Squeak in front wheel

Old October 21st 08, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
anonymousNetUser

Default Squeak in front wheel

I just started riding a bicycle again after about 20 years. Trying to
lose some weight and get a little exercise.

I bought a beach cruiser style bicycle and have been riding it back and
forth to work and on weekends. Work is a short distance, and weekend
rides have been no more than about 5/6 miles.

Only had the bike a couple months.

A couple weeks ago, I began to notice a small squeak in the front wheel
when I push the bike slowly. It disappears (or I just can't hear it)
when riding it.

Wondering if this is part of the normal wear-in of the bike, or
something for which I should take it back to my LBS?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old October 21st 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 21, 1:14*am, anonymousNetUser wrote:
I just started riding a bicycle again after about 20 years. Trying to
lose some weight and get a little exercise.

I bought a beach cruiser style bicycle and have been riding it back and
forth to work and on weekends. Work is a short distance, and weekend
rides have been no more than about 5/6 miles.

Only had the bike a couple months.

A couple weeks ago, I began to notice a small squeak in the front wheel
when I push the bike slowly. It disappears (or I just can't hear it)
when riding it.

Wondering if this is part of the normal wear-in of the bike, or
something for which I should take it back to my LBS?

Thanks in advance for the input.

If you are unsure about how to check into the wheel yourself it would
make a lot of sense to have your LBS check it out.

Lewis.

*****
Old October 22nd 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

I just started riding a bicycle again after about 20 years. Trying to
lose some weight and get a little exercise.

I bought a beach cruiser style bicycle and have been riding it back and
forth to work and on weekends. Work is a short distance, and weekend
rides have been no more than about 5/6 miles.

Only had the bike a couple months.

A couple weeks ago, I began to notice a small squeak in the front wheel
when I push the bike slowly. It disappears (or I just can't hear it)
when riding it.

Wondering if this is part of the normal wear-in of the bike, or
something for which I should take it back to my LBS?

Thanks in advance for the input.

The first rule of mystery noises is that they
can come from anywhere. The frame transmits
the noise at much higher speed than air, and
this confuses our location sense.

Many people disagree with my second rule.
Do not fix it until you locate it.
Effort spent actually finding the noise
is better spent than effort disassembling,
cleaning, and lubricating random assemblies.

To diagnose, try anything. If it is a riding
along noise ride one handed, no handed, one
foot pedaling, the other foot pedaling, feet
off the pedals, ...

When you push the bicycle, what do you hold?
Try pushing it along using different grips
and grip points. Push it backwards. Push it
on one wheel, the other wheel, _no_ wheels.
Nothing is out of bounds when diagnosing.

--
Michael Press
Old October 23rd 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
anonymousNetUser

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

I just started riding a bicycle again after about 20 years. Trying to
lose some weight and get a little exercise.

I bought a beach cruiser style bicycle and have been riding it back and
forth to work and on weekends. Work is a short distance, and weekend
rides have been no more than about 5/6 miles.

Only had the bike a couple months.

A couple weeks ago, I began to notice a small squeak in the front wheel
when I push the bike slowly. It disappears (or I just can't hear it)
when riding it.

Wondering if this is part of the normal wear-in of the bike, or
something for which I should take it back to my LBS?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Thanks Michael!

The first rule of mystery noises is that they
can come from anywhere. The frame transmits
the noise at much higher speed than air, and
this confuses our location sense.

Done. When I first started hearing it, it sounded like it was coming
from the back wheel hub.

Many people disagree with my second rule.
Do not fix it until you locate it.

Good rule. One politicians and people in general should follow.

Effort spent actually finding the noise
is better spent than effort disassembling,
cleaning, and lubricating random assemblies.

To diagnose, try anything. If it is a riding
along noise ride one handed, no handed, one
foot pedaling, the other foot pedaling, feet
off the pedals, ...

No riding noise.

When you push the bicycle, what do you hold?

Both handle bars.

Try pushing it along using different grips
and grip points. Push it backwards. Push it
on one wheel, the other wheel, _no_ wheels.
Nothing is out of bounds when diagnosing.

Lift the back wheel off the ground, and gently spin the back wheel. No
noise. Lift the front wheel off the ground and gently spin the front
wheel, noise.

Sit on bike with weight on both hubs, and move slowly using pointed toes
on ground and not moving pedals, no noise.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the front hub with little or no weight
on the wheel.
Old October 23rd 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

[...]

My _guess_ is the wheel bearings do not have enough grease
and are rattling around. Most bikes out of boxes and
wheels out of boxes do not have enough grease in their
bearings. Basically bicycle bearings should have no air
space after you pack them with grease. Then you wipe the
overflow for the next couple of days.

Problem is that while opening up the bearings and putting
them back together is a doddle for we shade tree mechanics,
it can be daunting at first if you have not done it. Do
you know anyone who works on his own bicycles? Could you
take pictures and post them somewhere in the fond hope
that we can tell you more?

And don't stop looking just because some loonie on the
internet made a diagnosis.

--
Michael Press
Old October 23rd 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
anonymousNetUser

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

[...]

I bought the bike about a month and a half ago, and it has less than 50
miles on it, so it's still practically new. When I was a kid, and had
access to my grandfather's shop and tools, I wouldn't hesitate to tackle
this myself.

I think I'm just going to take it back to the LBS where I bought it.
It's not far and I can fit it in on my normal weekend errands this Saturday.

Thanks for the kind insight. ;-)
Old October 23rd 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

[...]

Did you remove the front wheel and isolate the sound?

--
Michael Press
Old October 25th 08, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

My _guess_ is the wheel bearings do not have enough grease
and are rattling around. Most bikes out of boxes and
wheels out of boxes do not have enough grease in their
bearings. Basically bicycle bearings should have no air
space after you pack them with grease. Then you wipe the
overflow for the next couple of days.

I came across an interesting one the other day, on a new bike I was
selling. I couldn't hear the noise at first, but the customer picked up
on it fairly quickly on a test ride. You could only hear it within a
certain small range of speed. Fortunately I was in a mind set to throw
out conventional wisdom and consider something unusual, and note that it
reminded me of the time climbing Mt. Hamilton when I thought I had a
bird following me due to an incessant chirp that turned out to be coming
from a dry derailleur jockey wheel seal. So I put a small amount of oil
on the seal and voila, noise gone. You just wouldn't think a rubber seal
would make a noise like that.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

[...]

Front wheel stolen :( Looking for Tektro IO front disc or similar puck UK 1 September 29th 06 09:14 AM
Squeak squeak D.M. Procida UK 11 October 13th 05 11:09 PM
WTB: Front TT wheel and/or rear disc wheel.. turquise Marketplace 0 June 26th 05 03:41 AM
WTB: Front TT wheel and/or rear disc wheel.. turquise Marketplace 0 June 24th 05 09:54 PM
WTB:24" front aeroTT wheel....24" aero front fork.... [email protected] Marketplace 2 March 31st 05 04:09 PM