Is Mike Andaman finally dead?

Old August 9th 13, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Is Mike Andaman finally dead?

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

Riding your bicycle on a hiking trail is an ultimate evil.

I’ll let Stalin, Pol Pot, Ceaucescu, Amin, Mugabe and co know :-). What a silly overdramatisation.

Everything is in a context. We not discussing politics, but bicycles on trails.
[...]

The laws will have to be changed because of scofflaws like
you.

Now you’ve really lost it. You want to CHANGE the laws so that what I’m doing now, perfectly legally, becomes illegal so that, then, you can call me a scofflaw ? Fantastic logic there Ed.

The only logic that is flawed is yours. Cycling on trails was not done until recently with the advent of the mountain bike. We now need laws to ban such usage on hiking trails. Such laws (rules) are already in place for Wilderness Areas.
[...]

You have entered an arena where you are not wanted. You are
doing something new under the sun. And you can’t come up with any good reasons
for doing any of it other than a childish pleasure in destroying something
sacred (what’s the matter – can’t walk?). You have incurred the hatred of hikers
and you will reap the whirlwind.

Ed, I’ve provided loads of good reasons why; I listed them earlier in this thread so I’m not going to repeat them yet again. I know you don’t accept them but I think they’re valid and I leave it to the netizens to decide for themselves.

Every use was, once, new. Recreational hiking was a new use of trails originally created for transport and trade. Things move on ... perhaps you should too. Nothing is being destroyed and there is no need for hatred.

There are zillions of miles of roads and streets for you to ride your bike on. Hiking trails are for walkers. This was always the case until recently. What is new is often very bad indeed. We hikers HATE bikers on our trails. Get your own trails! What’s the matter – can’t walk?

Leave if you want. There are plenty of other idiots to take
your place. In the meantime, Mr. Vandeman and I will continue to work quietly
behind the scenes to get the present disgusting and immoral situation changed
back to the way it was in the good old days.

I shall; we’re going around in circles here. You won’t see what you don’t want to see. You saw the report I added to the thread; the ‘problems’ that you are perceiving are not real ... they’re perceptual and will disappear when you change your mind. Unfortunately, for your own serenity, I don’t think you can do that.

The only one who has to change one’s mind is you. Things will get worse before they get better. We hikers will have the last word. Why? Common sense – something that you and all mountain bikers totally lack. All you have got going for you is testosterone, a hormone that is only good for sex and doing other risky things like cycling on hiking trails.

But, I and others will stand absolutely firm about our right to use a public resource and not to be denied it just because it happens to not suit a small number of reactionaries who won’t even consider compromise.

You and your ilk are already banned from Wilderness Areas. Those bans just need to be extended to include all natural areas.

I'm pretty sure that, whilst you ally yourself with Vandeman, you will continue to be spectacularly unsuccessful in any attempt to create further restrictions.

You do not know the hiking community at all. Restrictions are on the way everywhere. Europeans like you should be used to restrictions. It is here in America where we have a problem with them.

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old August 9th 13, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message ...

Blackblade considered Fri, 9 Aug 2013
07:24:52 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

Now you’ve really lost it.

Dolan the dense never had it to start with.

If he ever finds it, the shock of discovering the real world will

probably be too much for him.

Maybe that's what's happened to the vandal man?

Greatness and Saintliness like I possess is never recognized by pygmies like Phil W Lee. All he has ever done on this newsgroup is cast aspersions. He should strive for Greatness and Saintliness on my level even though it would be forever beyond his reach. You have to the manor be born.

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old August 10th 13, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:54:32 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

Well, I”ve got one foot in the grave, that is for sure.

However, in my not so humble opinion, there never has been a saint and
there never will be, human nature being what it is. The only church I
know about is the one that Mother Nature created for us here on earth.
We should enjoy it by walking softly and leaving only footprints.

But Mother Nature didn't create the trails that you are so

enthusiastic about. They were created by man.

They were created by man for walkers, not for bicycles. Get your own trails! What’s the matter – can’t walk?

However, many trails were indeed created by Mother Nature in the way of wild animals always choosing the easiest pathways, thereby creating in essence a trail.

If by "Mother Nature" you envision some sort of all encompassing Earth
Mother that guided the animals to walk this-a-way then it is likely
that it is likely equally true that she is guiding the bikers to bike
this-a-way.

Of course, it is possible that Mother Nature does not consider her
trails as being solely for the benefit of one segment of nature but
are a pathway for all.

