Newbie fork questions

Old July 21st 03, 11:36 PM
cyclist101

Default Newbie fork questions

tumbleweed wrote:
I just bought a frame and need to get a fork for it, (looking at
carbon) and have a few questions for the group before I buy.

1. What is 'rake', and how do know how much I need for my frame?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_r.html#rake

2. Threaded vs. threadless -- are there advantages/disadvantages for
each?

Not really, except in terms of choices of headset, quill or stem, etc.
It really depends if your head tube is threaded or not.

3. What are some considerations I should know about when shopping for
headsets?

Hmmm, what kind of riding will you do?

4. What does the group think about ebay? I've seen lots of new
'no-name' forks for cheap. (get what you pay for?) Is there much risk
in buying a --carefully selected-- used fork?

I've put together some dirt cheap bikes using eBay. My only concerns
about "no-name" parts would include things like the possibility they're
quality-control rejects. Does the seller know who manufactured? Do the
forks come with a warranty (unlikely, but possible)?

As for used forks, I'd ask the seller for pics taken at every possible
angle to make sure there are no noticeable defects. Then you're still
taking the seller at his word.

One last note about using eBay. Yeah, you can save some money. You can
also lose some (especially since you're not quite sure what you need).
Don't forget to add shipping in to the mix.

5. Are there any other factors that I should take into consideration?

Do you know if your head tube is 1" or 1.25"? Do you know how long your
steerer tube needs to be to fit? Are you capable yourself of cutting
down a longer one to fit your tube?

Have you checked prices at your local bike shops? You may find that to
be more to your advantage since (1) you'll know exactly with whom you're
dealing, (2) you're right there if you have a problem with the parts,
and (3) your local guys can look at your frame and tell you exactly
which parts you need. Since you're a newbie, I'd think the third point
alone would more than cover any price difference between a LBS and eBay.

I'm putting it onto a Trek 54 cm road bike, 700 cc wheels, and I'm
looking at a price range around $200 (including headset).

That can be done if you know what you need first. Good luck.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:17 AM
bobqzzi

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:36:14 GMT, cyclist101 wrote:

tumbleweed wrote:
I just bought a frame and need to get a fork for it, (looking at
carbon) and have a few questions for the group before I buy.

1. What is 'rake', and how do know how much I need for my frame?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_r.html#rake

2. Threaded vs. threadless -- are there advantages/disadvantages for
each?

Not really, except in terms of choices of headset, quill or stem, etc.
It really depends if your head tube is threaded or not.

He means the fork steerer tube .

Old July 22nd 03, 12:18 AM
Mike S.

"cyclist101" wrote in message ...
tumbleweed wrote:
I just bought a frame and need to get a fork for it, (looking at
carbon) and have a few questions for the group before I buy.

1. What is 'rake', and how do know how much I need for my frame?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_r.html#rake

2. Threaded vs. threadless -- are there advantages/disadvantages for
each?

Not really, except in terms of choices of headset, quill or stem, etc.
It really depends if your head tube is threaded or not.

'scuse me if I break in here. When's the last time you saw a "threaded head
tube?" Threaded fork maybe, but never a threaded head tube!

If you're going with a new carbon fork, chances are it'll have a threadless
steerer tube. Plan accordingly. Head on over to www.chucksbikes.com and
check out the Reynolds Ouzo Comp for $110. (1 1/8" only)

3. What are some considerations I should know about when shopping for
headsets?

For a decent traditional headset, look at a Cane Creek C2. Sealed bearings,
not too expensive. If the frame's an integrated style, you're going to have
to find the kind that fits your frame.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:51 AM
cyclist101

bobqzzi wrote:
Not really, except in terms of choices of headset, quill or stem, etc.
It really depends if your head tube is threaded or not.

He means the fork steerer tube .

Had too many irons in the fire when I typed that, SORRY. Too bad nobody
caught the other mistake (typo, I swear):

Do you know if your head tube is 1" or 1.25"?

Should be 1" or 1.125" (I hate typing 1 1/8").

snip

Old July 22nd 03, 01:41 AM
Lewdvig

I just got a Cane Creek C2 headset and Aprebic (?) carbon fork from iCycles
(eBay auction). Fast shipping and good price. The whole shebang was $80
before shipping.

I have been eBaying like crazy lately and have had no bad experiences. I
bought a Dura Ace equipped GIOS, sold the Dura Ace, bought a campy gruppo,
bought the fork and headset, stems, seatpost, etc. Its fun buying and
selling stuff.

I love LBSes, I used to manage a shop. Its important to balance your eBaying
with local shop support.

"tumbleweed" wrote in message
I just bought a frame and need to get a fork for it, (looking at
carbon) and have a few questions for the group before I buy.

1. What is 'rake', and how do know how much I need for my frame?

2. Threaded vs. threadless -- are there advantages/disadvantages for
each?

3. What are some considerations I should know about when shopping for
headsets?

4. What does the group think about ebay? I've seen lots of new
'no-name' forks for cheap. (get what you pay for?) Is there much risk
in buying a --carefully selected-- used fork?

5. Are there any other factors that I should take into consideration?

I'm putting it onto a Trek 54 cm road bike, 700 cc wheels, and I'm
looking at a price range around $200 (including headset).

TIA for your help!!

Paul

Lance Questions From a Newbie Lanceandrew Racing 13 July 19th 04 05:18 PM
Last few newbie questions... (coaster, drum, S-RAM/Nexus, etc...) Lobo Tommy General 5 April 23rd 04 02:42 AM
Newbie questions Adam Bender General 3 August 28th 03 07:29 AM
A couple of newbie questions (tubes, SPD pedals, tires) Jeff Techniques 6 July 17th 03 03:42 AM
Newbie Questions... John Wordsworth Mountain Biking 2 July 12th 03 03:52 PM