RR: China Camp, San Rafael, CA

Old October 26th 06, 09:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej

Default RR: China Camp, San Rafael, CA

Just a quickie here, since you all have probably been to China Camp a
zillion times.

It's still there!

Rode with a newfound craigslist friend up to the nike missile site,
then back down through the park to the town-proper, museum, and all
that. Then back along the shoreline trail to the car, 23.7 km total,
some 400 meters climbing. Great views from the top of the hill over
San Pablo Bay, and we could see the Bay Bridge, Richmond Bridge, and
Golden Gate from one vantage. (We probably could see the Martinez
bridge, too, but I neglected to look for it.)

Not only that, but it was great views of all the north bay islands.

I'd never been to the museum before--who'd have thought SF Bay was such
a shrimp mecca? And the John Wayne movie Blood Alley was partly filmed
at there! Highly recommended. (The museum, that is--I haven't seen
the movie.)

China Camp has a load of straightforward singletrack through the forest
along the hill. There's even a grove of redwoods up there. Climbs are
pretty easy at exactly the slope I love; I even leave my uberclimber
buddy behind as I sprint up the mountain.

Admission $0 if you park out on the street, which everyone does.

Enjoy the weather while it lasts!

-Beej