What is the point of tubeless tires?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 14th 19, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default What is the point of tubeless tires?

On 1/14/19 12:44 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 10:55:01 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 7:35:05 AM UTC-5, Tosspot wrote:
On 1/12/19 6:46 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/12/2019 12:11 AM,
wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they
solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing
riders?

Part of the point is "churning." Bikes and bike parts are a super-mature
industry, and bikes and their products last decades. (My favorite bike
is from 1986.) So the industry tries to come up with new ideas every
year, just to entice you to buy _something_.

Going back to the 1970s, it was "Ten speeds!" then "Touring bikes!" then
"Aluminum!" then "Mountain bikes!" ... and on and on, with front
suspension, full suspension, 6 speeds, 7 speeds, 8 & 9 & 10 & 11 speeds,
carbon fiber, electronic shifting etc. It goes on forever.

Currently it's disc brakes, tubeless tires and "gravel bikes." For
almost everyone who rides a bicycle, the improvements (if any) are
almost undetectable. We are deeply into diminishing returns, no matter
what miracles the supposed connoisseurs claim.

I take issue. Indexed ergo shifters vs downtube friction shifters, LED
LiPo lights vs dodgy glow worms, and this is going to cause trouble,
yes, hydraulic discs vs cable rim brakes.

I see what you are saying, but people don't *buy* crap. They buy it
because it's [marginally] better than what the had. Eg. I could buy
this mountain bike

https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Roadma...Black/55376950

Or I could buy this;

https://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk...8-touring-bike

By your argument, the first is a clear winner, because it's every bit as
good as the latter and 600 bucks cheaper!

Just ride.

Not wrong :-)

No, they buy it because they have no other choice. If I could, I would buy down-tube levers and top-mount shifters, but they are no longer available. I have three or four of the stupid Shimano push-button shifters. Every single one of them is broken.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Dura-.../dp/B001ONJSAK

:-)

In Franks defence, they do look nice, it's just ergo/brifters are more
convenient.

Tubeless Tires. [email protected] Techniques 0 November 18th 18 09:09 PM
Tubeless Tires [email protected] Techniques 16 August 20th 18 03:57 PM
Tubeless Tires [email protected] Techniques 5 April 12th 17 03:49 AM
tubeless tires steve Techniques 2 March 14th 08 11:18 AM
Tubeless tires MT Techniques 2 March 30th 05 09:08 AM