Drunken driver hits a bunch of cyclists

Old June 21st 11, 07:32 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

Default Drunken driver hits a bunch of cyclists

On Jun 20, 9:27 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" wrote:
Letter addressed to Engineering/Public Works of Bay Harbor Islands:

(the reply --if any-- will be posted here)

Hello,

While you may have one of the most beautiful causeways, overlooking
the bay and the islands, it's also one of the most hostile to
cyclists. So much so that we simply stay away from it, even when we
may take another winding way. The city ordinance that mandates
cyclists to walk bikes over the bridges is totally senseless,
particularly at the long bridge over the bay. This is specially
grinding and dangerous when there's no space whatsoever to walk bike
on sidewalk. Try it yourself.

One time we were verbally attacked by a vigilante who wanted to
enforce the ordinance and we were lucky only to lose our pride. He
claimed he was protecting us while subjecting us to all sorts of
humiliation. WHY?

It's funny that elsewhere A BICYCLE IS A VEHICLE and yet here it's
some kind of toy. It seems like the ultimate form of discrimination,
though a rather sophisticated one. May I remind you that both cyclists
and pedestrians "run out of sidewalk" at the end of the bridge
(westbound) and that you must walk over the grass and the mud.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Reply to the letter above:

Please note that bicycles are allowed on the roadway (which includes
the bridges), however, an individual cannot ride their bicycle on the
sidewalk, especially on the bridges. I only ask that you please be
cautious when traversing our causeway on your bicycle. Traffic in
South Florida can be extremely dangerous to cyclists.

I hope this clarifies this issue.

***

My observations:

Unless they were removed recently, the signs state that you MUST walk
bike on sidewalk across bridges creating a CONFLICT upon which
vigilantes feel the obligation to harass cyclists. The same day of the
incident --two years ago-- a policeman waved me off the road, without
taking the trouble to tell me why.

I will try this route again soon.

Old June 22nd 11, 03:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

(Third letter and quite possibly the last one. Conditions are such
that they may as well say, "WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!" Notice this is a
wealthy community)

Hello again,

THE SIGNS ARE STILL THERE! They say, "WALK BICYCLES ACROSS BRIDGE,"
but give no ordinance number. Now that you say no bicycles are allowed
on sidewalk, the situation is more confused than ever, as if nobody
gave it a thought. This possible scenario arises:

"You ride on the road, and when you get to the bridge you dismount the
bike and walk it... where?"

I have pictures showing that my bicycle doesn't even fit in the larger
bridge's sidewalk. Or do you expect me to walk it on the road? Isn't a
BIKE LANE the proper way to welcome cyclists?

PS: The bench overlooking the beach on 94th street is full of pee and
it stinks like ammonia. Is that a permanent location for the winos? I
understand removing the hobos may not be legal so perhaps the bench
should be removed. They may not have good taste about wine but they
sure do about locations.

We rode last night two abreast and weren't harassed. I guess it was
our lucky night. But I hold this city responsible for future
incidents.

This is indeed part of an INTERNATIONAL CAMPAIGN exposing the
indifference to the real challenges we suffer as cyclists, pedestrians
and citizens. WE ARE NOTHING. We are monkeys, and the drivers are full
of rage at us. PARADISE OR HELL?

Old June 22nd 11, 04:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

On Jun 22, 9:24 am, FrancisHalsworthy FrancisHalsworthy.
wrote:
'His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_ Wrote:

;2204982']On Jun 20, 9:27 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach
Cruiser
Philosopher" wrote:-
[...]

Have you seen this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLjMUTeMQr0

Absolute madness

I heard of this one. What I wonder is what happened to this criminal.

It seems like they get away with their crimes. We never hear about
these follow ups.

Drunken driver hits a bunch of cyclists His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_] Social Issues 3 June 23rd 11 01:53 PM
Drunken driver hits a bunch of cyclists His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_] General 3 June 22nd 11 04:14 PM
OT Drunken Cyclists Marie UK 9 January 16th 11 12:43 AM
Four-wheel drive hits Canberra cyclists Patrick Keogh Australia 11 May 1st 07 03:07 PM
Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete Rodney Kuehl Recumbent Biking 40 February 24th 07 02:20 AM