cranks and chain rings

Old August 26th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

Default cranks and chain rings

On Aug 26, 11:35 am, bfd wrote:
On Aug 25, 6:31 pm, John Thompson wrote: On 2008-08-25, bfd wrote:

On Aug 25, 1:28 pm, wrote:

No, meaning less "flash" than the Ritchie WCS set.

I have in mind a TA or Stronglight crank set.
Forget the Stronglight or TA Zephyr, if you want a "compact" crank,

Gosh, here I thought she meant a Stronglight 99 or TA Cyclotouriste.

Showing my age, I guess...

Not really. The Stronglight 99 and/or TA Cyclotouriste can still be
found, albeit used, on craigslist or ebay. However, since she
specifically asked about the TA Zephyr, which has also been
discontinued, she is now looking at either paying about $400 for a new
one or trying to find one used. Good Luck! I provided her with an
alternative, the excellent Sugino Alpina/Cospea crankset from VO.

Interestingly, if she wants a TA Cyclotouriste-style crank, then VO
also offers the Sugino PX crankarms:

http://www.velo-orange.com/supxcr.html

Good Luck!

VO also offers current production TA Cyclotouriste (Pro 5 Vis) arms.
The PX supposedly has clearance for modern FDs, though, at the expense
of higher Q-factor.
Old August 28th 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

On 2008-08-25, bfd wrote:

On Aug 25, 1:28Â*pm, wrote:

No, meaning less "flash" than the Ritchie WCS set.

I have in mind a TA or Stronglight crank set.
Forget the Stronglight or TA Zephyr, if you want a "compact" crank,

Gosh, here I thought she meant a Stronglight 99 or TA Cyclotouriste.

Showing my age, I guess...

Not really. The Stronglight 99 and/or TA Cyclotouriste can still be
found, albeit used, on craigslist or ebay. However, since she
specifically asked about the TA Zephyr, which has also been
discontinued, she is now looking at either paying about $400 for a new
one or trying to find one used. Good Luck! I provided her with an
alternative, the excellent Sugino Alpina/Cospea crankset from VO.

Interestingly, if she wants a TA Cyclotouriste-style crank, then VO
also offers the Sugino PX crankarms:

http://www.velo-orange.com/supxcr.html

Good Luck!

I wasnt asking for recommendations about which crank you think is
best. I was asking about compatability between the various types. e.g
which uses which BB, spacing issues which might occur with the campag
gears etc.
Old August 28th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 25, 5:23*pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:28:43 +0200,
wrote:

Qui si parla Campagnolo writes:

On Aug 25, 1:54*am, wrote:
I'm looking for a comparison of different crank, bottom bracket and
chain ring standards so I can better understand my options to move from
a Ritchie triple ring cranks set on my touring bike to something a
little more "conservative" and traditional such as a TA or similar.

I use Campag Racing T front and rear 9spd derailleurs with chorus ergo lever
brake/shifters.

Any pointers appreciated.

'Conservative', meaning lower gearing, smaller chainrings? You can put
smaller rings onto that crank, BTW.

No, meaning less "flash" than the Ritchie WCS set.

I have in mind a TA or Stronglight crank set.

I am totally confused by what works together these days. I dont even
know what BB is installed for the WCS crank and whether that needs
replacing if I buy a stronglight or TA Zephyr off ebay. Can you shed any
light?

You've already got the cranks and will spend money to look less
flashy? *Spending money for looks is "flashy" in meaning, even if it
doesn't look "flashy."

I will spend a few extra bucks on a rolls royce cause my ferrari looks
too flashy. my casio also looks flashy, I think that I'll replace it
with a patek.

Looking poor costs money. A pair of jeans with torn knees is much $$$$$
$$. I was thinking of proposing the jeans corps to hire me and my
friends to play soccer in jeans. We'll give the jeans the distress
look that they were hoping for.
Old August 28th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On 2008-08-25, Penny wrote:

I'm looking for a comparison of different crank, bottom bracket and
chain ring standards so I can better understand my options to move from
a Ritchie triple ring cranks set on my touring bike to something a
little more "conservative" and traditional such as a TA or similar.

I use Campag Racing T front and rear 9spd derailleurs with chorus ergo lever
brake/shifters.

Any pointers appreciated.

What don't you like about your present set up?

--

John )
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

The campy racing triple are a great setup, i have them. If they are
square taper bb, they are selling for very little right now. That
means that they are not flashy any more. Anyone looking at a bike with
this set up will think, "Oh! campy triple with square taper, that is
barrio junk. This dude is definitely working class, otherwise he'd
upgrade to campy carbon, outboard bb"

A TA is flashy as hell. You cannot find them anymore and they sell for
a good buck. Anyone with a TA looks like a showoff, unless they are
riding an old beaten up British or French touring bike.
Old August 29th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

On Aug 25, 1:54Â*am, wrote:
[...]

Yes. You never do things for the aesthetics (combined with practicality
of course).

Crikey, I ask about compatibility and I get lectured on what my bike
should look like and how I should spend my money. Amazing.
Old August 29th 08, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Aug 25, 1:54*am, wrote:
[...]

No, you got lectured about hypocrisy.

Chain rings. Gaz[_2_] UK 10 July 17th 07 11:55 PM
chain rings Vimal UK 3 June 28th 06 01:39 PM
Cranks that can handle a wide range of chain rings Chris M Techniques 17 March 9th 05 03:56 AM
Cranks that can handle a wide range of chain rings Chris M Racing 1 February 28th 05 11:07 PM
WTB: MTB cranks and rings teubner Marketplace 1 January 7th 04 03:00 PM