foot pain

Old July 18th 05, 01:30 PM
Peter Clinch

Jeff Grippe wrote:

Not the answer for me I'm afraid. For the moment I've given up on pedal
systems and I've sticking with toeclips. Frankly at my age and with my
riding style I don't really see the need for anything better.

Don't really see how age and riding style rule out something that
generally works better and is easier to use... I moved over to
SpuD-u-likes on my old upright tourer years ago because they helped me
pedal more efficiently and were easier to get in and out of than my
clips. On the recumbent the difference is even greater.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old July 18th 05, 02:37 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

Don't really see how age and riding style rule out something that
generally works better and is easier to use...

All I'm saying is that the way I ride now doesn't require the increased
efficiency. I've always ridden for the exercise. Decreased efficiency
essentially means more work for me which is what I'm out there riding for
anyway.

On my recent rail-trail trip my wife and I both noticed that I was pedaling
all the time while she got to coast quite often. The bottom line here is
that I didn't mind the fact that I was working harder. It was why I was out
there in the first place.

So for me toe clips are good enough and I know that I won't be in pain at
the end of the ride. I'm not saying that they are better or that I couldn't
learn to ride with a pedal system. It's just that efficiency isn't important
to me. Getting more exercise is. I'm not going to go out of my way to
increase my workload but I don't give a second thought to taking lots of
stuff, buying a heavier bike if it is more comfortable, or even pulling a
trailer.

Jeff

Old July 18th 05, 03:01 PM
Peter Clinch

Jeff Grippe wrote:

All I'm saying is that the way I ride now doesn't require the increased
efficiency. I've always ridden for the exercise. Decreased efficiency
essentially means more work for me which is what I'm out there riding for
anyway.

So let your tyres down a bit...
Seriously, why not just go a bit further and/or faster for the same
effort?

So for me toe clips are good enough and I know that I won't be in pain at
the end of the ride. I'm not saying that they are better or that I couldn't
learn to ride with a pedal system. It's just that efficiency isn't important
to me.

However, having your feet held where you want them with no effort is a
definite benefit on a 'bent, efficiency notwithsatnding, and IME it
improves the comfort as well.

Pete.

Old July 18th 05, 04:43 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

However, having your feet held where you want them with no effort is a
definite benefit on a 'bent, efficiency notwithsatnding, and IME it
improves the comfort as well.

If I could solve the pain problem I would do it. There are two areas that
cause me difficulty.

1. Foot pain caused by the small surface area that the pedal applies
pressure to.

2. Knee pain related to getting out of the system.

I have tried a few systems and very very stiff shoes which didn't seem to
help. Even if the stiff shoes did help, I'm not really crazy about them. The
bottom line for me seems to be too many negatives and not enough positives
to outweigh them. I didn't mean to say that I want to go out of my way to
make my rides harder. I just don't mind that they are a little harder.

Jeff

Old July 18th 05, 10:56 PM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

Don't really see how age and riding style rule out something that
generally works better and is easier to use...

All I'm saying is that the way I ride now doesn't require the increased
efficiency. I've always ridden for the exercise. Decreased efficiency
essentially means more work for me which is what I'm out there riding for
anyway.

On my recent rail-trail trip my wife and I both noticed that I was
pedaling all the time while she got to coast quite often. The bottom line
here is that I didn't mind the fact that I was working harder. It was why
I was out there in the first place.

I agree with Jeff. I too ride more for the exercise than anything else.
Therefore, I do not require the ultimate efficiency nor am I ever too
concerned about the weight of the bike either. It is only the speed freaks
who need all the latest and greatest gear.

So for me toe clips are good enough and I know that I won't be in pain at
the end of the ride. I'm not saying that they are better or that I
couldn't learn to ride with a pedal system. It's just that efficiency
isn't important to me. Getting more exercise is. I'm not going to go out
of my way to increase my workload but I don't give a second thought to
taking lots of stuff, buying a heavier bike if it is more comfortable, or
even pulling a trailer.

I rode with toe clips for over 20 years and never had a problem with them.
The main thing is to make sure they are large enough to accommodate the
length of your foot. If they are too short, you will have lots of knee pain.

However, I also agree with Peter that clipless does work better for
recumbents because of the higher BBs. I do not use toe clips anymore since I
now ride recumbents exclusively. I will admit I have never had a problem
with clipless either. The only foot problems I have ever had were numb feet
from a too high BB. The BB cannot be higher than the seat (hip joint) or I
will get numb feet.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

1 foot ww ---> gliding...how do you keep your speed up? tennisgh22 Unicycling 24 August 24th 04 12:53 AM
Clipless for Ball of Foot Pain smyrna45 General 10 August 4th 04 12:33 AM
I hurt my foot! Jayne ZA Unicycling 6 July 29th 04 01:52 PM
Foot Pain PortlandMatt Australia 2 November 15th 03 02:59 AM
Help with Cleats and foot pain Jeff Strickland General 9 August 11th 03 03:27 AM