LETTER - Southampton's transport plan will benefit everyone

Old June 29th 20, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

Default LETTER - Southampton's transport plan will benefit everyone

On 29/06/2020 07:47, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/06/2020 15:29, JNugent wrote:
On 28/06/2020 11:34, TMS320 wrote:
On 26/06/2020 10:57, JNugent wrote:
On 25/06/2020 14:05, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE: And at around 12mph I have time to brake for pedestrians
that seem to just ignore you on those left hand turns ENDQUOTE

A clear indication that the writer does not know the law
concerning turning traffic and pedestrians...

...but knows the overriding directive not to run them over.

Frightening pedestrians by riding straight at them or remonstrating
with them when they have the right of way (but the cyclist at best
appears not to know that) is unacceptable. I'm sure you will agree.
At least, I hope you will.

You're right. It is not acceptable to frighten pedestrians by driving
one and a half tonnes or more at them.

It's not a law. #170 Take extra care at junctions. You should ...
give way.

It's not difficult to notice most drivers don't have a clue.

Even if that were true (it isn't), it wouild not be relevant.

Don't be stupid.

The "big boys do it" defence is not valid.

Then you admit the big boys do it. Then big boys shouldn't point their
finger.

Which part of "even if it were true" were you unable to understand?

A few months ago, I was behind another cyclist that I knew and we
were about to turn left. There was a pedestrian on the pavement and
he (the cyclist) slowed to let the pedestrian pass.

I thought to myself "well done, someone that understands the
rules". Moments later he spoke to me saying that he slowed down
because the pedestrian didn't seem to be paying attention.

I told him that he was supposed to give way when turning. He
genuinely thought he had been the hero.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

You didn't make a point.

I had already made it.

The original (cyclist) writer quoted by Simon plainly did not know that
he is obliged, when turning from one street into another, to give way to
pedestrians already dcrossing the street into which he is turning.

QUOTE: And at around 12mph I have time to brake for pedestrians that
seem to just ignore you on those left hand turns
ENDQUOTE

As I said at the beginning: "A clear indication that the writer does not
know the law concerning turning traffic and pedestrians...".

But he is a cyclist. As we are all aware, those parts of the Highway
Code and the Road Traffic Acts that cyclists actually do know they just
ignore anyway.

Old June 29th 20, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 29/06/2020 12:55, JNugent wrote:
[...]

It is true.

[...]

That doesn't make him any worse than driver. And considerably
less dangerous.

But he is a cyclist. As we are all aware, those parts of the Highway
Code and the Road Traffic Acts that cyclists actually do know they
just ignore anyway.

We are not aware.
Old July 3rd 20, 02:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 29/06/2020 23:08, TMS320 wrote:

[...]

Of course it isn't. It's just another one of those little fabrications
you "think" is clever to trot out.

But even if it were true (it isn't), it would not be relevant. The "big
boys [also] do it" defence is not valid.

[...]

Now THAT is nonsense. He clearly doesn't even *know* that he is obliged
to accord precedence to pedestrians crossing a street into which he
wishes to turn and he castigates the pedestrians for something which is
HIS fault.

He's a born cyclist, eh?

Perfect example of the breed.

But he is a cyclist. As we are all aware, those parts of the Highway
Code and the Road Traffic Acts that cyclists actually do know they
just ignore anyway.

We are not aware.

I might be prepared to believe that. After all, he wasn't aware of his
own obligations under the law, was he? Why should anyone imagine that
you are any better-informed than he?

Old July 3rd 20, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 03/07/2020 02:08, JNugent wrote:
On 29/06/2020 23:08, TMS320 wrote:
On 29/06/2020 12:55, JNugent wrote:
On 29/06/2020 07:47, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/06/2020 15:29, JNugent wrote:
On 28/06/2020 11:34, TMS320 wrote:

It's not difficult to notice most drivers don't have a clue.

Even if that were true (it isn't), it wouild not be relevant.

Don't be stupid.

The "big boys do it" defence is not valid.

Then you admit the big boys do it. Then big boys shouldn't point
their finger.

