My 'Bent Is Starting to Annoy Me

Old December 27th 06, 08:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Mark the biker

Default My 'Bent Is Starting to Annoy Me

* * Chas wrote:
"KERRY MONTGOMERY" wrote in message
ink.net...

snip
I've been around bikes for the past 40 years, around this world for 56,

and
in fact can live with upright bicycles.
Kerry

Sniveling, dirty legged kid, 55 and 63 respectively.

I tried riding a bent for a few minutes about 30 years ago and I just felt
to uncomfortable trying to keep it balanced.

I can appreciate that for some people with physical limitations, a bent is
the only way that they can enjoy cycling. That's great for them.

Chas.

You would be surprised at how far the recumbent world has come in
30 years Chas. It is always a curiosity to me when people think I must
be
uncomfortable to be on a bent. Uncomfortable could be like you say,a
balance
problem. I also have upright bikes but for shame the tires are flat and
no one will
take the time or effort to pump them up.

Old December 27th 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

If I can ride a bike for 4-6 hours I consider it comfortable. My
Lemond road bike and C;dale cross bike fit that bill fine. I have the
bars only slightly below saddle, a Brooks seat and I;m fine. My MTB's
are torture machines and cannot ride for more than an hour before neck
shouler wrist pain start!!

Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Get a real bike and more people can fix it!!!

Big Jim has a good point here, but he does not realize how much we recumbent
cyclist insist on comfort, something that you can never get on an upright.

When I ride an upright and it starts to cause me pain I get so freaking mad
I could kill myself for being so stupid as to think an upright could ever be
comfortable for more than half an hour. Screw all uprights all the way to
hell and back! The g.d. things are nothing but torture racks. One thing is
for sure, they were never designed for the human anatomy.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Prisoner at War wrote:
Okay, so I've been putting through my HP Velo SMGTe through all kinds
of conditions around town for almost a year now. After all the
potholes, rain, mud, grit, heat and cold I finally managed to really
**** it up Sunday. A chainring got bent slightly, and eventually the
chain itself broke and messed up some drivetrain components in the
process!

I only wonder how folks manage to take this model 'bent on them Third
World tours if I'm having issues with it from simply riding around
town! From the beginning the rear air shock suddenly stopped working.
In another two weeks I managed to shred the top teflon tube somehow.
Then the front disc brake rotor became permanently warped. Then the
back ones. Did I mention the rear mudguard cracking in two? Sunday,
about the whole drivetrain came undone: broken chain, a bent chainring,
the idler spring clamp kaputt. Interestingly, the Thracian wheelset
has held up just fine, AFAIK.

Good God, but this is starting to be like dealing with your PC: "now
what???" comes to mind more and more. And this seems to me
recumbency's fatal flaw preventing it from wider adoptation: it's too
****ing complicated! And I can't believe how many of the nuts and
bolts on my SMGTe do not seem to be off-the-shelf stuff you can get at
a hardware store. Also, there should be a re-assembly instruction
sheet for owners included with the bikes, since not all LBSes know or
care about servicing 'bents.

Recumbents are fun when they work, but mine is finally going to make a
grease-monkey out of me! The HP Velo SMGTe is still the most
comfortable 'bent around, but it requires a lot of attention, not like
my other bikes which I just ride and take to the shop maybe once or
twice a year. So far, I think I've spent $250 getting my 'bent
serviced and refitted in one way or another. JFC!!

I've now almost completely disassembled my 'bent, so as to clean out
all the grit and grime and reinstall the chain, etc. Damn, this is
going to be some education in bike mechanics! I'm really learning the
hard way...on my own. I'm kind of looking forward to it, out of
curiosity. Just wish I had the space to lay things down properly and
leave them around.

Old December 27th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Prisoner at War

wrote:
If I can ride a bike for 4-6 hours I consider it comfortable. My
Lemond road bike and C;dale cross bike fit that bill fine. I have the
bars only slightly below saddle, a Brooks seat and I;m fine. My MTB's
are torture machines and cannot ride for more than an hour before neck
shouler wrist pain start!!

