Any comments/competition for Marin's urban bikes? Mtb/<1.75 " tires

Old September 24th 04, 06:59 PM
Lobo Tommy

Default Any comments/competition for Marin's urban bikes? Mtb/<1.75 " tires

Interested in any comments any one has about Marin's urban bikes or
any bikes (competition) they may have? The only other bike I've seen
like these is the Kona Smoke.
Old September 25th 04, 01:48 AM
SuperSlinky

Lobo Tommy said...

Interested in any comments any one has about Marin's urban bikes or
any bikes (competition) they may have? The only other bike I've seen
like these is the Kona Smoke.

A mountain bike with some sort of pavement friendly tire can do anything
an urban bike or hybrid can, only better.
Old September 25th 04, 03:02 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:48:04 GMT, SuperSlinky
wrote:

Lobo Tommy said...

Interested in any comments any one has about Marin's urban bikes or
any bikes (competition) they may have? The only other bike I've seen
like these is the Kona Smoke.

A mountain bike with some sort of pavement friendly tire can do anything
an urban bike or hybrid can, only better.

Except that most MTBs sold these days have front shocks. Others may
think front shocks are great on the road, but I find them silly.
Old September 25th 04, 04:08 AM
SuperSlinky

Dan Daniel said...

Except that most MTBs sold these days have front shocks. Others may
think front shocks are great on the road, but I find them silly.

Couldn't disagree more. Not only are front shocks useful on pavement,
but rear ones are as well. Some roads are as rough as rooty and rocky
single track. Some single track is as smooth as fresh asphalt. On many
roads, my MTB is faster and safer than my road bike, mainly because it
can take a hell of a lot more punishment without something very bad
happening. I'll keep saying it whether anybody chooses to believe me or
not. MTBs are some of the best road bikes ever made. I average 3-4mph
faster on my road racing bike compared to my 29lb FS MTB on long road
rides. Now that I have a real road bike, I'm having difficulty finding
routes that aren't made up bone rattling and bike trashing crappy roads.
These same roads I have floated over countless times on the FS MTB.
Nothing beats FS for urban riding. The question there isn't why have
suspension, but why on earth wouldn't you want it.
Old September 25th 04, 04:48 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 03:08:19 GMT, SuperSlinky
wrote:

Dan Daniel said...

[...]

Try 32mm tires on a road bike
Old September 25th 04, 01:18 PM
Mike Kruger

"SuperSlinky" wrote in message
t...

.... I average 3-4mph
faster on my road racing bike compared to my 29lb FS MTB on long road
rides.

Nothing beats FS for urban riding. The question there isn't why have
suspension, but why on earth wouldn't you want it.

Didn't you answer your own question?

Old September 25th 04, 05:01 PM
bri719

Dan Daniel wrote:

Except that most MTBs sold these days have front shocks. Others may
think front shocks are great on the road, but I find them silly.

one word: lockout :-)

they sure don't hurt when negotiating potholes...they're not always as
kind to your rim though.

bri

Old September 25th 04, 05:19 PM
bri719

Dan Daniel wrote:

On 24 Sep 2004 10:59:07 -0700, (Lobo Tommy) wrote:

Interested in any comments any one has about Marin's urban bikes or
any bikes (competition) they may have? The only other bike I've seen
like these is the Kona Smoke.

Bikes like the Kona Dr. Dew, etc. Specialized Sirrus. Cannondale Bad
Boy, Road Warrior. Jamis Street Series. Seems like many companies have
similar ideas floating around.

another model which may be similar to what you guys are talking about...

http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/...wnie_home.html

they actually have a few different variations I guess. I've noticed one
of the main differences is a lot of these bikes go off a 24" wheel which
makes them lower to the ground for stability and maybe a little easier
to pedal at low speeds with SS and the front ring set slightly ahead. I
even sat on a chopper style bike yesterday with an 8 speed cassette,
grip shift, and single chainring. again, had the smaller tires. single
rear brake, it was interesting but wasn't really gonna buy it -- just
HAD to see how it felt.

I think I'd rather just buy a beach cruiser myself instead of an "urban"
cycle if I was going that way (something slow just to cruise around on).

bri

Old September 25th 04, 06:45 PM
maxo

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:59:07 -0700, Lobo Tommy wrote:

Interested in any comments any one has about Marin's urban bikes or any
bikes (competition) they may have? The only other bike I've seen like
these is the Kona Smoke.

I rode a Marin San Anselmo with the 7sp nexus for 5 years and LOVED it. It
really was a perfect bike: fenders, rack, fast 700c wheels.

The wheels were built with cheap Alex Rims, but built well with fat DT
spokes, I trued them once in something like 20K miles.

The geometry was perfect too, it was a fendered urban transport device,
but with more aggressive angles than your average comfort bike.

The only drawback is that the aluminum frame was way overbuilt--great when
hauling back 50 lbs of Indian groceries, but a very harsh ride, so think
about getting a fancier saddle than the stock one. I got t-boned by a car
once--the bike was thrown half a block (I survived without a scratch).
Some Chinese exchange students came to the rescue and bent the fenders
back into place--funniest and most polite thing you ever did see--but the
bike itself was perfect!

The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- WhyOff-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited Pablo Ricardo Mountain Biking 69 July 23rd 04 10:40 AM
Science Proves Mountain Biking Is More Harmful Than Hiking Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 18 July 16th 04 04:28 AM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM
so many bike types - which is which? tsp General 11 October 15th 03 10:02 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM