Got Cue Sheets

Old October 29th 04, 02:06 AM
Badger_South

Default Got Cue Sheets

Should be a fun weekend. I just got my cue sheets for the 2005 Shenandoah
Valley Century, and nothing at -all- to do this weekend. It suddenly
occurred to me 'training ride on the SVC route'! Never too early to do a
training ride on the course. After all, would the maillot jaune leave any
detail unchecked; any hill unpunished? (Yes my friends, the hills no longer
punish us, for we are getting Hill Legs. Hopefully after this ride we will
have another kind of legs. ;-D )

Actually, it will be more like 'drive over mountains to unknown small
college town, and get lost and be taken in by generous co-eds.'

Oh, what was I saying. Century. This is supposed to be moderately up and
down, but no mountains. Thus the 'Valley' part. Any century with 'gentle,
valley, or flat' in it and I'm there. If you look at the profile, below,
you might wonder just what kind of valley this is...!

We'll probably drive parts of the route, but, after all, who really wants
to drive the entire 100 miles, even in a car..?

So I have the elevation map, the cue sheet and the right shoes and matching
helmet.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/svc.htm

-B
It's all about the accessories.

Old October 29th 04, 12:37 PM
Roger Zoul

What's the total amount of elevation gain?

Why not just ride the entire thing, Badge? If you get someone to drive the
car along or just plan to wait on you at certain points along the way, I bet
you could complete it.

Who wants to drive any of the 100 miles when you can bike it

Go for it, man!

Badger_South wrote:
:: Should be a fun weekend. I just got my cue sheets for the 2005
:: Shenandoah Valley Century, and nothing at -all- to do this weekend.
:: It suddenly occurred to me 'training ride on the SVC route'! Never
:: too early to do a training ride on the course. After all, would the
:: maillot jaune leave any detail unchecked; any hill unpunished? (Yes
:: my friends, the hills no longer punish us, for we are getting Hill
:: Legs. Hopefully after this ride we will have another kind of legs.
:: ;-D )
::

Old October 29th 04, 02:19 PM
the black rose

Badger_South wrote:
-B
It's all about the accessories.

Uh oh. Quick, get the crash cart. Badge is turning into
Fabrizio.

CLEAR!

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old October 29th 04, 04:05 PM
Badger_South

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:37:15 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

What's the total amount of elevation gain?

Why not just ride the entire thing, Badge? If you get someone to drive the
car along or just plan to wait on you at certain points along the way, I bet
you could complete it.

Who wants to drive any of the 100 miles when you can bike it

Go for it, man!

What about 'unknown college town...getting lost...and, uh, being taken in
by generous co-eds' did you fail to follow, big guy? lol.

Actually I was planning on this as an 'orienteering' expedition, since the
route is unlikely to still be marked, and there won't be any other bikers
to follow. I'm unexperienced in following cue sheets while riding - it's
not like in rally road driving where you have a navigator and driver,
heh-heh. Sure if you're riding with the group, you get lost now and then
and stop and check the map...but no reason to -plan- on getting lost.

But on your advice, it might be that I could explore that option...say
scope out the cue sheets and get a rough idea on where I'm going - it's a
complex course - and maybe ride the 50 mile loop, which is part of the
Century.

The thing is I don't want to actually ride the course before the group
ride, b/c you want some of the 'suffering-breakthrough' to occur to you.
IOW, you take on something that's over your head and then get there, but
not without some training and preparation.

It's possible that we could turn this into a two-day event. IOW, scope out
parts of it, then stay in a cheap motel and spend the night plotting and
orienteering, then ride the 50 mile route the next day.

What I lack in skill, and guts, I try to make up by planning, hehe. I did
that extensively when I ran the 10K and 10 miler races, though some of them
were tough enough, but well supported like Lynchburg that I wanted the
'full experience', so didn't recon. it. Most of my 10K races I ran at least
once before the race, but those were races, man, not group rides like this.

-B

Old October 29th 04, 04:35 PM
RWM

wrote:

What's the total amount of elevation gain?

Why not just ride the entire thing, Badge? If you get someone to drive
the
car along or just plan to wait on you at certain points along the way, I
bet
you could complete it.

Who wants to drive any of the 100 miles when you can bike it

I am a bit confused. Are you discussing pre-riding the course for a century
that is going to happen next year?

Old October 29th 04, 04:51 PM
Badger_South

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:19:01 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

Badger_South wrote:
-B
It's all about the accessories.

Uh oh. Quick, get the crash cart. Badge is turning into
Fabrizio.

CLEAR!

-km

You are ...going...to...GET IT...stomping foot

-B

Old October 29th 04, 05:59 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
:: On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:37:15 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:: wrote:
::
::: What's the total amount of elevation gain?
:::
::: Why not just ride the entire thing, Badge? If you get someone to
::: drive the car along or just plan to wait on you at certain points
::: along the way, I bet you could complete it.
:::
::: Who wants to drive any of the 100 miles when you can bike it
:::
::: Go for it, man!
::
:: What about 'unknown college town...getting lost...and, uh, being
:: taken in by generous co-eds' did you fail to follow, big guy? lol.

That's why I'm pushing you, dude!

