Cycling With One Leg Longer Than The Other

Old June 12th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Cycling With One Leg Longer Than The Other

My GP noted my leg length discrepency in my teens, and tried heel lifts
in shoes to compensate. After one problem in my 20's, I finally had a
really bad back pain attack in my 30's, and went to a succession of
docs, surgeons, chiros and physios. The solution (credit to my
girlfriend who found it) was a clinic in Ottawa run by a national team
ski and paddling doc and a partner physio. They showed confidence in
their diagnoses, and really sold the therapy, which was mainly bloody
hard work at hamstring and back flexibility. To this day (I'm 48) the
exercises keep me pain free, full range of motion....if I do them.
Not, if I don't.

The exercises weren't that different than others other practitioners
showed me, just a degree of commitment to them, and help doing them at
first. The leg length discrepency has not ever been an issue or
solution otherwise. Sort of a long way of saying, the first
practitioner may not be the answer.

One reference they used is a New Zealand physio Robin Mackenzie's
"Treat your own back".

The main solution exercise for me is: warm-up up with back arches
(push-ups with hips on floor), then lying flat on my back, pulling up
one straightened leg with a webbing strap, foot dorsiflexed, stretch,
then a max hip extensors contraction against the strap, relax, stretch
again, repeat 5-10 x. Hurts every time but loosens me up for days.

Cycling With One Leg Longer Than The Other Sheldon Brown General 0 June 12th 06 04:20 AM
Cycling With One Leg Longer Than The Other Rich Clark General 0 June 12th 06 03:16 AM
advisor wanted DD Recumbent Biking 275 December 1st 05 02:16 PM
published helmet research - not troll patrick Racing 1790 November 8th 04 03:16 AM
Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees Garrison Hilliard General 5 March 22nd 04 04:56 AM