Mt Cootha misery

Old November 15th 07, 02:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Default Mt Cootha misery

The Courier Mail, 15 Nov 2007
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003402,00.html

A CYCLIST has died in Brisbane.

Police said the 46-year-old West End man was rising down Mount Coot-
tha when he and an oncoming vehicle collided just before 6am (AEST)
yesterday.

He was taken to the Royal Brisbane Hospital but died from his injuries
around midday.

From RoadGrime:

5am tomorrow from MB Coaching 12 McDougall Street Milton

--------------------------------------
Fellow cyclists, friends, you are openly invited to a commemorative
ride
tomorrow morning to pay your respects to a fellow cyclist, Mr Ian
Perkins, tragically killed in a road incident on Mt Cootha yesterday.
It
will be the same course as the "Gents Ride".

Ian had ridden this ride for the past 5 years, never missing a
beautiful
roll with friends.

Ian "Perko" Perkins was a highly respected and super motivated
individual that embraced all of what we love in riding our bikes and
we
are coming together at 5am, 16th November at MB Cycles-MB Coaching, 12
McDougall Street in MILTON. 3367 3488 if you have any questions.

All are welcome, we will be taking in a river loop with groups
expected
to ride from about 27km/h average down to 20km/h. Separate groups will
be constructed if needed.

Without reservation we extend to loved ones, friends and Family our
deepest sympathy's and to the greater cycling community, we treasure
the
memory of our Brother, Ian Perkins.
Mokky

Old November 15th 07, 02:06 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

To quote Little Red Riding in the Hood "****sticks".

The other day I turned through a roundabout and was politely given way
by someone in a blacked out Hummer. I stuck up the rude finger and
mouthed **** Off ****** to them. Why are cars that have a high risk to
kill able to be sold? Why are car makers able to advertise speed and
power? Why do arseholes buy these things? Perko might have lived if
the car was safe to other people?
Old November 16th 07, 12:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

we have probably all come down that hill near channel 10 too fast. my
rule i stick too is to only go DOWN the front way, not the back at Mt
Cootha.
Old November 16th 07, 12:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
David Springthorpe

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:06:44 -0800 (PST), Donga
wrote:

To quote Little Red Riding in the Hood "****sticks".

The other day I turned through a roundabout and was politely given way
by someone in a blacked out Hummer. I stuck up the rude finger and
mouthed **** Off ****** to them. Why are cars that have a high risk to
kill able to be sold? Why are car makers able to advertise speed and
power? Why do arseholes buy these things? Perko might have lived if
the car was safe to other people?

Hopefully he'll not bother to stop for you next time, after that ill-mannered
outburst.....
Old November 16th 07, 10:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Nov 16, 10:18 am, wrote:
we have probably all come down that hill near channel 10 too fast. my
rule i stick too is to only go DOWN the front way, not the back at Mt
Cootha.

The report I have heard is that the car was on the wrong side of the
road, passing cyclists while crossing a double line.
Old November 16th 07, 10:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

wrote:
To quote Little Red Riding in the Hood "****sticks".

The other day I turned through a roundabout and was politely given way
by someone in a blacked out Hummer. I stuck up the rude finger and
mouthed **** Off ****** to them. Why are cars that have a high risk to
kill able to be sold? Why are car makers able to advertise speed and
power? Why do arseholes buy these things? Perko might have lived if
the car was safe to other people?

Hopefully he'll not bother to stop for you next time, after that ill-mannered
outburst.....

He's already carrying out an offensive act, so nothing would surprise
me.
Old November 17th 07, 10:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

wrote:
To quote Little Red Riding in the Hood "****sticks".

The other day I turned through a roundabout and was politely given way
by someone in a blacked out Hummer. I stuck up the rude finger and
mouthed **** Off ****** to them. Why are cars that have a high risk to
kill able to be sold? Why are car makers able to advertise speed and
power? Why do arseholes buy these things? Perko might have lived if
the car was safe to other people?

Hopefully he'll not bother to stop for you next time, after that
ill-mannered
outburst.....

He's already carrying out an offensive act, so nothing would surprise
me.

Lemme get this straight now...
You're riding through a roundabout?
Someone in a hummer gives way to you?
You give him the finger because... he's driving a car you don't like?

