A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Armed Robbery of Bicycles

Old April 14th 21, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Armed Robbery of Bicycles

In the Berkeley hills, Grizzly Peak Rd. to be exact, They have been using armed robbery to steal the wallets, phones and bicycles from Berkeley riders.. This would be an absolute snap to stop since there is very limited escape routes from this area, but the Berkeley Police would have to be interested in enforcing the laws and the Berkeley police chief is definitely in the camp of the crooks.
Ads
Old April 14th 21, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 10:34:31 AM UTC-5, wrote:
In the Berkeley hills, Grizzly Peak Rd. to be exact, They have been using armed robbery to steal the wallets, phones and bicycles from Berkeley riders. This would be an absolute snap to stop since there is very limited escape routes from this area, but the Berkeley Police would have to be interested in enforcing the laws and the Berkeley police chief is definitely in the camp of the crooks.

Well.... I am not sure how easy it would be for the police to stop it. Bikers ride, and crooks rob, from morning to evening. 16 hours a day timeline. Assuming this area you state is one way in and one way out, you would need at least 2 cops, one at each entry and exit. 16 hours a day. Sitting there waiting for crooks to enter or escape. Cops can't stop the entry since no crime has been committed yet. Escape, exit they can stop anyone and everyone most likely. But do the cops stop everyone? Or just suspicious looking people? I am sure there are various laws that state cops must have a reason to stop people. Unless they are black, then no laws apply. But are the cops going to stop every car going in and out of this area? And you stated the riders had their phones stolen. So they would have a hard time calling the cops to say a crime was committed and alert the police. And they are on foot since their bike was stolen so they have to run to the nearest house. Unless the cops are literally instructed to drive up and down this stretch of road, area, constantly, 16 hours a day, I'm not sure much could be done. And while the cops are patrolling this area nonstop, the rest of the city is unprotected. Unless more cops, $100k plus in taxes/budget to hire one extra cop, are hired for this special patrol. I presume you have heard the old saying "There's never a cop around when you need one."
Old April 15th 21, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 12:31:37 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 10:34:31 AM UTC-5, wrote:
In the Berkeley hills, Grizzly Peak Rd. to be exact, They have been using armed robbery to steal the wallets, phones and bicycles from Berkeley riders. This would be an absolute snap to stop since there is very limited escape routes from this area, but the Berkeley Police would have to be interested in enforcing the laws and the Berkeley police chief is definitely in the camp of the crooks.

Well.... I am not sure how easy it would be for the police to stop it. Bikers ride, and crooks rob, from morning to evening. 16 hours a day timeline.. Assuming this area you state is one way in and one way out, you would need at least 2 cops, one at each entry and exit. 16 hours a day. Sitting there waiting for crooks to enter or escape. Cops can't stop the entry since no crime has been committed yet. Escape, exit they can stop anyone and everyone most likely. But do the cops stop everyone? Or just suspicious looking people? I am sure there are various laws that state cops must have a reason to stop people. Unless they are black, then no laws apply. But are the cops going to stop every car going in and out of this area? And you stated the riders had their phones stolen. So they would have a hard time calling the cops to say a crime was committed and alert the police. And they are on foot since their bike was stolen so they have to run to the nearest house. Unless the cops are literally instructed to drive up and down this stretch of road, area, constantly, 16 hours a day, I'm not sure much could be done. And while the cops are patrolling this area nonstop, the rest of the city is unprotected. Unless more cops, $100k plus in taxes/budget to hire one extra cop, are hired for this special patrol. I presume you have heard the old saying "There's never a cop around when you need one."

So now you are not only an expert about bike riders but police work and the exits from a mountain road in Berkeley. Who else is surprised?