The key word to concentrate on in my signature is the

word “Great”, which I clearly am compared to all the sniveling
despicable mountain bikers who think it is perfectly OK to ride their
bicycles on hiking trails. I only regret there is not a Hell in which
to consign them for all eternity.

There are a number of people who have been awarded the title of

"great" Alfred the Great, for example, conceived the idea of a united
Anglo-Saxon England and by the time of his death had become the
dominant ruler in the country and well on the way of achieving his
aim.

The United Kingdom is far from being united. The Scots, the Irish and the Welsh all hate the English. We Celts are hard to please.

Alfred is not called "the great" because he endeared himself to the
peasants, he gained that title by being the one who envisioned the
concept of a united country.

Apparently you, on the other hand, are hiding your light under a

bushel, as the saying goes, since a reasonably diligent search offers
nothing to indicate any greatness associated with the name "Dolan".

My Greatness and My Saintliness is in my own mind. Where the hell else does it ever need to be?

I see. You suffer from delusions of grandeur. You conceive yourself to
be important, and assume in your ignorance, that therefore you are
important.

A not uncommon misconception usually found in small boys who are
raised by dotting mothers and normally corrected by their school yard
fellows in the first year of school.

Tooting your own horn, seems a very likely scenario.

My hero is Alexander the Great who knew how to kick ass in Asia. He set the Persians back on their heels, something that even the US today does not know how to do.

Ah, but Alexander acted, you, on the other hand talk. Had Alexander
been only a talker it is doubtful that he would be remembered today. A
fate that undoubtedly you will share, commonly described as "out of
sight, out of mind".

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old August 10th 13, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message ...
[...]

Oh, I wouldn't go so far as to say he his completely out of either

sight or his mind - he can clearly see the keyboard and retains enough
mind to be able to type. The problem is that the remainder is so
limited that even the most basic logic is completely beyond him

I am sure Phil does not have a clue what is meant by the word “logic” since he is just all spite and envy. Hells Bells, if I were him I would be jealous of Me too!

He should go **** himself and cease bothering the honorable members of this noble newsgroup since he is incapable of adding anything to the discussion. Now there is some “basic logic” for you.

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old August 12th 13, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"John B." wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

I urge you to cease being jealous of Me. Envy is the worst of all the vices since there is no pleasure in it. Simpletons like you should be happy. Leave the trials and tribulations of the world to Great Souls like Me.

Envy? Amazement perhaps. Amazement that anyone can twist and turn so

adroitly. First you state that "Mother nature" means a total lack in
input by human and then you refer to "as Mother nature intended". so
on one hand you are talking about essentially a Darwinian system where
species evolution is solely due to survival of the fittest, so to
speak. But then you seem to be saying that Mother Nature somehow
expects, or plans, things, as you refer to Mother Nature's intension..

If this were a discussion about evolution and its purposes I would deign to give you an answer, but it would take us too far afield. Everyone in the world knows what is meant by “Mother Nature”, except you apparently.

Another point that seems difficult to understand is your remarks about

Alexander the Great. You imply that he is your hero and that he "knew
how to kick ass". But you seem to be very much a talker. After all
your Great Hero went out into the wilderness and did something - he
conquered the known world - but we hear nothing about Ed Dolan's
activities. Much ado about nothing, one might almost say.

I use the term “Great” to differentiate Myself from all the pygmies and dwarfs (mountain bikers) that pollute this newsgroup. I brought up Alexander as an example of a Great in contradistinction to your Alfred the Great, who can’t stand comparison with my Alexander. Like Alexander, I am here on this newsgroup to kick ass, only in my case it is mountain biker ass, not Persian ass. Glad I was able to clear that up for you.

Rather then the "Great Dolan" it appears that it should be "Dolan the

Mouth. He talks a lot but produces no action.

Before any action can be produced there must be reams and reams of talk. That is the way of democracy.

Did you know that some mountain bikers are stating that they are giving up riding their bikes on hiking trails. Why? Mr. Vandeman has convinced them that it is too dangerous. Mr. Vandeman is a gentlemen and wants to save mountain bikers from themselves. Unlike me, I rejoice whenever a mountain biker manages to kill himself while riding his bike on a hiking trail. It is good riddance to bad rubbish!

Ah well, safer that way :-(

There are always plenty of warriors around when it comes time to kick ass literally.

