New CCFL, 26650, 18650, or 3AA

Old July 7th 20, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default New CCFL, 26650, 18650, or 3AA

On 7/6/2020 9:22 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/6/2020 1:42 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 12:08:34 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

snip

If you're talking about Frank, his Oculus light lives in a drawer as he
doesn't use it.

Maybe it's so bad that Frank's hard-earned "responsible cyclist"
status with
the local traffic cops would be in danger if were to donate it to a
penniless dog walker.

Highly unlikely that anyone would spend that much money for a superior
light then keep it in a drawer, unused.

I agree, what I've done with that Oculus headlight is unusual. I was
interested enough in the optics design to buy it to examine it and
review it. (Barry gave me a small discount.) I posted my review here,
and others thanked me for the review. I'll post it again if anyone likes.

The headlight is in brand new condition. The only "used" detail is one
strip of silicone tape is slightly wrinkled. It's used to wrap a
handlebar so the light doesn't slip.

Contact me if interested. Gmail works.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 7th 20, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/6/2020 11:58 PM, Rolf Mantel wrote:

snip

Furthermore, the $15 StVZO light I linked was a *battery powered* StVZO
light which obviously gives the same power output independent of speed.
It has three power settings, "15 Lux/ 30 Lux / 60 Lux" (no idea how to
convert that to ANSI Lumens, or "fake raw Lumens" or whatever).

You can't convert directly since Lux and Lumens are measuring different
things. But for cycling, the best dynamo lights are around 100 lumens
per watt, so a 3 watt dynamo would be able to power about a 300 lumen
light. That mean that about 3 lumens per lux for a 100 lux light.

My best dynamo light is rated at around 200 lumens. That might be
sufficient for on a familiar street with street lighting, but certainly
not sufficient for an unlit multi-use path, especially some of the ones
around here where you often have to slow to 3MPH to go around the twists
and tight turns.

For street riding you generally want 500-600 lumens and for off-street
1200-1800 lumens.

I've never been into the "mega-lumens" philosophy and when I see these
3000 lumen lights for sale it's hard to understand the need unless
you're doing high speed off-road riding.

Old July 8th 20, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/7/2020 5:59 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Again (and again!) those of us actually using these modern dynamo LED
lights do fine. We do not need what you claim.

And if your bike paths require you to slow to 3 mph, you have really
crappy paths!

--
- Frank Krygowski