Lighting in a pinch

Old August 8th 04, 10:51 PM
Meatsa

Default Lighting in a pinch

I'm interested an LED headlight to use when and if I get caught out at
night. I own and use a NiteRider NiteHawk light for commuting in the
dark hours. But I want something light that I can use in a pinch.

Anyone have any experience with the CatEye EL300, EL400, or the
NiteHawk Emitter? Will any of these meet my needs?

TIA,

Mike
Old August 9th 04, 07:27 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h o o_d 0 t_c 0 m

Anyone have any experience with the CatEye EL300

I've used the CatEye EL300, and two of them are just adequate for city
riding. I much prefer a pair of Sigma Sport lights, which are slightly
smaller and significantly brighter.

Old August 9th 04, 01:45 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

mblotzer- I'm interested an LED headlight to use when and if I get caught out
at
night. BRBR

EL-400 for a pinch, EL-500 if you really want to see where you are going.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 1st 04, 07:26 AM
Jack Blake

Meatsa wrote in message . ..
I'm interested an LED headlight to use when and if I get caught out at
night. I own and use a NiteRider NiteHawk light for commuting in the
dark hours. But I want something light that I can use in a pinch.

Anyone have any experience with the CatEye EL300, EL400, or the
NiteHawk Emitter? Will any of these meet my needs?

TIA,

Mike

A CONSUMER'S REPORT, OPINION, AND COMPARATIVE REVIEW OF 1-WATT LUXEON
LED AND OTHER LED BICYCLE HEADLIGHTS INCLUDING OTHER USES, CAMPING,
HOME, ETC.
FROM ACTUAL OWNERSHIP ... JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH, OPINIONS

LEGEND:
A = CatEye 5-LED Opticube EL-300
(not Luxeon, uses 5mm LED with focused lenses)
B = Nite-Hawk Emitter
(2 mode, non-digital, base model)
C = Planet Bike "Super Spot" 1-watt Luxeon

RATINGS:
5 = Excellent
4 = Very Good
3 = Acceptable
2 = Less than acceptable
1 = Poor
0 = Fail
u = Unknown or Not Applicable

------------------------------------
RATING FOR EACH
A B C
OptiCube Emitter SuperSpot
------------------------------------

Wide angle light beam?
2 3 5

Brightness, trail biking?
3 5 4

Color rendition?
2 5 5

Suitability, commuter bike light?
2 4 5

Suitability, direct reading light?
1 1 5

Suitability, indirect room-light?
1 3 5

Estimated durability?
1 5 4

Adaptability, headlamp/helmet conversion?
0 2 4

Hi/Low mode?
0 5 0

Freedom from center-spot blue tint?
2 5 5

Here are other observations about LED camping lights, in my humble
opinion:

Using a LED headlight at home, for general use, instead of burning
60-watt bulbs, is possible and saves energy as well. Furthermore, my
house stayed cooler, too. I've found that I really like using the LED
light for ordinary use, and don't bother turning on houselamps and
ceiling lights at all!

A center "hot spot" is irritating for reading or general use.

I trust that my review of LED bike headlights will serve as report to
assist consumers in objectively making their buy. There weren't that
many product reviews or actual consumer reviews available during my
searches, thus, I ended up buying too many headlights instead.

Pinch points etc. John Hearns UK 22 July 22nd 04 12:20 AM
Freelights - low drag lighting system Dave Kahn UK 8 November 7th 03 11:44 PM
Catalogue of lighting misery Simon Mason UK 4 August 14th 03 08:47 AM
Suggestions on lighting systems David Johnston Techniques 16 July 28th 03 03:21 PM