Proper impeller play on a Union (Con-tec)dynamo?

Old November 19th 20, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Proper impeller play on a Union (Con-tec)dynamo?

On 11/19/2020 2:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 5:43:56 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 11/17/2020 11:42 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 9:27:11 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/17/2020 11:02 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 8:54:15 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/17/2020 11:45 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, November 16, 2020 at 11:14:15 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/16/2020 1:55 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, November 16, 2020 at 9:31:59 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/16/2020 11:36 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Unless you're drawing current from generator hubs they shouldn't
be offering any drag at all. They have no friction surfaces and like all
generators only offer resistance when they are in use.
"Shouldn't be offering any drag at all" is true only in the aspirational
sense. They all have some drag (usually minor) when off, due to eddy
current losses if nothing else. This is documented through many tests by
many different investigators. There are have even been a few models that
have less drag on than off.

Really, Tom, you should do a _little_ study before posting.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Really Frank, you should know that in a properly designed
generator there would be no eddy currents generated unless and
until there was an actual current flow pathway.
You're talking about the difference between theory and practice.

In theory, they're they same. In practice they are not.
Not having use the Shimano generator in a long time I was unaware
that they were improperly designed.
But you have no reluctance about posting, of course.

See https://www.cyclingabout.com/dynamo-...g-lab-testing/ along
with many other articles on the subject.

It seems by your standards, even the best are improperly designed. Could
it be the designers know more than you do?

Tell us Frank, why do you think that Tesla's do not have
regenerative braking or decelerate when you pull your foot off the
pedal? You're an engineer and you're saying that in practice you
can't avoid eddy currents. So HOW has Tesla done it?
Tom is once again babbling away in an attempt at deflection.

Focus, Tom, focus! You said bicycle hub dynos have no additional drag
when turned off. You're wrong, as every relevant test has shown.

I'm sure that somewhere in your fantastic resume you have the part where
Elon Musk personally hired you to completely eliminate drag from
coasting Teslas. But that's not what we were talking about.

Just admit you were wrong (yet again) and stop typing.

You were asked a question and you speak of me deflecting? If a dyno
hub has drag when no current is being drawn, it has been improperly
designed. Could I design one that works without drag? Yes, it is NOT
very difficult. You separate the magnets from the conductors when it
is not in use. But you didn't even know that did you? Instead you
blabber on as the all knowing freak of nature you consider yourself.

Spin one in your fingers, no wire.
There's bearing drag and an eddy current.
The distance that magnets are away from the conducting surface and the
how strong a conductor it is makes a large difference. The easy way of
avoiding eddy currents is to move the magnets out of range of the
conductors when you turn it off. From the pictures of the insides of
that generator hub it does not appear that would be an easy thing to
achieve with that design. But just as you shift hub gears you could do
the same thing with a generator hub.

Do I understand you? I think you said that if someone were
to completely redesign the bottle dynamos, fully unlike the
standard format worldwide since the mid-1920s, the eddy
current might be reduced?

Uh, OK. That was helpful...

Any Great Thoughts on bearing drag?

Aren’t the magnets on the part that swirls around in circles? That would
make moving them in and out rather interesting.

Frank was saying that they are AC generators. That means that you can make them brushless which means the shell carries the magnets and you could simply pull the shell away from the coils.

But that testing that John showed was pure bull****. Explain how you can make more drag than the 3 watts with the power being drawn. It isn't clear to me what they did wrong but it had to be some sort of calibration error.

Wow...

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 19th 20, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 12:41:09 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 2:16:08 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/14/2020 5:10 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I'm the one that has to listen to gunshots in the middle of the night as Hispanics are racing down the Freeway and shooting at each other.

What a miserable existence!

But you seem to revel in bragging about how bad it is, instead of taking
steps to move out of that hell hole.

I love it when you think that this isn't coming to your neighborhood when Biden opens the borders again and your state makes illegal drugs legal. Your existence is about to become a great deal more miserable than mine because the illegals can no longer afford to live in California even as farm workers with their housing provided. So they will be moving to places like Springfield where there are old ignorant fools like you who think that you are exempt from the country's problems because you are a communist and have a BLM sign out in front of your house.

