Another "should have worn a helmet" case

Old October 9th 09, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

Default Another "should have worn a helmet" case

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6865969.ece
reports the case of someone who was killed by a golf ball while
playing golf. The newspaper didn't mention whether the deceased was
wearing a helmet and the medical mob were not out in force saying
that golfers, people taking part in a "dangerous sport", should
always wear one and it should be the law.

Double standards again.

The usual comments by the usual suspects, falsely asserting that I
am exploiting someone's death, will no doubt follow soon.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Old October 9th 09, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bod43

On 9 Oct, 12:51, David Hansen wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6865969.ece
reports the case of someone who was killed by a golf ball while
playing golf. The newspaper didn't mention whether the deceased was
wearing a helmet and the medical mob were not out in force saying
that golfers, people taking part in a "dangerous sport", should
always wear one and it should be the law.

Double standards again.

Conveniently, a lightning rod could be attached to a golf
helmet. A simple network of conductors installed in the
golf course would allow golfers to be grounded at all times
ensuring greater safety in the event of a surprise
thunderstorm.

Think of the children.
Old October 9th 09, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"David Hansen" wrote in message
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6865969.ece
reports the case of someone who was killed by a golf ball while
playing golf. The newspaper didn't mention whether the deceased was
wearing a helmet and the medical mob were not out in force saying
that golfers, people taking part in a "dangerous sport", should
always wear one and it should be the law.

One of the walks I do takes me along a public byway and through a golf club.
I proceed very cautiously and have started thinking perhaps I should be
wearing a helmet. OK, so there are those who will claim that if I *was*
wearing a helmet the golfers would are more likely to take less notice of me
but even so, I think a helmet on a golf course is overall, probably a good
idea.

Old October 9th 09, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On Oct 9, 2:24*pm, "mileburner" wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6865969.ece
reports the case of someone who was killed by a golf ball while
playing golf. The newspaper didn't mention whether the deceased was
wearing a helmet and the medical mob were not out in force saying
that golfers, people taking part in a "dangerous sport", should
always wear one and it should be the law.

One of the walks I do takes me along a public byway and through a golf club.
I proceed very cautiously and have started thinking perhaps I should be
wearing a helmet. OK, so there are those who will claim that if I *was*
wearing a helmet the golfers would are more likely to take less notice of me
but even so, I think a helmet on a golf course is overall, probably a good
idea.

Helmets for pub goers make more sense.

After all, you are more likely to get a head injury in a pub than on a
bike.
Old October 9th 09, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

bod43 wrote:

Conveniently, a lightning rod could be attached to a golf
helmet. A simple network of conductors installed in the
golf course would allow golfers to be grounded at all times
ensuring greater safety in the event of a surprise
thunderstorm.

Think of the children.

Why not attach some poultry to the lightning rod and have a barbie at
the same time?

Think of the chicken!

--
Its never too late to reinvent the bicycle
Old October 9th 09, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Gerhard

bod43 wrote:
On 9 Oct, 12:51, David Hansen wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6865969.ece
reports the case of someone who was killed by a golf ball while
playing golf. The newspaper didn't mention whether the deceased was
wearing a helmet and the medical mob were not out in force saying
that golfers, people taking part in a "dangerous sport", should
always wear one and it should be the law.

Double standards again.

Conveniently, a lightning rod could be attached to a golf
helmet. A simple network of conductors installed in the
golf course would allow golfers to be grounded at all times
ensuring greater safety in the event of a surprise
thunderstorm.

Good idea. I've never met a well grounded golfer, they all think they
are Tiger woods.

--chris
Old October 9th 09, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

spindrift wrote:
[...]

What exposure factor is that based on? Per hour? Per trip? Per mile?
Or what?

--
Matt B
Old October 9th 09, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

spindrift wrote:
[...]

Maybe so, but the article was about getting bashed on the head by a golf
ball, on a golf course. I don't go to pubs very often [1] so the pub
scenario does not really apply to me.

[1] The pubs I rarely go to are not the ones where you are likely to get a
head injury.

Old October 9th 09, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 05:59:45 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be bod43
wrote this:-

Think of the children.

If only one life is saved.

Old October 9th 09, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 14:24:50 +0100 someone who may be "mileburner"
wrote this:-

One of the walks I do takes me along a public byway and through a golf club.

Some years ago the council built a cycle path alongside a golf
course. When asked about the dangers of flying golf balls the
council official concerned responded that all cyclists should be
wearing helmets. The official managed to upset just about everybody
in a short period and left the council after a fairly short career.