Chain rub on inside of Front Derailleur

Old July 2nd 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain rub on inside of Front Derailleur

Hello,

I am leaving on loaded tour next week and won' t have time to
take my bike to the shop before I go to fix this little problem I have.

My bike is MTB w/ 22-32-42 Crankset and seven speed
13-15-17-20-23-26-30
rear cassette. FD is Shimano Nexave and RD is Deore LX. Everything is
fine except

when I am on 32 front and 30 in the back the chain rub against the
left-side inner
surface of the FD cage. Can you explain how I can adjust this?

I think I can get similar/same gear using 22 front + 20(?) on rear and
I guess I can
use that if I need that particular gear, but IF I wanted to get this
fixed on the road, I would at least like to leave w/ some knowledge of
how I can fix this

Thank you. Have a good day.

Old July 2nd 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am leaving on loaded tour next week and won' t have time to
take my bike to the shop before I go to fix this little problem I have.

My bike is MTB w/ 22-32-42 Crankset and seven speed
13-15-17-20-23-26-30
rear cassette. FD is Shimano Nexave and RD is Deore LX. Everything is
fine except

when I am on 32 front and 30 in the back the chain rub against the
left-side inner
surface of the FD cage. Can you explain how I can adjust this?

No.

I think I can get similar/same gear using 22 front + 20(?) on rear and
I guess I can
use that if I need that particular gear, but IF I wanted to get this
fixed on the road, I would at least like to leave w/ some knowledge of
how I can fix this

Thank you. Have a good day.

Assuming you're on a 26 x 1.25 MTB tire with a 170 mm crank length, your
gear inches with the 32 front, 30 rear measure out at 26.1 gear inches.
Your 22 - 20 will be close at 26.9 gear inches.

Sheldon Brown, Bike Genius would prefer we use gain ratios, and in honour of
him I offer the following gain ratio data:
32 front, 30 rear = 2.0
22 front 20 rear = 2.0

So if you go by gain ratios you are right on the money! You can do the
calculations yourself and personalize the data more precisely he
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

You're welcome. You too.
--
Snippy the Bobcat

Old July 2nd 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

If you're using e click shift front derailleur, your olny option is to
try o adjust cable tension so that you get no rub in any of your cogs.
No tan easy mission. I know.

That's why I went the easier route; I went back to my bar-end shifters
with friction shifting in the front so I could make adjustments for
chain deflection.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old July 3rd 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Chris Z The Wheelman" wrote in message
If you're using e click shift front derailleur, your olny option is to
try o adjust cable tension so that you get no rub in any of your cogs.
No tan easy mission. I know.

That's why I went the easier route; I went back to my bar-end shifters
with friction shifting in the front so I could make adjustments for
chain deflection.

Adjustments are sometimes not possible. If the inner ring is adjusted
not to rub then the outer ring will rub and vice versa. In these cases I
have taken a pair of pliers and effectively widened the cage to
eliminate the rub. It usually only requires a small tweak at the contact
point with the chain.

Phil H