Are so many key cycling books really OOP?

Old August 28th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Are so many key cycling books really OOP?

One keeps reading and hearing that The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt
is out of print, yet Amazon reported that they had one new copy. "Had"
because I promptly ordered it. This makes you wonder if other cycling
books which are reported as unobtanium are really out of print or if
the new copies left simply haven't come to light.

I don't know anything about print on demand and other small press
strategies -- I've published in the mainstream with the majors all my
life -- but it does seem to me there should be a better way to keep
key niche books in print. A shining example is the Radio Designer's
Handbook (important to tube amp builders (1)) which Newnes reissued in
a facsimile a few years ago, which must fit into an even smaller niche
than wheelbuilding and certainly than cycling.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html

(1) My review of the RDH4 reissue is reprinted from Glass Audio he
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/J...MPS%20RDH.html
Old August 28th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Harmon

Andre Jute wrote in news:32a2fede-975f-4191-bc1c-
:

[...]

Dover used to do a good job of rerinting older books. Don't know if they
are still at it or if it's germane. I'd bet that the seeming weakening of
copywrite protection has made their business even less profitable.

Barry Harmon
Old August 28th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Barry Harmon wrote:

[...]

Dover used to do a good job of reprinting older books. Don't know if they
are still at it or if it's germane. I'd bet that the seeming weakening of
copywrite protection has made their business even less profitable.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...7743389-379578
http://tinyurl.com/5j3v5f
http://www.avocet.com/wheelbook/wheelbook.html

Jobst Brandt
Old August 29th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
Barry Harmon wrote:

[...]

hey jobst, when are you going to fix all the fundamental errors in your
"peer reviewed" classic? can you include a section on the world's
"slick" aircraft and motorcycle tires while you're editing?

Good cycling books? [email protected] Australia 7 January 31st 05 11:17 AM
Good cycling books? marc_9 Australia 0 January 30th 05 10:16 AM
FA: Various Cycling Books Steven L. Sheffield Racing 0 August 15th 04 03:39 PM
FA: Various Cycling Books Steven L. Sheffield Racing 0 August 12th 04 10:59 AM
On eBay.co.uk, two cycling books MSeries UK 4 November 15th 03 12:45 PM