I can ride my uprights all day continously and be comfortable.

The problem is that within two weeks my back will be aching like crazy.
And I am likely one of the few young 'bent-riders around at age 34.

I never had a problem with my wrists or shoulders from upright biking,
though. I do change hand positions for comfort, but no regular problem
has ever developed. It's only my back that's really affected. I agree
that frame geometry and a proper saddle do a lot for comfort on an
upright, and I don't blame bike-riding per se for my bad back -- it
kind of started in childhood and was really messed up in the Army but
upright bikes and even jogging exacerbates it.

My sports doc recommended a 'bent, and that was my excuse to splurge
thousands.

It's been great fun, but getting annoying now with all the break-downs.

Old December 28th 06, 04:40 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
* * Chas

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:6dSdnZrjUMDqhA_YnZ2dnUVZ_s6onZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"* * Chas" wrote in message

"KERRY MONTGOMERY" wrote in message
ink.net...

snip
I've been around bikes for the past 40 years, around this world for 56,

and
in fact can live with upright bicycles.
Kerry

Sniveling, dirty legged kid, 55 and 63 respectively.

I tried riding a bent for a few minutes about 30 years ago and I just

felt
to [too] uncomfortable trying to keep it balanced.

I can appreciate that for some people with physical limitations, a bent

is
the only way that they can enjoy cycling. That's great for them.

Chas.

It has nothing to do with physical limitations. It has everything to do

with
comfort. What an idiot you are!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Uffda!

Chill out dude and have some more lutefisk and lefse.....

Go ride your 2 wheeled piece of lawn furniture in peace!

Also, learn to follow a thread. My comment was a response to KERRY
MONTGOMERY not YOU.

Chas.

Old December 28th 06, 04:52 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Jim Behning

Prisoner at War wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I do better with the sore back issues if I keep up with core muscle
training. I got a pretty sore back on an 8 hour mountain bike ride/race
but part of that is a way to tight left quad. I need to stretch that
muscle more. Massage therapists have said I have tight hamstrings. I
need to a lot more stretching I guess.

My cross bike is more comfortable than my road bike. I need to get a
shorter stem and maybe raise the stem a bit on the road bike. Little
things can make big differences.
Old December 28th 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
KERRY MONTGOMERY

"* * Chas" wrote in message

[...]

I do suffer from nasal mucus (bad sinuses), but my legs are dirty only
because I never chose to shave 'em, even during the racing years. The only
recumbent I've spent much time on is the one on this web page (it's the one
with large red spoke protectors). I found it a trifle heavy and slow
compared to the uprights I usually ride, but exceptionally easy to balance
;-)
Kerry

Old December 28th 06, 05:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
* * Chas

"* * Chas" wrote in message

[...]

The famous Irish racer, Patio Furniture..... ;-)

Chas.

Old December 28th 06, 06:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

Prisoner at War wrote:
[...]

Gremlins. You've got gremlins on your ****.

Something about bents attracts them. Good luck.

Old December 28th 06, 07:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

I don't care what you ride . If you don't take care of it .they all go to
Sh#t .Learn to fix it take better care of it .A buddies of mine use to
complain about his Mt bike but never worked on it to keep it in shape it
really doesn't take that much.Once he started to clean it and adjust thing
as they were being use he had better luck when he went out riding . He could
go for a ride and things didn't break or come out of adj.
I think this is what the he was looking for .
Don't wait till it breaks . Ride it and pay a little attion to what's going
on and you can tell when thing are coming loose or need adjusted.Really??
I own 3 bikes and keep them in shape the last thing they do is let be down
on a ride unless I crash and bend some thing .
Don't get me wrong if you bought a cheep bike??? You get what you pay for
!!!
A cheap bike wont get you the mileage of a good bike?!?!
MY 2 CENTS

--
J/O TrailBlazer At Large!!

Old December 29th 06, 04:19 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

Edward Dolan wrote:

When I ride an upright and it starts to cause me pain I get so freaking mad
I could kill myself for being so stupid ....

Damn, we were this close. (He says holding his finger and thumb only a
mm. apart.)

Ken