Just suppose...

Old June 30th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Just suppose...

Just suppose you bet large money six months ago (or a year ago) on a lot
of Tour outsiders. Then you bought 200 bags of pigs blood from a local
abattoir, and labelled them with names which could be taken to be the
names of likely winners of the tour. Then you publicised the fact that
you were running a blood doping clinic in such a way that the police
were bound to hear of it... I mean, I can't believe just keeping 200
bags of blood is a criminal offence. Sticking labels on 200 bags of
blood isn't a criminal offence. Sticking labels which don't actually
have anyone's real name on them can't be a criminal offence. So you get
all the top contenders kicked out of the Tour, clean up on your bets on
the outsiders, and then turn round to the police and say 'now what
exactly is your case?'

At this point we don't actually /know/ that there's any cyclists' blood
in any of the bags...

No, damnit, I'm clutching at straws here.

;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

Old June 30th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:57:40 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

[...]

Here's a quick fix, run a DNA test on the bags, that can't take more
than a few hours right, WTF hasn't this been done ?

Old June 30th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Keith wrote:

Here's a quick fix, run a DNA test on the bags, that can't take more
than a few hours right, WTF hasn't this been done ?

'Cos too many of those named were hoping it would all go away ....?
Old June 30th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:02:13 +0100, Dan Gregory
wrote:

Keith wrote:

Here's a quick fix, run a DNA test on the bags, that can't take more
than a few hours right, WTF hasn't this been done ?

'Cos too many of those named were hoping it would all go away ....?

Possibly, but who's calling the shots in this "puerto" thing, the
Spanish authorities I thought ! But yes you've got a point if I had
been these guys I would have asked for DNA testing when the **** hit
the fan during the Giro.
Old July 1st 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Simon Brooke wrote:
[...]

One Eurosport article claimed the blood had been cross-checked against
rider samples from Tour06 to verify identity of the blood in the bags.
Apparently they UCI or WADA or whoever owns the samples and can use it
for this sort of thing. I couldn't find the reference, but I imagine
that's the hard evidence that Riis and T-Mobile were talking about when
they pulled their guys. Names on bags is pretty thin without some
corroborating evidence.

Old July 1st 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Keith wrote:
At this point we don't actually /know/ that there's any cyclists' blood
in any of the bags...

No, damnit, I'm clutching at straws here.

Here's a quick fix, run a DNA test on the bags, that can't take more
than a few hours right, WTF hasn't this been done ?

Possibly the (hypothetical) faker worked for a drug-testing lab and had
real blood from cyclists?

Old July 1st 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

The amount taken for testing, however, would be relatively small compared
with the amounts stored for doping transfusions.

oups.com...

Old July 1st 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Simon Brooke wrote:

Just suppose you bet large money six months ago (or a year ago) on a lot
of Tour outsiders. Then you bought 200 bags of pigs blood from a local
abattoir,

More likely to be dogs blood.