College Dorm + Unicycle Limitations

Old June 16th 05, 10:59 PM
Jester2000

Default College Dorm + Unicycle Limitations

In September I'm going to be moving into a college dorm room, and
unfortunately won't have the space for many unicycles. I need to figure
out which ones I'll take (which is something only I can decide on), and
how to store them in my room. You aren't supposed to put hooks in the
ceiling, or really do anything destructive to the walls. I was thinking
perhaps some type of net up high might work... I dunno. Obviously, I
could just try and store them in a corner, but space is going to be
really limited. Also, I'll have a roomate.

So, for everyone out there that has unicycles in their dorm room, and
those that *had* unis in their dorm room, how did you do it? How many
did you have? How did you store them? Etc.

And anyone else who hasn't been in the situation, please feel free to go
ahead and post and give advice.

Thanks!

Later,

Jess

--
Jester2000 - "Don't think. Feel." -MacGyver

'unicyclejester.com' (http://www.unicyclejester.com) | 'busteduni.com'
(http://www.busteduni.com) | 'primitivepictures.net'
(http://www.primitivepictures.net) | 'teamprimitive.com'
(http://www.teamprimitive.com)
The next installment coming JUNE..JULY..(?).. ack.. to a browser near
you. It's going to be BIG!
My Photos! 'My 18th bday weekend'
(http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/my_18_wkend) | 'Zack's 17th bday
weekend' (http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/zack_kaori/) | 'Toque
2005' (http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/toque_05) | 'Moab 2005'
(http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/moab_05) | 'Dan Heaton'
(http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/dan_heaton_visits) | 'My Uni
album' (http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/uni)
Jester2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3662

Old June 16th 05, 11:10 PM
tugboat

Hey Jess! I'm in the same situation! I didn't really think about it,
except I figure I can sacrifice clothing space in the closet lol. I
think I'm gonna take 2 with me, my trials and my freestyle. I would take
a muni too if I had one. I'm interested too in how to keep them without
them being in the way and all that. Where are you going to college
Jess?

Kevin

--
tugboat - street unicyclist

"You won't get hurt if you land it!"
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

Old June 16th 05, 11:18 PM
Ben Plotkin-Swing

Yup, I've got the same problem as well. I'm gonna take three, space be
damned. 29er, 24X3 and trials. I'm hoping I can find some way to hang
them from the ceiling. Or maybe take pedals off and store them under the
bed.

--
Ben Plotkin-Swing - MUni rider

www.benps.com

"Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible" -Fortune
cookie.
Ben Plotkin-Swing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/378

Old June 16th 05, 11:19 PM
johnfoss

If you're not planning to bring your Coker or 8-footer, you shouldn't be
too bad off.

If you have shelves in your room, depending on where they are you might
be able to attach come kind of hook to them. Or if you're feeling really
inventive, you could probably devise some sort of freestanding rack to
fit the shape of your room. Something like a floor-to-ceiling post, to
which you could attach hooks or whatever to hold up the unicycles. You
could wedge it against the ceiling where it wouldn't need to make any
holes.

Or just go ahead and put a hook up, and repair it before you leave!

It's raining. I can't believe it's raining, in June, in Sacramento. It's
not supposed to. If it doesn't dry up, looks like we'll have to put off
the ride today...

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old June 16th 05, 11:26 PM
john_childs

One space generating trick is to put your bed up on cinder blocks. That
gets you more space under the bed. That, of course, depends on the
type of bed. Space above and below the bed is often begging to be made
more useful.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/963jr)

Old June 16th 05, 11:29 PM
Memphis Mud

Too bad no ceiling hooks. With enough of them you could hang your Unis
flush to the ceiling (not dangling)

How about something like this. You could put littler hooks down the
sides to hold your helmet, camelback, etc.

| Attachment filename: storage rack.gif |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/326420|

Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

"winter in peanut butter comes turquoise" -Greg Harper
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old June 16th 05, 11:34 PM
fcwegnm0b

I planned on taking just my trials to school in the fall... until I got
a muni, and realized just how impractical a 20" is for transportation. I
want my muni for going places, and my trials for... trials.. I would
just leave the muni home, but I'm going to be right in the Pococno's
(East Stroudsburg)....

I'm going to just take both, and hope I get into the new, bigger, better
dorm. If there really ins't enough room, just send one home.

Dave

--
fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

"You wanna go to Denny's"

"...Ahh, I'm already there....."
fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

Old June 16th 05, 11:34 PM
Jester2000

Hey, good idea John. I think that post in the corner with hooks would
probably work nicely!

Kevin- I'm going to University of California, Santa Barbara. You still
going to that N. Carolina school? Ben, where are you going?

I'm hoping I can bring the Coker. That Santa Barbara beach bike path is
pretty sweet. I probably won't take it though. If I can find a way to
accomodate it once I'm there, maybe I will bring it back when I come
home for the holidays or whenever.

I know I need my muni for sure, with those amazing mountains. And I'm
sure I'll want my trials. So it's just a question of if I can squeeze
my freestyle somewhere... and possibly that huge coker.

One other thing. When I signed the dorm agreement, it specificly said
no bicycles in the dorms. Santa Barbara has a LOT of bikes, there are
designated 2-way bike paths all over the campus. And they have lots of
lockable racks to store your bike. Anyway, I just hope it's not an
issue having unicycles in the dorms. I'm hoping it will be similar to
the airport luggage thing. "It's circus equipmet... totally different
from a bicycle!"

Later,

Jess

p.s. John the rain's not that bad over here. I'm still going.

Old June 16th 05, 11:50 PM
Ben Plotkin-Swing

Jester2000 wrote:
*

Kevin- I'm going to University of California, Santa Barbara. You
still going to that N. Carolina school? Ben, where are you going?
*

I'm going to Swarthmore college in Swarthmore PA, outside philly.

fcwegnm0b wrote:
* but I'm going to be right in the Pococno's (East Stroudsburg)....
*

Do you know anything about the MUni scene in that area? I'm thinking I
may have to head up to the Poconos from Swarthmore to get my MUni fix.

Old June 17th 05, 12:00 AM
tugboat

Kevin- I'm going to University of California, Santa Barbara. You still
going to that N. Carolina school?

Yup, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Can't wait to get
there.

Kevin

--
tugboat - street unicyclist

"You won't get hurt if you land it!"
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

Successful start for my unicycle class billham Unicycling 10 October 16th 04 04:52 PM
Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
High School Unicycle Club Memphis Mud Unicycling 11 February 11th 04 03:49 PM
unicycle "article" hell-on-wheel Unicycling 22 January 29th 04 02:36 AM