By the way, you are at least fair when posting a previous message. You do not edit it to make yourself look good like so many mountain bikers do. The one thing I appreciate more than anything else on Usenet is fairness when posting messages.

Some folks seem to think that words can hurt them. I know better. All you have to have to be on Usenet is the hide of a rhinoceros and/or a duck’s back for water to run off of.

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old August 12th 13, 11:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade

An excellent summarization indeed! I recommend that you

read it over and over and then memorize it. The only thing missing is

the final

judgment. The above reasons are NOT perceptions, but FACTS. Nothing

could be

more ACTUAL!

Christ! You are even denser than I thought!

*

Well, what should I call you when you either haven't bothered to

read the report or have just completely misrepresented its conclusions ?

*

As the report makes clear, these are PERCEPTUAL issues.* For

the hard of understanding, as you now appear to be, that means that IT'S NOT
REAL !

*

They are not perceptual issues, they are real. What good does
it do to present the facts and then claim they are not real, only perceptual. We
are dealing with different levels of mentality here. Yours, which are childish
and self-serving, and mine, which are solid and above board. This is what
happens when one is devoid of common sense. The so-called perceptual issues are
my facts and the only reality that matters to me.

*

Or, to put it even more basically so even you can't misunderstand

*

No, hikers and bikers DON'T collide very often

No, bikes don't wreck the trails any more than hikers ... but

large numbers of either will have an impact

No, mountainbiking is not like motorcyling or other ATV recreation

and is not an 'inappropriate' use of trails

*

These are the perception of some hikers, but not reality.

*

All your points above have previously been dealt with and
disposed of by yours truly. Your hedges don’t excuse the
transgressions.

No, Ed, you've not 'dealt with' any of these issues. You've offered your opinion and bland assertion but you've not backed any of it up with facts. The paper to which I referred actually took what you proclaim as facts, researched them, and then reported that, in actuality, they were perceptual.

Your simply refusing to read the report, tackle the premises and conclusions, and then re-stating your prejudiced view is not 'dealing with' it.

Get back to me when you can handle the motorcycles on hiking
trails in a sensible manner. I won’t hold my breath.

What ! Again ? How many times ?? Power x 30 (at least - usually more), Weight x 10 (at least - usually more), trail damage order of magnitude higher. Plus, I seem to recall, you also have an issue with the noise.

Are you actually able to absorb new facts.
Old August 12th 13, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade

Riding your bicycle on a hiking trail is an ultimate evil.

I’ll let Stalin, Pol Pot, Ceaucescu, Amin, Mugabe and co know

:-).* What a silly overdramatisation.

Everything is in a context. We not discussing politics, but
bicycles on trails.

Then perhaps you should remember that before making such foolish, overdramatic statements ?

The laws will have to be changed because of scofflaws like
you.

Now you’ve really lost it.* You want to CHANGE the laws so

that what I’m doing now, perfectly legally, becomes illegal so that, then, you
can call me a scofflaw ?* Fantastic logic there Ed.

The only logic that is flawed is yours. Cycling on trails was
not done until recently with the advent of the mountain bike. We now need laws
to ban such usage on hiking trails. Such laws (rules) are already in place for
Wilderness Areas.

Nice non-sequitur Ed; have you tied yourself up in logic ? You called me a scofflaw; I'm not since I don't ride where I'm not permitted to do so. Care to recant ?

There are zillions of miles of roads and streets for you to
ride your bike on. Hiking trails are for walkers. This was always the case until
recently. What is new is often very bad indeed. We hikers HATE bikers on our
trails. Get your own trails! What’s the matter – can’t walk?

This is getting foolish; I have addressed all of these points again and again. Come on, surely you can come up with one actual FACT, as opposed to simple opinion, to backup your position ?

1. There are lots of roads.

So what ? We don't want to ride on roads.

2. They're OUR trails

No, Ed, they're not. They weren't built by you and they are not on land that you own. You are trying to assert special rights over a public asset.

The only one who has to change one’s mind is you. Things will
get worse before they get better. We hikers will have the last word. Why? Common
sense – something that you and all mountain bikers totally lack. All you have
got going for you is testosterone, a hormone that is only good for sex and doing
other risky things like cycling on hiking trails.

Well, if it does come down to testosterone and sex then we will out-reproduce you and win that way :-).

And your common sense is, fortunately, not so common nor is it sense. I recall that, earlier in this thread, you kept posting 'Old people die of heart disease' despite the statistics showing that Ischaemic Heart Disease is on the rise in the younger age groups. Today's Times front page highlights this risk; http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health...le3840186..ece.

