First road bike - advice needed

Old August 11th 04, 05:48 AM
Greg

Default First road bike - advice needed

Can you offer some advice about selecting a new road bike?

Objective: Replace current four year old hybrid bike (Avanti Discovery
[6]) with something lighter and faster. I do no competitive riding,
just commuting and social rides. Virtually all my riding is on cycle
paths and roads. I don't use a pannier rack.

Rider: 185cm, 85kg. Rode an ancient 10-speed road bike until 2000.

Budget: $1000 or so, $1500 at a stretch.

Based on my visits to local bike shops, the following bikes seem to
suit my needs, and seem to have good local support.

I'm leaning towards the Learsport 7700 because it seems like good
value and the distributor is nearby. Would that be a sensible choice?
What other factors should I be considering?

Trek 1000 - [1] - $999 - Not compact frame, double chainring, alloy
fork, Shimano Sora 8-speed

Avanti Triplo Comp - [2] - $950 - Triple chainring, alloy fork,
Shimano Sora and other 8-speed components

Avanti Vivacé - [3] - $1200 - Carbon fork, double chainring, Shimano
Tiagra and Sora components

Giant OCR 3 - [4] - $900 - Triple chainring, alloy fork, Shimano Sora
and other 8-speed components

Giant OCR 2 - [7] - $1400 - Triple chainring, carbon fork, Shimano
Tiagra components

Learsport 7700 - [5] - $1099 - Carbon fork, triple chainring, Shimano
Tiagra components

Thanks,

Greg.
Canberra, Australia.

[1] http://www.trekbikes.com.au/catalogu...ategory_ id=1
[2] http://www.avanti.co.nz/bikes_detail.asp?id=142&t=7
[3] http://www.avanti.co.nz/bikes_detail.asp?id=145&t=8
[4] http://www.giant-bicycle.com/au/030.... 39&model=9739
[5] http://www.learsport.com/lear7700.htm
[6] http://www.avanti.co.nz/bikes_detail.asp?id=134&t=5
[7] http://www.giant-bicycle.com/au/030.... 39&model=9738
Old August 11th 04, 06:43 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
(Greg) wrote:

What other factors should I be considering?

Unless you're confident of fitting, where you buy it probably more
important. I'd also try to go for Tiagra ahead of Sora.

--
Shane Stanley
Old August 11th 04, 09:40 AM
Timmy

I recently bought a Trek 1400 for arond the $1800 mark, I know its a little
over your budget, but this is a $2400 bike, and most shops have big
discounts on this bike now.

I love this bike, it handles well, accelerates really well.
Has Shimano 105's.

Anyway I can recommend this one.
The 1200 might also be ok.

Old August 12th 04, 08:07 AM
Greg

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

Greg.
Canberra, Australia.