Reduced spoke wheels OK?

Old April 2nd 04, 04:23 PM
rocketman58

Default Reduced spoke wheels OK?

I picked up a pair of Performance's Titan wheels for my first roadbike
in about 15 years. They are the same wheels as Supergo's Korso
wheels. Both are made by Alex. They have 27mm deep aero rims with 16
front and 20 rear bladed spokes. I plan to finish building up the
bike this wekend.

The wheels seem sturdy in spite of the reduced number of spokes.
Still, being used to 36 and 32 spoke wheels, I was a little nervous.
I contacted Alex as to the weight limit of the wheels. They replied
with @198 lbs. I currently weigh @200lbs (working on fixing that -
the reason for the new bike). I am going to run a pair of Specialized
700x26c tires. I will be riding mostly a flat bike trail - a 35 mile
loop.

In spite of the manufacturer's assurance, I still wonder if I made a
wise decision with these wheels. Any thoughts?

Rocketman58
Old April 3rd 04, 03:36 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

rocketman58- I picked up a pair of Performance's Titan wheels for my first
roadbike
in about 15 years. BRBR
They have 27mm deep aero rims with 16
front and 20 rear bladed spokes. I plan to finish building up the
bike this wekend. BRBR
I contacted Alex as to the weight limit of the wheels. They replied
with @198 lbs. BRBR

Ahhh, weight limits on bikes for the masses...sounds like a pretty dumb idea to
me.

Low spoke count wheels are more about marketing then performance. If you have a
choice, get some more 'normal' wheel...and ensure they are built well. If the
dude at performance gives you the '1000 yard stare' when you ask about making
sure they are true, round, dished, tensioned and stress relieved, go elsewhere.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old April 6th 04, 12:06 AM
charles ramsey

Unscrew one of the spokes on the rear wheel and see if the tire hits
the chainstay its easy to damage a spoke when you put a lock through
the wheel and somebody knocks your bike over the spoke breaks while
you ride then you crash.

Convert Hybrid to Touring bike Willy Smallboy Techniques 23 March 26th 04 01:03 PM
Proper tension for Rolf Sestriere? Matt O'Toole Techniques 9 October 30th 03 04:57 AM
ok, hands up jim beam Techniques 58 September 13th 03 03:00 PM
14/15/14 vs. straight-gauge 15 David L. Johnson Techniques 25 September 2nd 03 01:49 PM
Sestriere wheels: spoke length? Chuck Liu Techniques 13 August 4th 03 11:21 PM