Inside a Chainglider after 3500km with zero chain maintenance

Old April 9th 15, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Inside a Chainglider after 3500km with zero chain maintenance

On 2015-04-08 3:46 PM, wrote:
J if real I dunno how you handle it. Just too much dirt/mile

Rolloff MTB ? never thought of that...

Rohloff hubs are very popular with MTB riders in Europe. A friend
visiting Germany rented a MTB there and to his surprise it came with a
Rohloff hub. Considered almost normal there. In the US, not so, never
seen one on the trails and I see a lot of bikes there.

[...]

The idea is that it is not normal/stupid to ride with an open gearbox in
bad conditions. According to that idea a gearhub is the way to go. If
you want a wide range (MTB) and a good efficiency (sportive riding) you
end up with a Rohloff hub naturally.
Your gearbox of your car is also closed and filled with oil. No?

The gearbox in my car does not cost as much as a whole rest of the
vehicle itself. Not even close. The Rohloff does. That is a major
difference.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 9th 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

On 2015-04-08 3:46 PM, wrote:
J if real I dunno how you handle it. Just too much dirt/mile

Rolloff MTB ? never thought of that...

Rohloff hubs are very popular with MTB riders in Europe. A friend
visiting Germany rented a MTB there and to his surprise it came with a
Rohloff hub. Considered almost normal there. In the US, not so, never
seen one on the trails and I see a lot of bikes there.

[...]

The idea is that it is not normal/stupid to ride with an open gearbox in
bad conditions. According to that idea a gearhub is the way to go. If
you want a wide range (MTB) and a good efficiency (sportive riding) you
end up with a Rohloff hub naturally.
Your gearbox of your car is also closed and filled with oil. No?

The gearbox in my car does not cost as much as a whole rest of the
vehicle itself. Not even close. The Rohloff does. That is a major difference.

You telling us that you break everything or everything is knocked off
riding your epic trails. I was wondering you didn't mention knocking of
your rear derailleur every ride or two yet. That would also be a reason to
go for a gear hub. Are Americans so poor that they can't save up for a
Rohloff hub if that would be the solution for their kind of riding and we
Europians can? Are we making more money, are we smarter or putting our
priorities different? Just asking.

--
Lou
Old April 9th 15, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-04-09 17:03:26 +0000, Joerg said:

On 2015-04-08 3:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

To my surprise that has never more than bent a bit. Seems to be very
sturdy because it did receive serious hits by flying rocks. A derailer
is fairly flexible, moves with the punches.

... That would also be a reason to
go for a gear hub. Are Americans so poor that they can't save up for a
Rohloff hub if that would be the solution for their kind of riding and we
Europians can? Are we making more money, are we smarter or putting our
priorities different? Just asking.

Different priorities. In America we tend to use what works and not go
overboard, then spend the saved money for other fun things. I am all for
a gear hub but not if they want a whopping $1500 without spokes, labor
or anything. Plus AFAIK then you have to use their disc because of some
special 4-hole mount and I'd like to remain independent there.

Old April 10th 15, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 2015-04-09 17:03:26 +0000, Joerg said:

On 2015-04-08 3:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

Though it is not difficult to spend $10,000 on a bicycle these days, and
then the gear box hub is only 1/5 of the total cost.

You can of course buy cheaper gear box hubs, and they may do fine for
most people. A quick search shows you can buy a Shimano Alfine 8 speed
Di2 hub in the US for under $300, and from the same shop you can buy a
SA 3 speed gear box hub for about $100 - which would be fine for many
people who only ride on the road.

--
JS
Old April 10th 15, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 6:00:58 AM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 11:36:03 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 9:28:13 PM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 1:52:20 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Jute

you are an ugly pig and a barbarian vanity press author

According to Gene Daniels, the group quarterwit, Secker & Warburg, Harper, Bantam, W W Norton, St Martin's, Warner Books, Sphere, Rotovision of Switzerland, Batsford, David & Charles, etc, etc, most of the world's top publishers, who all published my books, are all "vanity publishers". And my Swedish, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, many Spanish, Japanese, Greek, etc, etc, publishers in translation, all "vanity presses", huh?

Yeah? You're wanking, Daniels.

