New track bike chain line advice

Old August 29th 04, 10:01 AM
Zog The Undeniable

John Dacey wrote:

There have been two TA cranks bearing the name "Alize Piste". If you
have the later of the two (show in the picture at
http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/tcr-ta3.JPG), the manufacturer
recommends a bottom bracket with a symmetrical 103 mm spindle with ISO
tapers.

Didn't TA change to the Shimano (JIS) taper recently?
Old August 29th 04, 04:19 PM
Robert

Zog The Undeniable wrote in message news:41319ad6.0@entanet...
John Dacey wrote:

There have been two TA cranks bearing the name "Alize Piste". If you
have the later of the two (show in the picture at
http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/tcr-ta3.JPG), the manufacturer
recommends a bottom bracket with a symmetrical 103 mm spindle with ISO
tapers.

Didn't TA change to the Shimano (JIS) taper recently?

Thanks everyone for your comments. The chainline can be solved then,
by just fitting the correct b/b? As another point, they have fitted a
TA 9/10 speed ring, which I believe will make the ring 3/16", would
this be another poor choice of component - they have fitted a 1/8"
chain and a 1/8" rear sprocket - does this kind of mis-match lead to
any harm, chain coming off, for example? I'm sorry for all the
questions, but I have never had a fixed geared bike before. Thanks,
Robert.

Old August 29th 04, 07:02 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Robert wrote:

As another point, they have fitted a
TA 9/10 speed ring, which I believe will make the ring 3/16", would
this be another poor choice of component - they have fitted a 1/8"
chain and a 1/8" rear sprocket - does this kind of mis-match lead to
any harm, chain coming off, for example? I'm sorry for all the
questions, but I have never had a fixed geared bike before.

A 3/32" (not 3/16" - that's bigger than 1/8"!) ring works perfectly well
but won't last as long as a 1/8" ring and may be slightly noisier with
the wide chain.

The only time you may have a problem is if the 3/32" ring has cut-off
teeth to aid shifting. This is something you really don't want on any
fixed or singlespeed bike as it does give the chain somewhere to jump off.

TA make a full range of 1/8" rings to fit the Alize (130mm BCD).

Old August 30th 04, 11:25 AM
Robert

Zog The Undeniable wrote in message news:413219bb.0@entanet...
Robert wrote:

As another point, they have fitted a
TA 9/10 speed ring, which I believe will make the ring 3/16", would
this be another poor choice of component - they have fitted a 1/8"
chain and a 1/8" rear sprocket - does this kind of mis-match lead to
any harm, chain coming off, for example? I'm sorry for all the
questions, but I have never had a fixed geared bike before.

A 3/32" (not 3/16" - that's bigger than 1/8"!) ring works perfectly well
but won't last as long as a 1/8" ring and may be slightly noisier with
the wide chain.

The only time you may have a problem is if the 3/32" ring has cut-off
teeth to aid shifting. This is something you really don't want on any
fixed or singlespeed bike as it does give the chain somewhere to jump off.

TA make a full range of 1/8" rings to fit the Alize (130mm BCD).

Thanks for your notes everyone,(and correction, Zog)! To refer back to
the first of my points, is there a likelyhood of this ring breaking
off because is has not been fitted properly? The bike is being
returned this week, without much protest from them, I might add! I
seem to be having more problems than I should with this bike - I was
going to DIY it - now I wish I had! Thanks once more, Robert.

Old August 30th 04, 03:28 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Robert wrote:

To refer back to
the first of my points, is there a likelyhood of this ring breaking
off because is has not been fitted properly?

No. The chainring bolts are taking a circular shearing load and putting
them on the "stepped" side of the spider doesn't transfer any of this to
the spider.

Old August 31st 04, 02:48 AM
John Dacey

"Nemo doctus unquam (multa autem de hoc genere scripta sunt)
mutationem consili inconstantiam dixit esse." - Cicero

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:01:11 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

John Dacey wrote:

There have been two TA cranks bearing the name "Alize Piste". If you
have the later of the two (show in the picture at
http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/tcr-ta3.JPG), the manufacturer
recommends a bottom bracket with a symmetrical 103 mm spindle with ISO
tapers.

Didn't TA change to the Shimano (JIS) taper recently?

Not to my knowledge. TA did change their cups from their annoyingly
proprietary four-pin adjustable cup and three-notch lockring
configuration to a design that allows installation with the Shimano
splined bottom bracket cup tool (TL-UN74S and its various knockoffs).
Perhaps that's the Shimano connection about which you've heard.

John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996