New American Classic hub seems rough?

Old September 9th 03, 11:20 PM
Eric Lambi

Default New American Classic hub seems rough?

Hi,

I got a new set of LEW Palermo wheels with American Classic Hubs.
When I was checking out the wheels I noticed the rear hub seemed a
little rough, so I did a rudimentary experiment. I took my rear Rolf
Sestriere, and spun it until it stopped. It took 45s. I then took
the
LEW and spun it until it stopped. It took only 30s. I then tried to
make the LEW spin for 45s by spinning it harder. I couldn't make it
go
that long.

I've also noticed that the friction generated when the cassette body
is
engaged is much higher on the American Classic hub than on the Rolf,
which
I believe is a Hugi hub. i.e., if all other things were equal and you
were coasting on a flat road, the American Classic hub would stop you
sooner
than the Rolf hub.

Like I said, the American Classic hub is supposedly brand new, and it
definitely looks the part. The Rolf hub, by contrast, is several
years old.
So my questions then are does any of this matter? And if so, how do I
tell for sure if something is wrong?

Thanks,

Eric Lambi

Old September 10th 03, 12:48 AM
Mark Wolfe

Does it turn smooth, or does it feel like it's got square bearings or grit
in it? It sounds like it's just stiff from being new.

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
Old September 11th 03, 02:34 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

eric- Thanks for the responses. Sounds like there is no problem . . . I'm
always paranoid when I buy stuff off eBay. BRBR

As you should.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.