Is this sarcasm or am I missing something in your description about this
driver doing something dangerous or illegal?
I'm familiar with www.fuh2.com. Is it something to do with that?

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old November 17th 07, 10:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Nov 17, 8:21 pm, "OzCableguy" wrote:

Lemme get this straight now...
You're riding through a roundabout?
Someone in a hummer gives way to you?
You give him the finger because... he's driving a car you don't like?

Is this sarcasm or am I missing something in your description about this
driver doing something dangerous or illegal?
I'm familiar withwww.fuh2.com. Is it something to do with that?

--www.ozcableguy.comwww.oztechnologies.com

It wasn't a big display and I doubt fully whether the driver noticed -
it was more for me, like thinking aloud. I have a real problem with
people choosing to drive cars like that. We've just had a guy die
because he hit a car. We don't know the story and perhaps he lost
control and went on the wrong side of the road or perhaps the car was
passing cyclists on a blind corner with double lines - there have been
both reports. We have some car makers, and manufacturing standards,
trying to make cars safe for pedestrians (and cyclists) in the event
of crashes. Some people choose their car partly on that basis. Then we
have published evidence that SUVs are more dangerous to other people,
and buyers choosing their car because they feel more powerful, higher
up etc, screw the outcome for others. That directly damages cyclists'
safety, not to mention schoolkids, people driving smaller cars etc.
They also have some BS reasons about needing 4WD and to tote lots of
people/stuff (that fit in smaller cars anyway) - so they are also
saying they not only won't 'act locally' on their carbon footprint,
but they will make it as big as they damn well like. So when someone
has rushed out to buy the first Hummer on the market, just so they can
feel/look whatever is in their minds, I find that offensive. It would
be much easier to just not care. Any ideas on what I can do usefully?
Old November 18th 07, 02:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"Donga" wrote in message
[...]

I gotcha. I just thought I might have been missing something. I reckon the
guy in the hummer might have wondered what he'd done wrong at the time too
so it may not have been the best moment to voice your protest. Nevertheless,
I think you're on the right track.
I'm also aggravated that we allow this sort of vehicle on our roads and I
totally agree with the FUH2 principle. These vehicles are dangerous,
inappropriate and a woeful abuse of a limited resource. If the government
won't do anything about it it's up to the people to make fun of anyone
irresponsible enough to buy one until they're about as socially acceptable
as mullet haircuts.

There was a bit of a write up in the Sunday paper today about Ian Perkins'
accident but there's no mention of any wrongdoing by anyone. It would appear
that he took the corner too fast and couldn't hold the line but there's no
specifics mentioned. The main concern appears to be the speed that cyclists
descend the mountain and the lack of shoulders and signage warning of
dangers.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old November 19th 07, 03:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Nov 18, 12:03 pm, "OzCableguy"
wrote:
"Donga" wrote in message

[...]

--www.ozcableguy.comwww.oztechnologies.com- Hide quoted text -

I have personally witnessed a lot of cyclists that go down the back
way (Channel 10) at a very high speed even though there are a lot
signs that cleary states the recommended speed. I have seen a lot
speed down beyond the recommended speed limit. Common sense tells me
to pay particular attention to speed, road grade, surface condition,
the width of the road and the blind corners. I have witnessed friends
who take the blind corners too fast and end up crossing the middle
line and some simply do not look farther enough to see if there are
cars coming in the opposite direction. In some blind corners, you can
actually see the road up ahead if the vegetation is not obstructing
the view but this also depends on the type of blind corners.

My rule is simply this. Apply common sense, stick below the speed
limit, look ahead and always slown down when navigating blind corners.
It doesn't matter how good you are as a cyclists or whether you are an
expert downhill cyclists. It only takes a few microseconds between
making a very simple mistake and a coffin. Even the most careful
cyclists can end up in an accident. The key is to minimise things
going wrong. We can never be too careful.

Safe cycling to all.

a2

More Vee brake misery raisethe UK 93 March 22nd 07 06:37 PM
Mt Cootha Money_Shot Australia 3 March 7th 07 02:23 AM
Mail order misery Ian UK 10 May 26th 05 10:12 PM
Mt Cootha Times LT Australia 2 July 17th 04 08:06 AM
Catalogue of lighting misery Simon Mason UK 4 August 14th 03 08:47 AM