher
drops.

When we go on Muni rides, we carry crossbows at all times incase we get
attacked by a roving group of Orks, on occasion we've had to make some
hasty escapes. Our crossbows are as valuable to us as our 661's

I can't wait for next years NZ Uni Weekend, We're totally heading for a
Muni down Mount Doom.

N o t e : N Z e v e n t s a r e j u s t l i k e t h e r
e s t o f t h e w o r l d , e x c e p t s m a l l e r .

I know this is not a bigger event in Unicycling history, but it could
come in handy to be able to say something about how widespread
unicycling is Good luck with the report

--
Matt.Weston
Matt.Weston's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11149

Old December 22nd 05, 07:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Competition events, or historical events?

Conventions/competitions:

Unicycling Society of America:
Founded in 1973. First event, "National Unicycle Meet," 1973, Pontiac,
Michigan

Before this was a large Unicycle Invitational, sponsored by the Stelber
Corporation with help from USA founder Bill Jenack. This was in New
York's Central Park in 1971.

International Unicycling Federation:
Founded in 1982. First event, "International Unicycling Convention,"
1984 in Syracuse, New York. Starting with the second one we called them
"Unicon."

MUni:
First big MUni race I know of was at Unicon IV in 1988 in Aguadilla,
Puerto Rico. There were about 70-100 entrants.
First one at a USA convention was in 1989 in Mobile, Alabama.

First all-MUni convention:
http://www.unicycling.com/muni/muni96/index.htm

First Moab Muni Fest:
2000
http://www.moabmunifest.com

In between were the British MUni Weekend (BMW) and others.

Japan has held the world's largest unicycle events, with up to 1200
competitors or so. I don't know if the most recent Unicon was the
biggest (it was certainly the biggest international one), it may have
been a Japan nationals. Way back at Unicon III, the first one in Japan,
there were about 850 competitors.

In 2000 we had somewhere around 400 international unicyclists all
holding hands in Tiananmen Square in Beijing.

In 1998 we had a similar number of riders try to link up on a narrow,
rectangular park in Bottrop, Germany.

In 1992 in Quebec City, Canada, we had 192 riders actually ride, all
holding hands.

A United States and MUni-centric timeline:
2004: Unicon 12 in Tokyo has around 1000 competitors and is the
largest, longest unicycle convention known to me, with the most events.
2001(?): Gilby starts Unicyclist.com, creating today's online
unicyclist community.
1999: Unicycle.com started selling unicycles online.
1998: Kris Holm first rides with other unicyclists (MUni Weekend)
1995: We start calling it Muni or MUni.
1993(?): The Unicycling Mailing List becomes a usenet newsgroup,
rec.sport.unicycling.
1989: First offroad race (UMX) at USA convention.
1988: First offroad race at IUF convention.
1987: 850 riders at Unicon III in Tokyo.
1985: George Peck writes in to the IUF to tell about his offroad riding
activities.
1984: First international convention and world championships. All
competition events are held indoors, in the same (very big) room.
1983: Riders from approximately 8 countries attend the USA convention,
and talk starts about doing a true international one the following
year.
1982: IUF is founded.
1981: Miyata unicycles become available in the U.S.
1973: Unicycling Society of America is founded.
1967: Schwinn introduces their unicycle.

There is plenty more, this is just American and IUF stuff. Please add
more!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

Old December 22nd 05, 07:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

men john foss your like jesus or something u kno EVERYTHING when it
comes down to unicycling.

--
maxisback

Quiters never win, winners never quit , the ones who never win and never
quit are just dumb
maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885

Old December 22nd 05, 08:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

johnfoss wrote:
2001(?): Gilby starts Unicyclist.com, creating today's online
unicyclist community.
1993(?): The Unicycling Mailing List becomes a usenet newsgroup,
rec.sport.unicycling.

2001 is the correct year, although I wouldn't say Gilby created the
online community. He created an alternative way of joining the already
existing online community, and unicyclist.com is now by far the main
vehicle to access this community but not the only one. (I am
temporarily posting from the forum because of technical issues.)

The usenet newsgroup rec.sport.unicycling was created in 1995, after
having been in the works for more than two years.

--
Klaas Bil
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Old December 22nd 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Klaas Bil wrote:
2001 is the correct year, although I wouldn't say Gilby created the
online community.

That's right. But due to his work, our community grew and changed. Some
might argue that making access easier brought in too many casual users,
but I still think our online community is one of the best out there.

The usenet newsgroup rec.sport.unicycling was created in 1995, after
having been in the works for more than two years.

Does anyone know when the mailing list was started? I joined onto it in
1992, I think. Maybe '93.

Old December 23rd 05, 11:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

johnfoss wrote:
Does anyone know when the mailing list was started? I joined onto it in
1992, I think. Maybe '93.

It started Jan 19, 1993, as you can read he
http://www.winternet.com/~kfuchs/archive.html
This was after the first attempt to create a newsgroup failed. A later
attempt in 1995 succeeded.