Back Pain On Road Bike

Old August 5th 04, 08:05 AM
Billy

Default Back Pain On Road Bike

Hello group, I have been riding a Mountain bike for about 3 years now.

I decided that I want to get a raod bike so I borrowed my mates for about 3
weeks now.
Its the right size for me.
But I find it very uncomfortable, and I get a sore back, where on the
mountain bike I did not get any back pain.

Is this normal, and will I get used to it ?

I am not sure if I should go and buy a road bike if I will always get back
pain, but like anything, maybe this is normal, and I will get used to it.
Am I right ?

Thanks for any feedback.
Bill

Old August 5th 04, 08:14 AM
Peter McCallum

Billy wrote:

Hello group, I have been riding a Mountain bike for about 3 years now.

I decided that I want to get a raod bike so I borrowed my mates for about 3
weeks now.
Its the right size for me.
But I find it very uncomfortable, and I get a sore back, where on the
mountain bike I did not get any back pain.

Is this normal, and will I get used to it ?

I am not sure if I should go and buy a road bike if I will always get back
pain, but like anything, maybe this is normal, and I will get used to it.
Am I right ?

Thanks for any feedback.
Bill

It may depend on whether you have any back problems normally. I can no
longer use drop handlebar positions due to a disc injury several years
ago. Then again, your back may just be a little weak and need
strengthening up.

The usual treatments for back pain are flexibility exercises that
stretch the hamstrings and back muscles and strengthening of the abdomen
and back. Pilates, yoga and aerobic exercises may be of benefit to you.

Maybe you should consult with a sports physiotherapist to get some
advice on whether you have an underlying problem and the sort of
treatments that can use.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old August 5th 04, 08:21 AM
DaveB

Billy wrote:
But I find it very uncomfortable, and I get a sore back, where on the
mountain bike I did not get any back pain.

Is this normal, and will I get used to it ?

I had similar probs when I started on the road bike (secondhand), back
was so sore I couldn't walk for 3 days. The two things I found were that
it did take time to get used to the new riding position, but more
importantly, regardless of whether the frame is the right size, the
setup is vital. There's a few things that I changed such as seat height,
seat position front-back, and a shorter headstem and I ended up with
something that kept me going for 2 years. I understand some bike shops
will setup the bike for you for a fee (or you could just buy a new bike
and they'll do it for free . It took me 2 years to get to a point I
was happy with. On the weekend I bought a new bike and over an hour had
it setup. Remarkably when I got home and did some measurements the old
and new bikes were setup almost the same. Save yourself 2 years of pain
and effort and get a pro to do it.

DaveB

Old August 5th 04, 09:01 AM
flyingdutch

DaveB Wrote:
Billy wrote:
[...]

actually sounds like its NOT the right size for you. either that or
the seat height/handlebar reach need fiddling. welcome to the quest
that will consume the rest of your life! :-)

--
flyingdutch

Old August 5th 04, 01:28 PM
tonykara

flyingdutch Wrote:
actually sounds like its NOT the right size for you. either that or the
seat height/handlebar reach need fiddling. welcome to the quest that
will consume the rest of your life! :-)

ive been ridiging road bikes for two yers now and have allways had pain
in my lower back, center and across the shoulders. i went to track
cycles (southland) he took my measurements and changed my bike setup to
suit, he also told me to rie with my chest thrusted forward. This change
in spinal position lessedned my sore neck/shoulders but not my lower and
middle back pain.

i went to the chiro and had xrays taken, this showed a calcium buildup
on my lowest virtabrae which restricted my flexibility and also a
severe kink in the top of my spine which was caused by going over the
handle bars head first into the ground (no helmet). he has worked on my
back for about 4 weeks now and the change is amazing, i can touch my
toes for the first time ever, which has increased my reach which inturn
has made my position more comfortable and my middle back is now stiff
rather than sore (getting there slowly)

moral of the story, my chiro has helped heaps both for my positioning
on the bike but in day to day life. quite expensive but worth checking
out, you mite find there is a problem that you didnt know existed cos
mtn bike position is so relaxed.

initial visit $60
ongoing visit $40
x-rays $105

--
tonykara

Old August 6th 04, 06:56 AM
Bow

"tonykara" wrote
sip initial visit $60
ongoing visit $40
x-rays $105

Riding without pain, PRICELESS!

Sorry, I'll go back to sleep now.

Bow

Old August 9th 04, 07:00 AM
Tamyka Bell

Billy wrote:

Hello group, I have been riding a Mountain bike for about 3 years now.

I decided that I want to get a raod bike so I borrowed my mates for about 3
weeks now.
Its the right size for me.
But I find it very uncomfortable, and I get a sore back, where on the
mountain bike I did not get any back pain.

Is this normal, and will I get used to it ?

I am not sure if I should go and buy a road bike if I will always get back
pain, but like anything, maybe this is normal, and I will get used to it.
Am I right ?

Thanks for any feedback.
Bill

Lower back pain often comes from too much lateral movement in the
sacrum. Or, your hips might be rocking from side to side as you pedal.
This would be particularly noticeable on hills, where you tend to push
more. If your bike fits, you should be able to stay in position for
extended periods without any hip movement. Maybe try low cadence stuff
as well. Basically, if you get a good fit, and know the technique, you
shouldn't have a problem. When you decide to go buy a bike, check with
the list for good fit kits in your local area.

Tam
Old August 9th 04, 10:10 AM
Terry Collins

Tamyka Bell wrote:

Billy wrote:

Hello group, I have been riding a Mountain bike for about 3 years now.

I decided that I want to get a raod bike so I borrowed my mates for about 3
weeks now.
Its the right size for me.
But I find it very uncomfortable, and I get a sore back, where on the
mountain bike I did not get any back pain.

Is this normal, and will I get used to it ?

I am not sure if I should go and buy a road bike if I will always get back
pain, but like anything, maybe this is normal, and I will get used to it.
Am I right ?

Thanks for any feedback.
Bill

Lower back pain often comes from too much lateral movement in the
sacrum. Or, your hips might be rocking from side to side as you pedal.

2c. Is your seat just a tad too high?
Assuming you are not riding technical with lowered seat, but general
riding/commuting.
Old April 29th 13, 04:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
mcklan

Back pain while biking is usually caused by poor biking posture. I would suggest you to improve your posture riding bike. If you still have the back pain, then you should consult a chiropractor. You can also visit http://myhhchiro.com, to know more about back pain and its treatments.
Old April 29th 13, 04:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
James[_8_]

On 29/04/13 13:37, mcklan wrote:
Back pain while biking is usually caused by poor biking posture. I
would suggest you to improve your posture riding bike. If you still
have the back pain, then you should consult a chiropractor. You can
also visit http://myhhchiro.com, to know more about back pain and its
treatments.

Reduced flexibility also. Stretching the various muscle groups that
attach direct to the spine and hips (assuming it's lower back) may
alleviate discomfort.

The psoas muscle in particular, can get shortened and cause poor posture
and back pain.

You often see professional racers stretch on the bike. They're not immune.

--
JS.

aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 09:44 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 15th 03 12:08 AM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM