Garmin Edge 305 shutting down

Old October 21st 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Default Garmin Edge 305 shutting down

I have a problem with my Edge 305 - it shuts down at a random basis
during
rides - altho it most often happens during fast descent. It also stops
the timer
when you do hard stop - eg. if stoplights caught you by surprise - and
it does
not restart it. It is very annoying especially if you try to beat your
previous best
time and suddenly you realize that timer is stopped or unit is off.
Are those common problems with Edge 305?
Is 705 any better in that respect?
(I bought 305 at REI so I can always return it and swap for sth else -
eg. 705).

TIA for any info/pointers,

JT
Old October 22nd 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim

I've had one for just about a year now. No issues with the unit however,
the cadence unit had to be replace. It would burned out the battery in a
days time. Garmen sent a replacement out right away and I haven't had a
problem.

Jim

Old October 22nd 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
joe

Woland99 wrote:

I have a problem with my Edge 305 - it shuts down at a random basis
during
rides - altho it most often happens during fast descent. It also
stops the timer
when you do hard stop - eg. if stoplights caught you by surprise -
and it does
not restart it. It is very annoying especially if you try to beat
your previous best
time and suddenly you realize that timer is stopped or unit is off.
Are those common problems with Edge 305?
Is 705 any better in that respect?
(I bought 305 at REI so I can always return it and swap for sth else
- eg. 705).

TIA for any info/pointers,

JT

This is not an unknown problem with the 305. I think the issue is the
spring contacts between the battery and the main circuit board. If I
were you, I would exchange it at REI if they will take it back. If
not, contact Garmin support and they will replace it.

As an aside, there is a lot of information about the Garmin Edge XXX
computers on the forums at forums.motionbased.com
Old October 23rd 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leg End

I send my Garmin Edge 305 unit back for replacement every 9 months or
so, usually with this problem. I find that it fails in warmer weather
rather than cold. I also find that it has an inbuilt "Critical Usage
Detector" that means it fails just when I need the most, like midway
through a time trial when I am racing to make up .2 MPH pace.

After it last happened to me, and I did a reset etc.. I left the display
with only the default fields, rather than my customised
all-singing-all-dancing-fields-a-plenty display. Since then it has not
failed, so I'm thinking there is correlation between amount of data
being displayed and frequency of fail.

However, Garmin support are good. I get a replacement in 5 working days
(except when they sent it to the wrong county once!).

Hope that helps.

computers on the forums at forums.motionbased.com