Cycling in Toronto

Old July 28th 16, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default Cycling in Toronto

https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=71265
Old July 28th 16, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 7:46:11 PM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 12:12:59 AM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 4:35:23 PM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
On 27/07/2016 11:31 AM, jbeattie wrote:
You should get a Lloyds policy for your Assos bibs -- or else create a self-insurance reserve. Every time you ride, put a dollar in a jar, and a year later, you'll have enough to cover a new pair if something goes wrong -- assuming inflation stays low. I wonder if the decline of the Euro has made them any cheaper.

Maybe $2 a ride...
Seriously, they held up better than my skin.

Your skin isn't plastic.

Assos must be the most expensive plastic that hasn't yet made a Moon landing.

Andre Jute
...who wears cotton

PS I don't know whether the Euro declined. I live in a Eurocurrency country, Ireland, and the banknotes (Americans call them bills) appear to be still the same size, and not more bowed under debt than before.

However, the pound (Sterling) has fallen so drastically that I'm splurging on art supplies from British mail order merchants. You should get in before sterling, basically a sound currency, recovers.

Andre Jute
Can you spare a dime, buddy? -- lyric embodying the gestalt of an era before any of us were born

how's the used Elite market ?

Old July 31st 16, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Riddle[_2_]

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:51:44 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/27/2016 10:06 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 5:04:04 AM UTC-7, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
An interesting study has made the news. Street car tracks are a factor.
http://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral...889-016-3242-3

The methodology looks to be humanities-based and less than scientific.

Okay, let the RBT critique of the study begin!
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

I don't think it's terribly controversial. https://farm1.staticflickr.com/64/17...39a79094fb.jpg

My last crash was on lightly snow covered streetcar tracks. I saw them; I slowed; I squared up to the turn in the tracks . . . and went down. Fwooop, whap. Right on my hip. I was on lugged, studded tires, and that may have lessened my traction, but who knows. The streetcar tracks and light rail tracks through downtown PDX (they're everywhere) are certainly a lot better than standard railroad tracks in terms of wheel trapping, but during the winter/spring/fall -- well, whenever it rains (could be summer), I know they are a serious slip hazard.

One of my only two motorcycle falls happened on wet railroad tracks. I
was moving maybe 3 mph, making a sharp turn, and neither I nor the bike
were injured. But it sure seemed like zero coefficient of friction!

Same for manhole covers
I laid down a 20" Ross with wire baskets for delivering papers when I
was young, speeding thru town on a wet night.
The spectators got a fireworks show, from the baskets grinding on the
pavement ;D
They said it looked spectacular!

Cheers
Old August 2nd 16, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

wrote:

. . . But it sure seemed like zero coefficient of friction!

I once lost control of my bicycle four times while crossing a singe
pair of tracks. (Two wheels, two rails.)

And I was walking.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old August 2nd 16, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

. . . But it sure seemed like zero coefficient of friction!

I once lost control of my bicycle four times while crossing a singe
pair of tracks. (Two wheels, two rails.)

And I was walking.

Well, everybody knows that walking is dangerous! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski