Recumbent Accident Rates?

Old May 4th 11, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Should you wear a helmet while riding a recumbent?

On May 2, 3:34*pm, Peter Cole wrote:

I also wear my mirror when rowing, I never wear a helmet.

Here's an alternative to needing a mirror when rowing:
http://www.vindy.com/videos/2009/aug/27/948/

I'm one of the "guys in kayaks" that Scott had trouble keeping up
with.

(His design took first place in an international Solidworks
competition.)

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 4th 11, 09:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Harry Brogan[_7_]

On Tue, 03 May 2011 11:21:35 -0500, DougC
wrote:

On 5/1/2011 8:08 PM, John Doe wrote:
=?UTF-8?B?VMK6bSBTaGVybcKqbuKEoiDCsF/CsA==?=
" wrote:

kolldata aka Gene Daniels rote:

are stats available for recumbent accident rates or is that
meteroite shower territory ? like does anyone have personal
knowledge ?

I doubt there is enough information to be statically valid.

What about helmet wearing?

I don't wear a helmet when riding either bike (a recumbent and a
crank-forward) because neither of them can be flipped over forward by
hard use of the front brake. As such, the likelihood of a serious head
impact in a wreck is much reduced.

Also I realized over time that I was a lot more comfortable riding
without the foam hat, and I ride mostly for enjoyment. There is no
helmet that is as comfortable as wearing [no helmet].

One side-effect of wearing a helmet is it affords some amount of sun
protection, but that is relatively poor. One recumbent manufacturer
website has a photo showing two riders wearing large-brim sun hats, but
I'd think the speeds you could pedal would be pretty limited with that.
Sun offers a small sun roof for their trikes intended to shade the head;
as dorky as it looks I admit I've thought about building something
similar for my recumbent more than once, but haven't attempted it yet.
Putting sunscreen on your had is always an exercise in stupidity; you
can never cover all the exposed skin, and eventually it always runs into
your eyes. To be able to ride all day without needing to use any
sunscreen above the neck would be a wonderful improvement.

I do use a rear-view mirror all the time, that mounts to my eyeglasses.
I consider it a valuable addition and feel at a distinct disadvantage
without one.

Let's see......you don't wear one because you can't be flipped over by
hitting the front brake hard. Hmmm......guess you only ride in your
backyard.

what happens if you are hit by a car? What about if you happen to hit
the errant chuckhole that you didn't see?

I can only surmise that you are NOT an everyday rider and are only a
"weekend nice-weather warrior".

Sell your bike and place yourself in bubblewrap.
Old May 4th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Opus[_2_]

On May 4, 3:58*am, Harry Brogan
wrote:
snip
Let's see......you don't wear one because you can't be flipped over by
hitting the front brake hard. *Hmmm......guess you only ride in your
backyard.

what happens if you are hit by a car? *What about if you happen to hit
the errant chuckhole that you didn't see?

I can only surmise that you are NOT an everyday rider and are only a
"weekend nice-weather warrior".

Sell your bike and place yourself in bubblewrap.

In the event of getting hit with a car helmet use has little to no
effect on head injury. Bicycle helmets are designed for a 12.5 MPH
impact, in TX the statutory lowest speed limit is 30 MPH for
residential streets, with the majority of through streets in my city
being 40 MPH or faster. In the event of being ejected from the bike by
impact with road defects the same criteria apply, the helmet is
designed and tested to a 12.5 MPH standard, which is my average urban
speed (bike computer average) when taking stop signs and red lights
into account. My cruising speed is substantially higher than that.
Old May 4th 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

On 04/05/2011 09:58, Harry Brogan wrote:

Let's see......you don't wear one because you can't be flipped over by
hitting the front brake hard. Hmmm......guess you only ride in your
backyard.

No, I don't wear one because I've studied the effectiveness against
serious head injuries and their track record for this is basically
no effect.

Yes, they'll help against minor stuff, but that is, well, minor.
It can happen, but at least for A to B transport cycling isn't
actually particularly more (if at all) productive of head injuries
than being a pedestrian liable to trips and falls.

I'll wear one on the MTB, bashing my head against low branches and
for that sort of thing they're great, but riding round town or on
tour they're no more relevant on my bike than if I'm walking.

Helmets didn't really exist before the 80s. There wasn't a
particular plague of head injuries before then. Helmets are a
solution looking for a problem as far as riding on the roads from A
to B goes.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 4th 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jee-$

On Tue, 3 May 2011 08:39:32 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Opus
wrote:

Bell Bellistic. I am working on my third season with mine and I'm
looking to paint the shell and install a re-line kit for another 3 or
4 seasons use.

A helmet should be considered an expendable item; they have a useful
life span and should be retired in their geriatric years.

I tend to prefer the hard-shell, BMX-style helmets; however, your
milage may vary.

xxx
Old May 4th 11, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Lake

On Tue, 3 May 2011 15:06:29 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
wrote:

In my observation, hand and wrist injures are relatively common in
headers off of normal bikes. Concussions really aren't.

Injuries are quite common in all forms of collisions. I've seen
injuries when an ice skater collided with a Zamboni. I did my
residency at Ben Taub in Houston and I saw lots of closed head trauma
from traffic mishaps involving all kinds of vehicles and concussions
really are common... half a dozen in a shift wouldn't be out of the
ordinary evening.

If you choose not to wear a helmet, that's your business; however,
please don't suggest that closed head injury from blunt force trauma
is rare because ERs see them like clockwork.

Old May 5th 11, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Tom Lake wrote:

Chalo wrote:

In my observation, hand and wrist injures are relatively common in
headers off of normal bikes. *Concussions really aren't.

Injuries are quite common in all forms of collisions. *I've seen
injuries when an ice skater collided with a Zamboni. *I did my
residency at Ben Taub in Houston and I saw lots of closed head trauma
from traffic mishaps involving all kinds of vehicles and concussions
really are common... half a dozen in a shift wouldn't be out of the
ordinary evening.

If you choose not to wear a helmet, that's your business; however,
please don't suggest that closed head injury from blunt force trauma
is rare because ERs see them like clockwork.

You ask me to disregard observations I have made directly from
innumerable crashes of my own, and from the crashes of people I
know.

People don't go in for a $10,000 ER visit when they skin up their
hands and knees.

By "relatively common", I mean that for every twenty headers off of
normal bikes, probably eighteen result in some kind of injury to the
hands, from scrapes or bruises on up. On average, I'd guess maybe one
results in concussion. But maybe not that many.

Of the folks who feel like paying extortionist pricing for indifferent/
incompetent medical services is worth it due to the worrisome nature
of their injuries, I imagine a relatively large number of them have
hit their heads pretty hard. And that probably accounts for the
almost uniformly deranged perspective about cycle helmets I have seen
from medical professionals.

Chalo
Old May 5th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
kolldata

i am lost on the anti helmet logic. Injury when bringing head to a
sudden stop when brain continues is a sure thing, only severity is
unknown same as bumper crash tests.

a major collection ?

http://www.3wheelers.com/

one time for a helmet is before buying a recumbent

who coined the word use age ?
Old May 5th 11, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Lake

On Wed, 4 May 2011 18:16:16 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
wrote:

[...]

I regret your experience with the medical profession; I'm the last
person who would attempt to convince you it's perfect.

On the other hand, if a medical professional is true to his or her
training, that person would not prescribe based on anecdotal evidence.
It does not matter what the behavior is, though; one will always find
someone to argue it either way. For example: if you use tobacco, I
urge you to quit doing so; however, there are simply no experimental
studies that can be cited showing tobacco use causes long-term health
damage. I suppose you will say that medical professionals have an
"almost uniformly deranged perspective" on tobacco use? I'll bet you
know a 50 year, two-pack-a-day smoker who is as healthy as a horse! I
certainly do.

For the same reason there will never be an experimental tobacco study,
there will never be such a helmet study; you'd never get it past your
Institutional Review Board (IRB). You must have your IRB's blessing
for any live experimental subject(s), particularly human ones.

Yet, the evidence is overwhelming: quitting smoking is a healthful
lifestyle choice and helmets reduce head injuries. I agree that
they'll nothing for your hands, though.

And, again... sorry 'bout the ER bills. The problem is that hospitals
are required to treat anyone who staggers in the door, but that's a
whole different discussion.

Old May 5th 11, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Should you wear a bicycle foam hat while riding a recumbent?

wrote:

[...]

The only studies that show bicycle foam hats to be effective in reducing
head injuries are case-(not so much)control. Whole population studies
show no statistically significant reduction in serious head injury or
fatality rates when bicycle foam hat usage increases.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Unicycles and exchange rates thejdw Unicycling 12 November 2nd 07 06:57 PM
Tdf 'live' Heart rates cupra UK 2 July 18th 07 12:55 AM
Pedaling rates Ron Graham UK 17 February 3rd 07 06:52 PM
decrease of heart rates le-sheq Techniques 4 March 1st 06 12:33 AM
Heart rates. Simon Mason UK 0 January 21st 06 08:45 PM