American Classic conversion cassette questions

Old November 5th 03, 12:40 AM
Kovie

Default American Classic conversion cassette questions

I just bought a 12-25 10spd American Classic conversion cassette to allow me
to use my new Mavic Cosmos wheels with my new Campy 10spd Centaur
drivetrain. I'm wondering though if it's possible to buy spare individual
cogs to "convert" this conversion cassette to a different ratio, and if so
from whom?

Specifically, I'd like to be able to swap out the 4 highest gears, which
come as two pinned-together dual "cartridges" of 19/21 & 23/25, to either
18/19 & 21/23 (which would effectively turn this into AC's 12-23 cassette),
or 19/21 & 23/27, or perhaps 19/21 & 23/29.

Note that the lower 6 cogs are as follows: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. Is it
possible to swap any of them out to achieve similar results?

Also, does anyone know the recommended torque setting for the
Shimano-compatible AC lockring?

--
Kovie
zen

Old November 5th 03, 04:12 AM
Paul Kopit

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:40:04 GMT, "Kovie"
wrote:

Specifically, I'd like to be able to swap out the 4 highest gears, which
come as two pinned-together dual "cartridges" of 19/21 & 23/25, to either
18/19 & 21/23 (which would effectively turn this into AC's 12-23 cassette),
or 19/21 & 23/27, or perhaps 19/21 & 23/29.

Very difficult. The spacing on the AC cassette is not symetrical.
The inner cogs are really close together. You can save a pile of $ by
just putting a Shimano 12/23 cassette on. Increase the tension in the
derailleur cable by 1½ turns and screw the inner derailleur stop in 1¼
turns. Go riding. You will never miss the 18t cog on a real Campy 10
sp. cassette.
Old November 5th 03, 05:19 AM
Kovie

Nor will I likely ever need the 12 on the AC 10spd cassette. Thus, my 10spd
drivetrain is effectively a 9spd, in terms of the gears I'm likely to use
99% of the time. So I suppose that if I ever need higher gears, I can swap
out the 12-25 10spd for a 9spd 13-27 or 13-29, and never notice the
"missing" gear.

Still, there's no harm in exploring 10spd options.

--
Kovie
zen

Old November 5th 03, 12:53 PM
Robert Strickland

"Kovie" wrote in message
Nor will I likely ever need the 12 on the AC 10spd cassette. Thus, my

10spd
drivetrain is effectively a 9spd, in terms of the gears I'm likely to use
99% of the time. So I suppose that if I ever need higher gears, I can swap
out the 12-25 10spd for a 9spd 13-27 or 13-29, and never notice the
"missing" gear.

Still, there's no harm in exploring 10spd options.

--
Kovie
zen

Hey Kovie,

Sorry, I'm a little late (you already ordered from AC) but you should check
out Marchisio's conversion cassettes. It sounds like they're a little more
customizable then the AC cassettes in that you can buy individual cogs. Also
nice if one or two wear out but the others are still ok. You can find them
he

http://anysystem.de/

So far my Campy 9s Veloce group is running fine with a Shimano hub and 9s
cassette but should I ever decide to build a custom cluster then I'll
probably order it from them.

Rob Strickland