Tire Help

Old August 30th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter H

Default Tire Help

I hope that someone from this excellent group can assist with this
question. I have a mtb that I would like to convert to my foul-weather
commuter ( about 25 kms each way ) in the greater Toronto Area. Lotsa
foul weather !! The tire/rim setup is as follows.

Kenda Klaw XT Tires, 26 X 1.95
Jalco Rims DX221 (or possibly DX227, sorry but it's impossible to tell
which) I believe the model # is 6062-T6

The max inflation rating on the tires is 65 psi. They're nice and
cushioned, but really slow. Can anyone tell from the above whether
these rims will take a tire that I can take up to 85 psi or so and
would slicks be a viable option?

tia

Peter H
Old August 30th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Peter H wrote:

I hope that someone from this excellent group can assist with this
question. I have a mtb that I would like to convert to my
foul-weather commuter ( about 25 kms each way ) in the greater
Toronto Area. Lotsa foul weather !! The tire/rim setup is as follows.

Kenda Klaw XT Tires, 26 X 1.95 Jalco Rims DX221 (or possibly DX227,
sorry but it's impossible to tell which) I believe the model # is
6062-T6

The max inflation rating on the tires is 65 psi. They're nice and
cushioned, but really slow. Can anyone tell from the above whether
these rims will take a tire that I can take up to 85 psi or so and
would slicks be a viable option?

Probably and yes. In fact, 65 PSI slicks would be a huge improvement.
Old August 30th 08, 08:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 29, 6:19*pm, Peter H wrote:
I hope that someone from this excellent group can assist with this
question. I have a mtb that I would like to convert to my foul-weather
commuter ( about 25 kms each way ) in the greater Toronto Area. Lotsa
foul weather !! The tire/rim setup is as follows.

Kenda Klaw XT Tires, 26 X 1.95
Jalco Rims DX221 (or possibly DX227, sorry but it's impossible to tell
which) I believe the model # is 6062-T6

The max inflation rating on the tires is 65 psi. They're nice and
cushioned, but really slow. Can anyone tell from the above whether
these rims will take a tire that I can take up to 85 psi or so and
would slicks be a viable option?

From what little I could find in the tubes, it looks
to be a fairly average 22.2mm (outside, 17.2mm
inside) double wall rim. It should safely take any
26x1.25 or wider tire, though Sheldon* gives safe
values of 25-37mm (1.00-1.5"), any, or all, of which
should be 80psi capable.

HTH

*http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width
Old August 30th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Aug 29, 5:19*pm, Peter H wrote:
I hope that someone from this excellent group can assist with this
question. I have a mtb that I would like to convert to my foul-weather
commuter ( about 25 kms each way ) in the greater Toronto Area. Lotsa
foul weather !! The tire/rim setup is as follows.

Kenda Klaw XT Tires, 26 X 1.95
Jalco Rims DX221 (or possibly DX227, sorry but it's impossible to tell
which) I believe the model # is 6062-T6

The max inflation rating on the tires is 65 psi. They're nice and
cushioned, but really slow. Can anyone tell from the above whether
these rims will take a tire that I can take up to 85 psi or so and
would slicks be a viable option?

tia

Peter H

Many makers make slicks for those rims in the 1.25 thru 1.75 size
range. maxxis, geax, Conti, Vittoria..many.
Old August 30th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 29, 6:19*pm, Peter H wrote:
I hope that someone from this excellent group can assist with this
question. I have a mtb that I would like to convert to my foul-weather
commuter ( about 25 kms each way ) in the greater Toronto Area. Lotsa
foul weather !! The tire/rim setup is as follows.

Kenda Klaw XT Tires, 26 X 1.95
Jalco Rims DX221 (or possibly DX227, sorry but it's impossible to tell
which) I believe the model # is 6062-T6

The max inflation rating on the tires is 65 psi. They're nice and
cushioned, but really slow. Can anyone tell from the above whether
these rims will take a tire that I can take up to 85 psi or so and
would slicks be a viable option?

A 1.25-1.5 skinwall slick inflated to 85 pounds or so would knock your
socks and a good half kilogram off the bike as well. Available from
quite a few different folks. You might want a belted model if you're
cycling in the slop.

For ultimate reliability, though--something with a thicker tread is in
order. Performance has their Schwalbe Marathon clone, the "Gotham" on
sale right now for a measly $10USD. Can't go wrong with that--it
fights the streets with your basic smoothish and thick tread.