Which part of "even if it were true" were you unable to understand?

It is true.

Of course it isn't. It's just another one of those little fabrications
you "think" is clever to trot out.

You have variously claimed to be a "pedestrian". You are lying.

But even if it were true (it isn't), it would not be relevant. The "big
boys [also] do it" defence is not valid.

You also can't read.
Old July 3rd 20, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 03/07/2020 09:26, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/07/2020 02:08, JNugent wrote:
On 29/06/2020 23:08, TMS320 wrote:
On 29/06/2020 12:55, JNugent wrote:
On 29/06/2020 07:47, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/06/2020 15:29, JNugent wrote:
On 28/06/2020 11:34, TMS320 wrote:

It's not difficult to notice most drivers don't have a clue.

Even if that were true (it isn't), it wouild not be relevant.

Don't be stupid.

The "big boys do it" defence is not valid.

Then you admit the big boys do it. Then big boys shouldn't point
their finger.

Which part of "even if it were true" were you unable to understand?

It is true.

Of course it isn't. It's just another one of those little fabrications
you "think" is clever to trot out.

You have variously claimed to be a "pedestrian". You are lying.

How stupid can *you* possibly be? You are excelling yourself with that one.

Every single one of us - except for those cyclists incapable of using
footways without riding a bike along them - is a pedestrian, first and
foremost. Travel by vehicle is something everyone but the most
hard-working of professional drivers does for a small minority of their
time. I haven't driven a vehicle for three days (as I write). And that
was a ten minute journey each way.

But even if it were true (it isn't), it would not be relevant. The
"big boys [also] do it" defence is not valid.

You also can't read.

You really are proving yourself to be an idiot.

Why don't you *calm* *down* and try to post while exercising a little
common sense?

I know you find it difficult, but you'll never succeed unless and until
you *try*.

Old July 3rd 20, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 03/07/2020 16:03, JNugent wrote:
[...]

This is a rather silly way to go about convincing anybody about your
habits.

On Top Gear several years ago, I recall someone mentioning that most
people never go more than something like 200 yards from their vehicle. I
believe Jeremy Clarkson expressed surprise that it was even as far as that.

I haven't driven a vehicle for three days (as I write). And that
was a ten minute journey each way.

....which tells us nothing about how far you walk.

But even if it were true (it isn't), it would not be relevant. The
"big boys [also] do it" defence is not valid.

You also can't read.

You really are proving yourself to be an idiot.

I gave my answer. Repeating your statement changes nothing.

Why don't you *calm* *down* and try to post while exercising a little
common sense?
I know you find it difficult, but you'll never succeed unless and until

you *try*.

Yes, it is difficult for me to change my response to your statement.
Old July 4th 20, 02:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 03/07/2020 20:45, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

It is what is known as "the truth".

Not, of course, that you would know anything about that.

On Top Gear several years ago, I recall someone mentioning that most
people never go more than something like 200 yards from their vehicle. I
believe Jeremy Clarkson expressed surprise that it was even as far as that.

I haven't driven a vehicle for three days (as I write). And that was a
ten minute journey each way.

...which tells us nothing about how far you walk.

So what?

But even if it were true (it isn't), it would not be relevant. The
"big boys [also] do it" defence is not valid.

You also can't read.

You really are proving yourself to be an idiot.

I gave my answer. Repeating your statement changes nothing.

You really have proven yourself to be an idiot. More than once.

Why don't you *calm* *down* and try to post while exercising a little
common sense?
I know you find it difficult, but you'll never succeed unless and until
you *try*.

Yes, it is difficult for me to...

....act reasonably and responsibly.

Letter to discourage cycling for transport. [email protected] UK 127 April 29th 09 06:18 PM
Letter to discourage cycling for transport. spindrift UK 3 April 26th 09 08:22 PM
Green Transport Plan Ian Smith UK 2 February 6th 09 11:47 PM
John Redwood's Transport Plan- cyclists share pavements. spindrift UK 33 August 24th 07 06:12 PM
Oxford Transport Plan [Not Responding] UK 1 November 15th 04 08:08 PM