Ah, the melange of words assembled by your standard brainwashed Trumpanzee fascist programmed by the disinformation echo inside the circle jerk at the brownshirt outhouse.

Read some history, you Nazi schmuck. Simple rube xenophobia like yours is the real national security threat. Maybe you should move back to Austria or Caucasia or wherever and just jerk off to Atlas Shrugged posters.
Old November 19th 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 12:50:46 PM UTC-8, landotter wrote:
[...]

Ayn Rand was objectively hot! https://tinyurl.com/y5bmfgul Makes my Fountainhead.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 19th 20, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/19/2020 2:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 5:26:08 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 4:31:56 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Radey Shouman wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Tosspot wrote:
On 17/11/2020 19:01, Mark J. wrote:

snip

Spinning modern dynamo hubs with fingers at the axle *greatly*
exaggerates their drag. Take the same wheel and spin it mounted to a
frame. It will spin far longer than one would expect from the
finger-axle-spin test.

I *think* what is going on is that the dynamo greatly resists motion for
some small fraction of a turn *then* propels the axle forward a similar
small distance. The ?stator? ?rotor? nearly "snaps" from one position
to the next. On *average*, over a full rotation, there's only a small
drag, but nowhere near as much as one feels during that first small bit
of twisting the axle.

I always wondered about that, but now you mention it I think that is
what is happening. I also note with no load the voltage wll rise quite
a lot. Lick your fingers and put them on the terminals. That ain't 6v :-(

The phenomenon is called cogging and is the result of stator and rotor
magnetic paths aligning in a state that has reduced magnetic energy. You
can greatly reduce it by “twisting” either the rotor or the stator so that
one pole of the rotor bridges two adjacent stator poles, but that costs
money.

That would make it feel nicer when spinning by hand, but do you think it
would make any real performance difference? I have my doubts.

Not much, unless the vibration from the cogging really annoyed you, but it
would sure feel more impressive when you spun it by hand, which might sell
one or two units.
I get the impression that most hub dynamos are actually sold in complete
bikes. Building one's own wheels with hubs bought in a shop where you
could fondle them ahead of time is right up there with using a hook to
button one's shoes.

I can fondle them at a few places here in Portland. https://www.universalcycles.com/comp...er%20Precision I got my SP PD8 at Western Bikeworks on sale, but they quit carrying them, probably because sales were near zero. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...namo-front-hub It says "currently out of stock," but it doesn't even appear when you search their site.
I can even go fondle a Schmidt hub, but I think you have to swipe a credit card before doing that. https://www.joe-bike.com/product/sch...o-hub-1806.htm https://www.universalcycles.com/comp...ompany=Schmidt https://www.clevercycles.com/schmidt...ed-silver.html I got my over-priced Luxos B at Clever.

I was riding around with my dyno the other night along with my L&M 800 lumen all in one -- which I switched on any time I really needed to see something, which was a lot riding around the West Hills. The dyno is O.K. for riding around on the flats. With improving battery technology, it is hard justifying around $300 for hub and light and a rim and spokes . . . and your time building a wheel, all for a light that is at best O.K. I did it as a science experiment and because Frank was hounding me.

The specifications are all for people that ride at 9 mph. I'm quite sure that you ride faster than that. What sort of light do you connect it to that doesn't burn out? Judging from the Shimano voltage readings there is no voltage controller in those things.

Here's how they regulate voltage. At the simplest level, output voltage
should be proportional to the relative velocity of the magnets vs. the
conductors, or IOW proportional to the forward speed. And that's pretty
much what you see with an unloaded dynamo - i.e. with no current.

But with current flow, you have back EMF generated in the coils, which
opposes the generated voltage. Back EMF is nearly proportional to the AC
frequency, and the AC frequency is proportional to forward speed.

So one influence is trying to generate more voltage, the other is
fighting against that voltage, both nearly proportional to speed. If
properly designed, those can balance each other and a bike dynamo can do
a very good job of regulating itself.