Add another subject of which the poor ****wit Daniels know absolutely nothing. That completes an entire Dewey classification of which Gene Daniels is ignorant. Mind you, to be fair, this clown Daniels probably thinks Dewey was a "vanity publisher".

the info sez FIBER COGS...the rebuild video sez FIBER COGS.

MAN TAKES HIS APRAT AND SEZ FIBER COGS

Well, show it to us, sonny; we promise not to laugh at the gullible hick from the sticks.

Andre Jute
How difficult could it be to stick to what you know? The rest of us manage just fine.

you pay they print

You wish. If it were so, anyone could be a writer, even illiterates like you.

You can lead an illiterate to the fountain of syntax but you can't make him drink of it.

LOL.

Andre Jute

Jute you are living proof a not Irish old windbag can not write
Old April 10th 15, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 2015-04-09 17:03:26 +0000, Joerg said:

On 2015-04-08 3:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

Good questions.

I met a group of 3 riders a month or two ago, who were all riding road
bikes on the road - and flat roads at that, yet one guy had ripped his
rear derailleur off and broken numerous spokes in the rear wheel. It
was not a case of the derailleur getting caught on the spokes at all,
instead he rode over some of these seed pods, and one had caused all
this damaged.

https://photos.travelblog.org/Photos...ana-Tree-1.jpg

The seed pods are very strong.

--
JS

Old April 10th 15, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lou

owning a rohloff ? be serious

tooo Euro...

reasonable expenditures for reasonable, effective bicycle machinery DOES NOT CONJURE that

Old April 10th 15, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On 2015-04-09 17:03:26 +0000, Joerg said:

On 2015-04-08 3:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

Surprising number of Thorn touring bikes with Rohloff boxes in Australia; very active high-mile owners. I have no idea what they cost landed at your door Down Under but in England you can get a high spec one for under three grand sterling, which would be about 2400STG for export after you remove the VAT.

A Rohloff is a good option for the cheap rich. You spend the money once, and then you can ride 5000km for about 15 Euro, which is what the oil change kit costs (if you're a high-miler you buy the oil in a huge can and it costs much less per service). The only other service cost specifically related to the Rolloff is a shot of any grease you keep for the rest of your bike into the EXT box. That's it, every 5000km/3000m or once a year, forever. And then you leave your Rohloff to your grandchildren.

Andre Jute
The German heirloom
Old April 10th 15, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-04-09 17:03:26 +0000, Joerg said:

On 2015-04-08 3:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

According to Andre they don't last. I am pretty brutal on bikes, lots of
offroad hill sections that have to be hammered up.

-- JS

Surprising number of Thorn touring bikes with Rohloff boxes in
Australia; very active high-mile owners. I have no idea what they
cost landed at your door Down Under but in England you can get a high
spec one for under three grand sterling, which would be about 2400STG
for export after you remove the VAT.

That looks like a good deal. Not so much for this area though because
here you need a sturdy mountain bike, else it'll break.

A Rohloff is a good option for the cheap rich. You spend the money
once, and then you can ride 5000km for about 15 Euro, which is what
the oil change kit costs (if you're a high-miler you buy the oil in a
huge can and it costs much less per service). The only other service
cost specifically related to the Rolloff is a shot of any grease you
keep for the rest of your bike into the EXT box. That's it, every
5000km/3000m or once a year, forever. And then you leave your Rohloff
to your grandchildren.

Does Rohloff offer a chain protector for a full suspension mountain
bike? That would be the whole point of having a Rohloff in the first
place, the avoidance of the frequent chain cleanings.

Andre Jute The German heirloom

Are you from Germany?

Old April 10th 15, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2015-04-09 17:03:26 +0000, Joerg said:

On 2015-04-08 3:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

How many Europeans are using Rohloff hubs? A lot of people don't like the drag, weight, expense, complexity. There is little if any long-term pay-off for the type of riding they do. I know a lot of people who race mountain bikes -- pros, top national riders, strong local riders, and none of them use Rohloff hubs. None of my CX friends own them. I would think that if they were clearly superior for the type of riding done by this cohort (and the length of time they keep their bikes), I would see at least one. Rohloff makes a great hub with lots of benefits for a certain crowd, but it is not the crowd I ride with.

-- Jay Beattie.