How long did *your* non-machined rims take to get "machined" bynormal riding?

Old August 29th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default How long did *your* non-machined rims take to get "machined" bynormal riding?

The r.b.t. wisdom seems to be that it's a good long rain ride, right?
I built the Kona's wheels back in February and mind--this is mainly a
go getter, ten miles a day sorta ride, with some undercover duty as a
county exploration vehicle when it gets to borrow a set of spds for a
week.

But finally it got its tracks! Dang is the Alex rim alloy in DM18s
hardern hell. Mind, I replaced a set of front pads on Saturday and the
tracks were still dull!

Sunday, warm drizzle 30 miles and 40# of groceries.

Monday, warm drizzle and a two hour meander by the levee, then out
towards Clarksville.

Tuesday, climbs galore in Warner Park in the wet with insane descents
to boot.

So the little buddy got a good 110 miles of solid rain in three days
and the brake tracks *finally* wore in. Geez.

I guess the limestone around here is pretty gentle, eh? ;-)
Old August 29th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 28, 11:03*pm, landotter wrote:
[...]

What is the "coating" made of?

Velocity d0rk-vees with powder-coating took about four
weeks of hideous howling. No rain, fixed gear (so (likely)
less braking (breaking, if you're from Illinoise(sic))).

The chattery, black streaks (I think) contributed to the
slowing of the wearing of the braking track(s).
Old August 29th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 29, 3:26*pm, wrote:
[...]

Nada--it's just a fairly rough extrusion due to the alloy used by
Alex, thus the braking is a bit "scrapey" sounding, much like car
discs with a bit of rust on them--well it was, now they're polished up
really nice and grab like champs.

I emery boarded the joints first thing, and tried my hand at giving
the whole sidewall a head start--heh, these things are *hard*. No way.
At least they should last the life of the bike.

stamped vs. machined chainrings autopi Techniques 7 September 14th 07 01:38 PM
machined rim jim beam Techniques 38 April 8th 06 08:21 AM
Machined from a solid extruded block vs. Forging Llatikcuf Techniques 34 February 7th 06 04:55 PM
Kookas Machined Down trailguy Unicycling 2 December 18th 04 04:51 AM
Machined 5" Kooka DH cranks for sale Sofa Unicycling 4 April 1st 04 02:33 AM