In some cases, Zener diodes can easily do a bit of trimming to improve
regulation. And modern LED headlights probably have some regulation
functions in their electronics. But I've got an ancient Sturmey-Archer
Dynohub driving a simple LED on one of my bikes, and it does just fine
with no ancillary diodes or other electronics.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 19th 20, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Tom Kunich writes:

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 11:39:27 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 10:42:13 AM UTC-8, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/18/2020 8:26 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On November 18, 2020 at 4:31:56 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:

[...]

Where's the science? You haven't even measured brightness, have you? You
never opened the lamp to swap the old LED, let alone mod the circuit. IIRC,
the Luxos B were 4000 to 6000 cd when Olaf measured them at 2.4 Watt. A 300
shaped lumen, 10,000 cd Bumm IX-Q, is 80 euros. That's about a steak and a
beer to go in the DPRoC where Tom resides, right?

Hey Jay, if you cannot afford a lamp that expensive, I offer to send you a
free, 120 lm, 4000 cd rated Hermanns MR4 dynamo lamp
https://fahrradbeleuchtung-info.de/images/571.jpg
if you can dig up some substantial dirt, financial or case-related, about
Reiner Fuellmich, a California lawyer who implies he's competent to
successfully sue the promoter of coronavirus PCR tests, but needs
to flash a
more famous lawyers's book in his video:
https://www.globalresearch.ca/video-crimes-against-humanity-the-german-corona-investigation/5725795
https://seed122.bitchute.com/w2wlZfYBhLAR/lWSuvM5MjV2r.mp4

What is a fraudulent corporation? Is it a LLC or proprietorship
pretending to be a corporation? I lasted through about 90 seconds of
that.

I saw Jerry Spence try a case in Multnomah County. Everybody went
down to watch him defend this Hatfield v. McCoy murder case
involving two families on the Siletz River -- not far from my
cousins' cow farm. The trial judge was wowed and let him run the
courtroom. It was kind of pathetic.
And I'm still willing to trade the SP hub for this almost unused Oculus.
Come on, we all know Jay only keeps his aged dynamo moodlight to keep
bitching about it like a lawyer, wrongly expecting Peter White, the
libertarian importer, to finally send him a free e-bike just to
pacify him. ;-)

And because I drilled a hole in the aluminum billet fork crown and
tapped it to take a bolt just for that dopey crown-mounted
light. And I built the stupid wheel, etc., etc. At this point, its
like stigmata -- or one of those prison tear tats. I wear my dyno
with pride.

I bought one of those Garmin mounts that bolts under the integrated
bar. It was plastic and broke on the very first ride. So I bought
another mount made of aluminum that I could take off and remount on
the plastic mount. Then I bought one of those aluminum repair kits for
the Garmin mounts to repair the damage. I'm still a little
questionable about whether that combination is going to remain working
since it doesn't have a positive click like the other mounts do. But
it puts the Garmin further away from me so that I can actually read
the Garmin while riding. Usually I can only read the speed and
distance. But with this I can read the heart rate and cadence.

When it becomes time to replace the lenses in your eye ALWAYS opt for
the flexible ones that allow you to focus on close objects almost as
good as your normal eyes.

I had not realized these existed:

https://www.allaboutvision.com/condi...ating-iols.htm

If they actually work I could see routine lens replacement becoming a
treatment for presbyopia. LASIK has become quite popular, but many of
those that can afford it are either presbyopic already or soon will be.

Do you know anyone that has these?

Old November 19th 20, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 11:08:14 -0800, Tom Kunich wrote:

wrote:

Just admit you were wrong (yet again) and stop typing.

You were asked a question and you speak of me deflecting? If a dyno
hub has drag when no current is being drawn, it has been improperly
designed.

Could I design one that works without drag? Yes, it is NOT
very difficult. You separate the magnets from the conductors when it
is not in use. But you didn't even know that did you? Instead you
blabber on as the all knowing freak of nature you consider yourself.

Gee Tommy, I wonder why no one has ever brought out a bicycle hub that
provided that option?

Apart from having two wheels, one with a dyno and one without a dyno.

