Alpine Delight

Old November 13th 07, 09:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle
JoeDe

Default Alpine Delight

Well it's the time of the year again when some riders go and pay homage to
the mountain gods for a trek from Bright to Omeo and back. Some with a
little more sence only as far as Dinner Plain and return. I'm one of the
dumb ones doing the whole lot! Weather was looking to be warm early in the
week but I think best be prepared as a front's coming through Sat and at
1800 meters, be prepared for anything. Heard of a group a few weeks ago
leaving Bright hot and sunny to hail at the top! Typical Huh?

Are there many on this forum heading up? Any suggestions for a good pasta
meal Fri night? Found the pub a little oily last year.

This ride is becoming more popular every year maybe because it's a little
quieter than the Alpine Classic but I like it as Hotham is totally different
to the climbs in the classic. Oh I just remembered! That grind out of Omeo
spitting flies out of your mouth! Can't wait for all that fun! You really
earn the descent to Harrietville.

I'm better prepared this year both physically (more winter training and a
few kilos less) and set up bike with some seriously low gearing. Last year
with the 39 - 27, I kept getting dropped on the steeper parts by the riders
surrounding me with their triples and nobody wanted to swap! Wonder why?
I've fitted a compact and customed my cassette (I'll keep large cog a
secret) so I've virtually a triple range without those one tooth difference
gears in between which are not necessary on such a ride.

Cant wait for the fun!
JoeD

Old November 14th 07, 09:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Nov 14, 8:34 am, "JoeDe" wrote:
Well it's the time of the year again when some riders go and pay homage to
the mountain gods for a trek from Bright to Omeo and back. Some with a
little more sence only as far as Dinner Plain and return. I'm one of the
dumb ones doing the whole lot! Weather was looking to be warm early in the
week but I think best be prepared as a front's coming through Sat and at
1800 meters, be prepared for anything. Heard of a group a few weeks ago
leaving Bright hot and sunny to hail at the top! Typical Huh?

That might have been my group, we rode Hotham last w'end (from Hotham
to Bright & back)

The road is in good condition.

Old November 15th 07, 10:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
RobM[_9_]

Not for me this year, unfortunately (injury). Have a great (and safe)
ride.

--
RobM

Old November 18th 07, 10:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle
JoeDe

Well it's done for another year!!
Had a great ride and happy a slowish climber like me took nearly 50 min off
last year. I believe there were around 40 riders with 9 completing the 200K
Bright to Omeo and back with all remaining riders completing the 100K option
to Dinner Plain & return. There were more scheduled for the 200 but with
some concern of storms closing in, riders opted out of the 200 at Dinner
Plain and returned with a handful deciding to climb Buffalo to make up.
I plowed along to Omeo and back and ultimately, the weather couldn't have
been better. My luck their loss I suppose.

Descent from Hotham to Harrietville is amazing at 30K long leaving out those
two up bits near the top. At 30K, are there any longer descents in Vic? What
about the rest of Oz?

JoeDe

Old November 19th 07, 01:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Nov 19, 9:12 am, "JoeDe" wrote:
Well it's done for another year!!
Had a great ride and happy a slowish climber like me took nearly 50 min off
last year. I believe there were around 40 riders with 9 completing the 200K
Bright to Omeo and back with all remaining riders completing the 100K option
to Dinner Plain & return. There were more scheduled for the 200 but with
some concern of storms closing in, riders opted out of the 200 at Dinner
Plain and returned with a handful deciding to climb Buffalo to make up.
I plowed along to Omeo and back and ultimately, the weather couldn't have
been better. My luck their loss I suppose.

Descent from Hotham to Harrietville is amazing at 30K long leaving out those
two up bits near the top. At 30K, are there any longer descents in Vic? What
about the rest of Oz?

The only one that might get close would be Thredbo to Tom Groggin.
Otherwise, nothing ...

Good ride, congrats on the significant improvement in time. Was there
still a little bit of snow at the top? There was last w'end.
Old November 19th 07, 02:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
JoeDe

Good ride, congrats on the significant improvement in time. Was there
still a little bit of snow at the top? There was last w'end.

I saw 4 or 5 patches of snow but unfortunately not near enough to the road.
I could have used some ice over the head!
I loved it.

What's Harder? Alpine Classic or Delight JoeD Australia 29 November 23rd 06 10:33 PM
alpine RR (brief) Bleve Australia 46 January 26th 06 10:14 AM
Belgian Delight Donald Munro Racing 0 April 25th 05 08:48 AM
Alpine, TX - anyone? onefiftyfour Unicycling 5 November 19th 03 03:46 AM
"much to the delight of all my lady-fans"... zach_jucha Unicycling 9 October 2nd 03 01:12 AM