Geometrical traffic hazards

Old May 9th 20, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Geometrical traffic hazards

On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 1:02:13 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 12:59:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 7:45:40 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/4/2020 1:12 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 3 May 2020 22:12:54 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I guess we'll see how well the Canadians survive without guns with
special features intended to facilitate mass killings.

So far, Australia seems to be getting along pretty well. New Zealand
too. Most of Europe has never had the problem in the first place.

But admittedly, none of those are a short walk from the gun-craziest
major country.

On the other hand there were some 36,560 killed on U.S. roads in 2018
and everyone just shrugs their shoulders and says "accident".
22 get killed with guns and all the zealots are leaping up and down,
waving their arms and screaming.

Your comparison is faulty. One figure is for an entire year. The other
is for one day.

Also, as mentioned before, it's a psychological and societal fact that
not all deaths are regarded equally. Some are considered regrettable but
inevitable, such as those of the very elderly. Some are given serious
prevention efforts, such as traffic deaths, but are impossible or
impractical to totally prevent. Some are viewed as needless
abominations. Mass shootings fall in that category.

Your understanding of the problem is faulty from top to bottom as is usual. 1/2 of all gun deaths in the US are suicides. The other half is almost entirely gang warfare. Mass murder or people killed in the commitment of crimes is vanishingly small.

For every gun death the presence of a gun prevents 5 crimes from occurring.

Really, how do you know that? From all the reports of crimes that did not occur?

Consider this, simply pointing a gun at a person -- even an unloaded gun -- is illegal in most states. https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.190 https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/163.190 So if one of them Mex-e-cans stumbles on to your front weed patch, and you pull your gun -- you have committed the crime. According to my statistics (gathered from the voices in my head), for every gun death, there are an additional five gun crimes committed. Maybe even ten. It could be as high as 20 in Oakland.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, do you suppose that attempted crimes go unreported? Or are you in cross-examination mode and believing that you can pull bull**** out of Franks mouth too?
Old May 9th 20, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 5/4/2020 1:12 AM, John B. wrote:
[...]

You make an excellent point, one which garners a wide eyed
uncomprehending stare when I explain that television and
real life are very different for new firearms owners.

That said, :
https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/467988
and many similar.

More, with a hat tip to Mr Krygowski, even a passing
education in principle and law would go a very long way to
greater safety and effectiveness. Don't hold your breath on
that in a country famous for not reading directions on anything.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

How dare you contradict Frank and Jay who are leaning so far left that Franks is laying on his side and Jay would be if Frank wasn't in his way.
Old May 9th 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 9:43:42 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/7/2020 9:14 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 7 May 2020 21:04:09 UTC-4, John B. wrote:

But perhaps more pertinent is that when I attended the National Pistol
Matches, at Camp Perry, Ohio, as a member of a USAF pistol team I was
required to attend safety classes taught by instructors from the U.S.
Army and one of the things emphasized was, "Never point a gun at
anything that you don't intend to shoot."
--
cheers,

John B.

And the following line to that was "don't shoot anything you don't intend to kill".

Hmm. I was shooting at some targets last week. When I finished, the
targets were just as alive as they had ever been.

I guess I failed.

--
- Frank Krygowski

If you're trying to convince me that you own a gun or that you could even get near a target firing one you've failed miserably.
Old May 9th 20, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

That said, :
https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/467988
and many similar.

More, with a hat tip to Mr Krygowski, even a passing
education in principle and law would go a very long way to
greater safety and effectiveness. Don't hold your breath on
that in a country famous for not reading directions on anything.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How dare you contradict Frank and Jay who are leaning so far left that Franks is laying on his side and Jay would be if Frank wasn't in his way.

It's funny. My left-leaning friends call me conservative! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 20, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

That said, :
https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/467988
and many similar.

More, with a hat tip to Mr Krygowski, even a passing
education in principle and law would go a very long way to
greater safety and effectiveness. Don't hold your breath on
that in a country famous for not reading directions on anything.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How dare you contradict Frank and Jay who are leaning so far left that Franks is laying on his side and Jay would be if Frank wasn't in his way.

It's funny. My left-leaning friends call me conservative! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

One can only imagine what sort of people these are if they think of you as conservative. Anyone that would tell me that I didn't hit my head on an overhanging limb is do out of it that there's nothing left inside of your head except dust.

Bollard hazards Frank Krygowski[_4_] Techniques 0 January 27th 20 04:19 PM
Hazards Dan O Techniques 20 September 17th 10 02:06 PM
Hazards of night cycling Donald Gillies Techniques 0 September 27th 07 07:18 PM
The hazards of NCN 11 Mike Causer UK 13 January 17th 07 10:50 PM
not all hazards are on the road Zebee Johnstone Australia 2 July 28th 06 04:20 AM