Because you're a hopeless moron you didn't bother to read the posting of
Jay above who said that they DID bring out a hub that could produce no
drag at all but they were not popular because the drag of a generator
hub is so small that it cannot be detected by a normal person.

Err, easily tested by switching on the lights.
FYI, as already mentioned elsewhere, I'm not the only person who
purchased my dyno hub seperately and built up the wool with my choice of
rim and crossings, thus saying a humungous amount of money for the
inadequately spoked completed wheel available in a few bicycle shops.

It worked and I was happy, so why would I buy another hub to test
marketing claims, especially when it was far easier to just pack a set of
battery lights that could be used when needed and not suffer the 'tea
leaf' interest that permanently mounted lights did.

Did this magic 'no-drag' device come at an outrageous price?

But
never mind that you don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about
because you'll say it anyway.

Usually I don't, because I don't waste money buying the latest gimmick
for bicycles, but on bottle generators, SA dyno hubs and Sanyo BB
generator, I do have some experience, plus on building charging system.
Later in life, I simply found it easier to mount a rechargeable battery
and dazzle motorists with 50watts of headlight.
Now the fscker can not say they didn't see me. Also gave plod a chuckle
one night when they thought they'd caught a motorcycle rider on a bike
path.

Old November 19th 20, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Radey Shouman wrote:

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...n-pd-8-dynamo-

https://www.clevercycles.com/schmidt...-36h-polished-

silver.html
I got my over-priced Luxos B at Clever.

I was riding around with my dyno the other night along with my L&M 800
lumen all in one -- which I switched on any time I really needed to see
something, which was a lot riding around the West Hills. The dyno is
O.K. for riding around on the flats. With improving battery technology,
it is hard justifying around $300 for hub and light and a rim and
spokes . . . and your time building a wheel, all for a light that is at
best O.K. I did it as a science experiment and because Frank was
hounding me.

The specifications are all for people that ride at 9 mph. I'm quite sure
that you ride faster than that. What sort of light do you connect it to
that doesn't burn out?

Err, have you never heard of connecting a pair of reverse zenner diode
across the globe/wire.

Old November 19th 20, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Given "I knnow more than the generals" and "Science doesn't know,
frankly" It's really no surprise to see the "calibration error" claim.
He's just emulating his idol.

If you bully it hard enough, you can get reality to back down. (Or not.)
There *is no* bottom.

Mark J.
Old November 19th 20, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Krygowski wrote:
See
https://www.cyclingabout.com/dynamo-...g-lab-testing/
along
with many other articles on the subject.

It seems by your standards, even the best are improperly
designed. Could
it be the designers know more than you do?

Frank, on a good day you're tiresome, on a bad day your
stupidity is sickening Are you telling everyone here that
a 3 watt generator is giving more drag than 3 watts?

Wow.

Yes, Tom, a three watt generator is normally expected to
produce more than three watts of drag. That's because the
"three watt" rating applies to _output_ power. And as you'll
remember from your physics or thermodynamics courses*, its
efficiency can't be 100%, so _input_ power must be higher
than output power. And of course, it's the input power that
manifests as drag.

I could go into more detail, but I'm sure that's already
enough to confuse you.

* Because obviously, you never actually took a physics or
thermodynamics course.

What size flux capacitor are you using there?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 19th 20, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

[...]

One would think that since Sweden suffered under NAZI occupation in WWII and you have presented yourself to be an educated person, that you would know what fascism was. But no, like the mindless little NAZI's on the group you want to call freedom, fascism. You want to call the slave holders, freedom fighters. You are exactly like the people that collaborated with the NAZIs in Sweden that were rounded up and shot after the war.

dynamo lights with switches and bottle dynamo/generators Keiron[_4_] Techniques 12 September 18th 09 10:30 AM
proper long proper muni joemarshall Unicycling 14 August 4th 08 02:34 PM
WTB: Co-Union Bar Tape Tom Kunich Marketplace 0 September 4th 07 02:20 AM
DVD: Union bailingmarne Unicycling 29 March 5th 07 05:53 AM
Royce Union? [email protected] Mountain Biking 6 May 26th 06 10:28 AM