Recumbent Accident Rates?

Old May 12th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Dan O

Default Should you wear a helmet while riding a recumbent?

On May 11, 5:47 pm, Dan O wrote:
On May 7, 3:21 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

snip

It might be worth asking yourself whether you did ride, or would have
ridden as you do, in 1973, before helmets were widely used. What
would you have done differently?

Know better than to bet my life on sanity, but in any case I do not
wear a helmet to facilitate added risk (to mitigate some of it,
maybe).

Actually, I think I am more "devil-may-care" without a helmet. Most
of my rides are bareheaded, in fact, and these are largely "joy rides"
on the wheeljie bike. I mean, if I believe a (good) helmet offers
some worhtwhile protection, wouldn't the mere decision not to wear it
imply a mindset willing to take extra risk?

Generally, I only wear my helmet commuting, which, on the whole, is
probably my most careful riding. But being a long commute, involves
extended exposure, with required destinations and timeframes and lots
of nasty traffic leaving more of my destiny at the mercy of factors
outside my own control (making me still more careful... although
"careful" being relative - I still get my kicks :-)

Unicycles and exchange rates thejdw Unicycling 12 November 2nd 07 06:57 PM
Tdf 'live' Heart rates cupra UK 2 July 18th 07 12:55 AM
Pedaling rates Ron Graham UK 17 February 3rd 07 06:52 PM
decrease of heart rates le-sheq Techniques 4 March 1st 06 12:33 AM
Heart rates. Simon Mason UK 0 January 21st 06 08:45 PM