'Use your head: wear a h*lm*t,' say olympic cycling stars

Old August 26th 04, 06:58 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

Al C-F m writes:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:12:33 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

Please remember kids, Nicole is sponsored by Limar Helmets and has
trouble making it round corners.

Thank you for that clarification. All is clear now.

Apart from Richard Bates's dreams, which lie shattered in a pool of
disillusionment.

Old August 27th 04, 10:11 AM
Dave Larrington

Al C-F wrote:
On 25 Aug 2004 06:22:34 -0700, (elyob) wrote:

"There is nothing better than being out and about on my bike,
especially in the summer. But it's easy to forget that drivers don't
always see you, even if you can see them. I wear a helmet every time
I ride my bike,

These two statements are not logically connected. Is there an error
in the punctuation?

No, just in the logic...

--

Dave Larrington -
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/

Old August 27th 04, 09:32 PM
Howard

Why not let her know what you 'THINK' via her website. There's a
thread on this topic on her forum...

http://www.nicolecooke.com/2003/foru...p?showtopic=89
Old August 27th 04, 09:32 PM
Howard

Old August 28th 04, 05:03 PM
JFJones

Are these folks really qualified to advise us? (The vast majority of
pro cyclists don't wear helmets when training anyway.)

Bicycle racers maximize their performance by riding close to the edge
of disaster, i.e. risk taking is inherent in high performance racing.
In contrast, normal every day road cycling is characterized by
limiting the risks taken. Performance is not usually an issue. If you
are going to get mixed up in 65km/h, ten abreast sprints to the finish
line, a helmet may provide a feeling of security. But what's that got
to do with popping down the road to pick up a newspaper?

After watching the appalling bike handling skills of triathletes at
the Olympics, I suppose we can expect some from their ranks (maybe
American Shirley Williams who apparently has never done a 180 degree
turn on a bike before) to advise the rest of us on how to save
ourselves from ourselves.

JFJ.
Old August 29th 04, 11:13 PM
Gawnsoft

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:13:12 +0100, David Hansen
wrote (more or less):

On 28 Aug 2004 09:03:21 -0700 someone who may be
(JFJones) wrote this:-

Are these folks really qualified to advise us?

Agreed. Racing cycling has about as much to do with "real world"
cycling as car racing does to do with "real world" motoring. I don't
notice helmets, fire resistant clothes and proper seatbelts being
advocated by racing drivers for the inhabitants of a car who are
going to the shops.

Of course, that hasn't stopped certain racing drivers advising us to
adopt full-face helmets for pootles to the shops on our bikes!

--
Cheers,
Euan