So, Ed, you can see why I don't accept your 'Common Sense' ?

You do not know the hiking community at all. Restrictions are
on the way everywhere. Europeans like you should be used to restrictions. It is
here in America where we have a problem with them.

Another assertion without facts. Where I live new areas are being opened up and Scotland passed Right to Roam legislation recently which gives everyone access by NON POWERED MEANS. So, based on the evidence, things seem to be going the way I predict.

Old August 12th 13, 12:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 00:21:09 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

Democracy? Really? The concept of democracy ( the counting of noses to
provide an answer) would seems to be somewhat of a redundancy to
someone who advocates the removal of publicly owned and maintained
property from the public's use. Dictatorial would seem a more accurate
term to use.

Did you know that some mountain bikers are stating that they are

giving up riding their bikes on hiking trails. Why? Mr. Vandeman has
convinced them that it is too dangerous. Mr. Vandeman is a gentlemen
and wants to save mountain bikers from themselves. Unlike me, I
rejoice whenever a mountain biker manages to kill himself while riding
his bike on a hiking trail. It is good riddance to bad rubbish!

I see..... But I can't really grasp how threatening someone with a saw
is intended to save them.

But perhaps that is similar to the democratic action of preventing
someone from using publicly owned property.

Ah well, safer that way :-(

There are always plenty of warriors around when it comes time to kick ass literally.

From all I read, the warriors who are dedicated to keeping the
pathways clean of contamination by wheeled vehicles are rather
conspicuous by their absence.

Old August 13th 13, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"John B." wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

Before any action can be produced there must be reams and reams of talk. That is the way of democracy.

Democracy? Really? The concept of democracy ( the counting of noses to

provide an answer) would seems to be somewhat of a redundancy to
someone who advocates the removal of publicly owned and maintained
property from the public's use. Dictatorial would seem a more accurate
term to use.

Democracy in the way of discourse. That is how you persuade others to change their views and ultimately their behavior. The most efficient way to run anything is via dictatorship (tyranny). However, this can lead to huge mistakes being made. A good example of an efficient state was the Soviet Union, at least when it came to military power. But they made every mistake in the book in every other way.

Did you know that some mountain bikers are stating that they are

giving up riding their bikes on hiking trails. Why? Mr. Vandeman has
convinced them that it is too dangerous. Mr. Vandeman is a gentlemen
and wants to save mountain bikers from themselves. Unlike me, I
rejoice whenever a mountain biker manages to kill himself while riding
his bike on a hiking trail. It is good riddance to bad rubbish!

I see..... But I can't really grasp how threatening someone with a saw

is intended to save them.

Mr. Vandeman is very active posting news items about mountain bike accidents. However, it makes for boring reading since all the accidents are the same. Can you guess what the accidents are?

But perhaps that is similar to the democratic action of preventing

someone from using publicly owned property.

Since when is publicly owned property for the free use of one and all. Have you never heard of the tragedy of the commons?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old August 13th 13, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

All your points above have previously been dealt with and
disposed of by yours truly. Your hedges don’t excuse the
transgressions.

No, Ed, you've not 'dealt with' any of these issues. You've offered your opinion and bland assertion but you've not backed any of it up with facts. The paper to which I referred actually took what you proclaim as facts, researched them, and then reported that, in actuality, they were perceptual.

Your simply refusing to read the report, tackle the premises and conclusions, and then re-stating your prejudiced view is not 'dealing with' it.

The conclusion did not follow from what was reported as the issues. One person’s perceptions is another person’s facts. The only report I read was what you posted in your message. I got the gist of it just fine. We disagree on what is important and what is trivial.

Get back to me when you can handle the motorcycles on hiking
trails in a sensible manner. I won’t hold my breath.

What ! Again ? How many times ?? Power x 30 (at least - usually more), Weight x 10 (at least - usually more), trail damage order of magnitude higher. Plus, I seem to recall, you also have an issue with the noise.

The noise is the number one issue as any hiker would tell you. Power and weight do not matter - speed does! Both bikes and motorcycles will do much more damage to trails than hikers. I still want to know why motorcycles do not have as much right to trail use as bikes?

Are you actually able to absorb new facts.

Only when the facts are relevant to the issue. Who cares about power and weight when all that matters in that particular configuration is speed. Why not try to absorb that fact!

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great