::
:: Actually I was planning on this as an 'orienteering' expedition,
:: since the route is unlikely to still be marked, and there won't be
:: any other bikers to follow. I'm unexperienced in following cue
:: sheets while riding - it's not like in rally road driving where you
:: have a navigator and driver, heh-heh. Sure if you're riding with the
:: group, you get lost now and then and stop and check the map...but no
:: reason to -plan- on getting lost.

If this is a yearly ride, the route will be marked on the roads. You just
follow them. I never look at cue sheets while I riding, though I do take
one with me just in case.

::
:: But on your advice, it might be that I could explore that
:: option...say scope out the cue sheets and get a rough idea on where
:: I'm going - it's a complex course - and maybe ride the 50 mile loop,
:: which is part of the Century.

Microsoft Streets and Trips, 2005 version. You can lay the entire route out
ahead of time and print expanded maps with extra details. So if you should
get held prisoner by generous co-eds we'll know where NOT to come looking.

::
:: The thing is I don't want to actually ride the course before the
:: group ride, b/c you want some of the 'suffering-breakthrough' to
:: occur to you. IOW, you take on something that's over your head and
:: then get there, but not without some training and preparation.

Well, I'm not convinced it makes a whole lot of different if you ride in a
group or not as terms of the accomplishment. Certainly, it is way more fun
to ride in a group.

::
:: It's possible that we could turn this into a two-day event. IOW,
:: scope out parts of it, then stay in a cheap motel and spend the
:: night plotting and orienteering, then ride the 50 mile route the
:: next day.

That works!

::
:: What I lack in skill, and guts, I try to make up by planning, hehe.
:: I did that extensively when I ran the 10K and 10 miler races, though
:: some of them were tough enough, but well supported like Lynchburg
:: that I wanted the 'full experience', so didn't recon. it. Most of my
:: 10K races I ran at least once before the race, but those were races,
:: man, not group rides like this.

I ain't know racer. I watch them on TV.

When is this again?

You and your brother should come to Charleston SC on December 4 for the
Festavelo de Charleston. There is a metric and a real century on that day.
As it is flat (I hope), it should be an easy 100 miles. If I blow this one,
I'm giving up bicycling.

::
:: -B
::
:::
:::
::: Badger_South wrote:
::::: Should be a fun weekend. I just got my cue sheets for the 2005
::::: Shenandoah Valley Century, and nothing at -all- to do this
::::: weekend. It suddenly occurred to me 'training ride on the SVC
::::: route'! Never too early to do a training ride on the course.
::::: After all, would the maillot jaune leave any detail unchecked;
::::: any hill unpunished? (Yes my friends, the hills no longer punish
::::: us, for we are getting Hill Legs. Hopefully after this ride we
::::: will have another kind of legs. ;-D )
:::::

Old October 29th 04, 06:51 PM
Badger_South

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:59:26 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

When is this again?

You and your brother should come to Charleston SC on December 4 for the
Festavelo de Charleston. There is a metric and a real century on that day.
As it is flat (I hope), it should be an easy 100 miles. If I blow this one,
I'm giving up bicycling.

You offering a crash pad, bro? lol.

I don't know about him, certainly for next year. Me, jeeze, I'm not sure,
perhaps if it were in the spring. It's just that 12/4 is too close to prep
for.

Definitely next year...this year I'd have to let you know how my training
is going near the middle of November...but I may have an event planned for
the last week in Nov. which might conflict.

Tempting, though. Jeeze, we're talking 3 weeks of prep and planning? Not
too likely for procrastination man, haha.

-B
You got any cue sheets, map, anything? webpage?

Old October 29th 04, 08:59 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
|| On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:59:26 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
|| wrote:
||| When is this again?
||| You and your brother should come to Charleston SC on December 4 for
||| the Festavelo de Charleston. There is a metric and a real century
||| on that day. As it is flat (I hope), it should be an easy 100
||| miles. If I blow this one, I'm giving up bicycling.
|| You offering a crash pad, bro? lol.

I don't live in Charleston. I'll be driving down myself. But I'll offer you
a riding buddy! I'm always up for spying the babes.

|| I don't know about him, certainly for next year. Me, jeeze, I'm not
|| sure, perhaps if it were in the spring. It's just that 12/4 is too
|| close to prep for.

Yeah, it would be tight....but it is a *flat* ride.

|| Definitely next year...this year I'd have to let you know how my
|| training
|| is going near the middle of November...but I may have an event
|| planned for the last week in Nov. which might conflict.
|| Tempting, though. Jeeze, we're talking 3 weeks of prep and planning?
|| Not
|| too likely for procrastination man, haha.

. You're retired, right? A month for working up distance.....doable
You're not starting from ground zero.

|| -B
|| You got any cue sheets, map, anything? webpage?

http://www.festivelo.com/index.php

The route is there. I mapped it in MS Streets and Trips. It goes right by
the ocean!

Old October 29th 04, 09:24 PM
Maggie

So I have

the right shoes and matching
helmet.

-B
It's all about the accessories.

Now that's my kind of guy!!!!!

first metric century :) dailuggs UK 175 June 22nd 04 10:31 PM
Twin bed sheets for sale. Comforter for sale. Zaishao Cheng Marketplace 4 May 2nd 04 08:52 PM