Cliff plunge mountain biker saved by mobile phone

Old May 4th 07, 03:57 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Cliff plunge mountain biker saved by mobile phone

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...ame_page.html:

Cliff plunge cyclist saved by mobile phoneMay 3 2007

A mountain biker who fell over a cliff was rescued after calling for
help on his mobile phone.

After an hour-long rescue operation he was airlifted to hospital from
Hurlestone Point near Porlock Bay, north Somerset.

Swansea Coastguard watch assistant Colin Hickon, who spoke to the man,
said today: “He said he had decided to walk with his mountain bike
along this track above where he fell.

“He cannot remember what happened but seems to have slipped,” said Mr
Hickson.

“Luckily he had a mobile phone with a full battery. He was well off
the beaten track and in quite a precarious position.”

The cyclist fell 40ft down the cliff yesterday afternoon but his bike
crashed another 300ft to the bottom.

The coastguard said it took some time to find the man because he was
off the track and did not know exactly where he was.

Fire crews and lifeboats helped in the search for the cyclist, and
local walkers pointed out the area where he had fallen.

After a lifeboat crew spotted him he was airlifted to hospital
following a joint operation by the coastguard, RAF Chivenor and Devon
and Somerset fire and rescue service.

A fire service spokesman said the man was suffering from shock and
hypothermia as a result of the incident.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old May 4th 07, 04:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
OzCableguy

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...ame_page.html:

Cliff plunge cyclist saved by mobile phoneMay 3 2007

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...Sea rch&meta=

Results 1 - 10 of about 494,000 for walker cliff fall rescue.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...l+rescue&meta=

Results 1 - 10 of about 140,000 for cyclist cliff fall rescue.

Old May 4th 07, 05:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Ken Wood

On May 3, 8:57 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...adline=cliff-p...

Cliff plunge cyclist saved by mobile phoneMay 3 2007

A mountain biker who fell over a cliff was rescued after calling for
help on his mobile phone.

After an hour-long rescue operation he was airlifted to hospital from
Hurlestone Point near Porlock Bay, north Somerset.

Swansea Coastguard watch assistant Colin Hickon, who spoke to the man,
said today: "He said he had decided to walk with his mountain bike
along this track above where he fell.

"He cannot remember what happened but seems to have slipped," said Mr
Hickson.

"Luckily he had a mobile phone with a full battery. He was well off
the beaten track and in quite a precarious position."

He was also lucky that he could a connection. In the canyons and
mountains you often can't.

KW

Old May 4th 07, 11:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
JWL

Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...ame_page.html:

Cliff plunge cyclist saved by mobile phoneMay 3 2007
snip

I wonder what your motivation is for posting these reports?

As far as I'm concerned, the health benefits of mountain biking far
outweight any risk of injury out on the trail (which aren't that great
anyway).
Old May 4th 07, 09:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

Default Cliff plunge mountain biker saved by mobile phone -- He was walking ...

eom

Old May 5th 07, 02:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Mike Vandeman

On Fri, 04 May 2007 11:10:37 +0100, JWL wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...ame_page.html:

Cliff plunge cyclist saved by mobile phoneMay 3 2007
snip

I wonder what your motivation is for posting these reports?

To save your worthless life.

As far as I'm concerned, the health benefits of mountain biking far
outweight any risk of injury out on the trail (which aren't that great
anyway).

There's no net "health benefit" to mountain biking (as opposed to
other forms of aerobic exercise). In other words, you are REDUCING the
net benefit by biking off-road.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old May 5th 07, 07:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Scott G

There's no net "health benefit" to mountain biking (as opposed to
other forms of aerobic exercise). In other words, you are REDUCING the
net benefit by biking off-road.

After 10 years of riding, I've got lower body weight (was 215 now 175),
blood pressure, cholesterol, resting heartrate, and body body fat to dispute
that claim.

Old May 5th 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sat, 5 May 2007 01:11:44 -0500, "Scott G"
wrote:

There's no net "health benefit" to mountain biking (as opposed to
other forms of aerobic exercise). In other words, you are REDUCING the
net benefit by biking off-road.

After 10 years of riding, I've got lower body weight (was 215 now 175),
blood pressure, cholesterol, resting heartrate, and body body fat to dispute
that claim.

You don't understand. You could have done the same thing with many
other forms of aerobic exercise, which DON'T have the same
environmental drawbacks. NONE of that is specifically due to mountain
biking. There's nothing special about mountain biking that makes it a
better way to get those benefits. Giving credit to mountain biking is
a lie.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old May 6th 07, 05:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Scott G

there's nothing special about mountain biking that makes it a
better way to get those benefits. Giving credit to mountain biking is
a lie.

BS. It's fun. Therefore, I ride. Net health benefit.

Old May 6th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

wrote:

There's no net "health benefit" to mountain biking (as opposed to
other forms of aerobic exercise). In other words, you are REDUCING the
net benefit by biking off-road.

After 10 years of riding, I've got lower body weight (was 215 now 175),
blood pressure, cholesterol, resting heartrate, and body body fat to
dispute
that claim.

You don't understand. You could have done the same thing with many
other forms of aerobic exercise, which DON'T have the same
environmental drawbacks. NONE of that is specifically due to mountain
biking. There's nothing special about mountain biking that makes it a
better way to get those benefits. Giving credit to mountain biking is
a lie.

Giving credit to a bike for shedding pounds is sorta like giving credit to
you for saving habitat. You could save far more habitat by going after
something that actually is harmful.

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande