Wind-blocking pants

Old October 22nd 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

Default Wind-blocking pants

On 10/21/2008 5:32 PM Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

I'm looking for some simple wind-blocking trousers to go over my jeans
when I ride my town bike of a cold evening. Just some simple freakin'
ripstop nylon or nylon taffeta pants with a drawstring or elastic waist,
zippered cuffs.

Not Spandex cycling tights,* and not some high-tech Goretex mountaineering
pants. Pockets, waterproofing not required.

Why am I asking here? I'm running out of ideas.

I've checked nashbar, performance, sierra trading post, and campmor.

=============
* Short chubby men in tights are not pleasing to the eye.

@ Carl and Martin: REI's Sierra Designs Hurricane LT Pants are just the
ticket. Thanks.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 22nd 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 10/22/2008 7:48 AM still just me wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:06:16 -0700, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:

I got the long undies, but I like the simplicity of suiting up in wind
pants compared with the more complicated (and necessarily private) process
of changing out of and back into long johns.

I see your issue... but jeans are uncomfortable to cycle in and the
open fabric lets winds blow through. The only advantage might be that
those voids would act as insulation if the hurricane pants are truly
impermeable by wind.

The long undies with the hurricane pants are a much better choice if
you don't mind changing later. I use a combo like that for running at
temps as low as 10-15 degrees in the wind and I don't feel cold. I
would think cycling would be good down to about 35 degrees with the
same choice

Jeans are indeed uncomfortable on a road bike, but for short jaunts on my
town bike they work just fine. Changing for an evening meeting in a
well-heated room would be easier with wind pants than longies,
layer-adjusting-wise. When things get nice & cool, wind pants over jeans
over longies is the next great step. I'd need the jeans regardless on
account of how unflattering tights are for a fellow with my burly build
and nylon wind pants are simply TOO noisy for meetings.

Crosses legs. SFX: Rustle rustle rustle

It's all experimentation and find what works best for one.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 23rd 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Mike Rocket J Squirrel:
Not Spandex cycling tights,* and not some high-tech Goretex mountaineering
pants. Pockets, waterproofing not required.

I always thought the ticket would be something like wind pants
and a wind shirt - but with the backs cut out and replaced with
open mesh.

Basically chaps on the bottom - solid front, mesh back... and
shirt on the top with mesh on the front of the arms/chest and
mesh on the back.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 23rd 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Oct 22, 6:23*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Mike Rocket J Squirrel:

Not Spandex cycling tights,* and not some high-tech Goretex mountaineering
pants. Pockets, waterproofing not required.

I always thought the ticket would be something like wind pants
and a wind shirt - but with the backs cut out and replaced with
open mesh.

Basically chaps on the bottom - solid front, mesh back... *and
shirt on the top with mesh on the front of the arms/chest and
mesh on the back.
--
PeteCresswell

http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/

-pm
Old October 23rd 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

http://www.rei.com/category/4500264/...27s+Rain+Pants
Old October 23rd 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
Jeans are indeed uncomfortable on a road bike, but for short jaunts on
my town bike they work just fine. Changing for an evening meeting in a
well-heated room would be easier with wind pants than longies,
layer-adjusting-wise. When things get nice & cool, wind pants over jeans
over longies is the next great step. I'd need the jeans regardless on
account of how unflattering tights are for a fellow with my burly build
and nylon wind pants are simply TOO noisy for meetings.

You might have to change the jeans too, if you're wearing nylon
over-pants for a time, because by blocking the wind you also impair the
vaporisation of moisture generated while biking. A typical bike rainsuit
is a good replacement for going to the sauna ;-) Sure that depends on
the conditions, your fitness and so on. You'll definetely have to remove
them once you get off the bike ;-)

Personally I completely dislike thights. They make me feel un-clothed.
Still I change into them before I go biking and change again once I
arrive (if the weather permits I use shorts or other). I even have short
"knee-tubes" which I can wear under normal pants to keep the legs warm.
Using these (often the thights in combination with the knee-things, I
stay comfortably warm even when cycling in cold weather, so for me there
is no need to use wind-stopping over-pants. If it gets wet, however,
you'll still freeze quickly, so the rain pants are sometimes necessary
for staying warm. Getting wet is preferable from getting too cold.

You'll have to check what's best for you, I'd suggest you try out
different options: thights below pants, tights without pants pants with
nylon over-pants, etc. If you can, also try the knee-tubes below normal
pants. And there are very good outdoor-pants with or without lining and
with or without leg-zip-off option - these are preferable to jeans in my
oppinion ;-)

Have fun!

Old October 23rd 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 10/23/2008 7:25 AM still just me wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:23:05 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Basically chaps on the bottom - solid front, mesh back... and
shirt on the top with mesh on the front of the arms/chest and
mesh on the back.

Buttless chaps? You're in the wrong newsgroup!

rec.bicycles.attire.outrageous?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 23rd 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

wrote:
I'm looking for some simple wind-blocking trousers to go over my jeans
when I ride my town bike of a cold evening. Just some simple freakin'
ripstop nylon or nylon taffeta pants with a drawstring or elastic waist,
zippered cuffs.

Not Spandex cycling tights,* and not some high-tech Goretex mountaineering
pants. Pockets, waterproofing not required.

Why am I asking here? I'm running out of ideas.

I've checked nashbar, performance, sierra trading post, and campmor.

=============
* Short chubby men in tights are not pleasing to the eye.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

http://www.rei.com/category/4500264/...27s+Rain+Pants

Thanks Peter and all, I'll be getting a pair of the Sierra Designs
Hurricane LT Pants for a mere $25, delivered to my friendly local REI
store. Gives me an excuse to visit and see all the yuppie and tech
clothing & gear I can't afford.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 23rd 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

rPer pm:
http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/

Those look even more functional than what I had in mind -for the
legs, at least.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 24th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 10/23/2008 2:28 PM (PeteCresswell) wrote:

rPer pm:
http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/

Those look even more functional than what I had in mind -for the
legs, at least.

AND think how dapper you'll look when you enter a restaurant!

In my mind, form sometimes follows function so rigidly that it starts
looking bizarre. But IMHO. Member FDIC. Remember the Pubelo. Wear white at
night. Offer void where prohibited ... and other disclaimers.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

Pearl Izumi wind pants mens medium Mike Marketplace 0 January 31st 08 09:36 PM
Blocking RS Techniques 25 July 23rd 07 01:38 AM
Cars blocking box junction - any suggestions? Sue White UK 28 June 22nd 06 10:46 PM
Out of my Way, You're Blocking the Bike Trail oilfreeandhappy General 4 February 25th 06 12:51 PM
Out of my Way, You're Blocking the Bike Trail oilfreeandhappy Techniques 1 February 18th 06 12:08 AM