Ride offroad! Commune with nature!

Old July 13th 20, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Ride offroad! Commune with nature!

https://nypost.com/video/snakebite-s...for-antivenom/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 13th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/13/2020 9:28 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/video/snakebite-s...for-antivenom/

What I've heard: There are three most widespread types of North American
poisonous snakes. None are very interested in biting you, but any might
if they feel sufficiently threatened.

Rattlesnakes prefer to rattle to scare you away. Cottonmouths (water
moccasins) prefer to show their wide-open mouths and look scary.

Copperheads don't have those tricks. So they just give you a quick
little nip.

They don't inject much venom at all when they do that. Why? They want to
save their venom for important stuff, like mice or lizards that they can
eat.

So supposedly, Copperheads cause the most bites but the fewest serious
problems.

---

My only snakebite experience: Riding with my little kid in our local
forest preserve, I saw a small snake crossing the gravel road just after
she passed. I wanted to show it to her, so just as its head had made it
into the weeds, I grabbed its tail and pulled it back.

It whipped around and bit me on the finger, two little pinpricks of
blood. Then it went into full Cobra imitation, coiled, head raised,
hissing.

What to do? I was quite sure it wasn't poisonous, but before smart
phones, I had no camera. So I caught the snake, rode about a mile home
with it, put it in a jar and used my books to be sure it was a garter
snake. I then gave it another bike ride, back to its home.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 16th 20, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 8:28:33 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/video/snakebite-s...for-antivenom/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Copperhead snakes are some of the more commonly seen North American snakes. They're also the most likely to bite, although their venom is relatively mild, and their bites are rarely fatal for humans.

When you post, you might want to do some research.

Best regards,

Andy
Old July 16th 20, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/16/2020 12:04 AM, AK wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 8:28:33 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/video/snakebite-s...for-antivenom/

Copperhead snakes are some of the more commonly seen North American snakes. They're also the most likely to bite, although their venom is relatively mild, and their bites are rarely fatal for humans.

When you post, you might want to do some research.

Best regards,

Andy

Research what? That was mentioned in the link already.

Old July 16th 20, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/16/2020 1:04 AM, AK wrote:

When you post, you might want to do some research.

Andrew simply posted a link. Posting a link shouldn't have a research
prerequisite. In fact, it shouldn't be taken to mean the poster endorses
any statements in the link.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 17th 20, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 6:28:33 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/video/snakebite-s...for-antivenom/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

There are only 4 venomous snakes native to the continental USA. Oddly enough the coral snake - the smallest is related to the cobra family and has the most powerful and dangerous venom. Rattlesnakes, Water Moccasins and Copperheads are all of the same family. While their bite can cause health problems in general they are reasonably non-lethal and their bite is almost always stopped by boots. The coral snake is a rear fanged snake and you have to be holding it for it to get around to biting you.

For the rattlesnake family the antivenom stops the extreme swelling that can occur in some cases, the coral snake with is very rare, can stop your heart. 99.9% of the snakes you see are harmless. Rattlesnakes warn you away this group has to be coiled to strike so just crawling along they are almost harmless.

Snakes being cold blooded are drawn to roads in the morning to warm themselves on the dark asphalt absorbing the suns early rays.

Yesterday when I went up Niles Canyon and then over Palomares I saw three snakes that bicyclists had run over. This is the environmentalism of the bicyclist today. Ignorance or bust. Riding down the shoreline trail with a group I saw a green and yellow lengthwise striped garter snake. I stopped to pick him up and get him off of the trail and one of the people that always was talking about "conservation" and what a great idea renewable power was started screaming like a little girl "Kill it kill it." Today's conservationists. Quite a bit different from my day though this guy is two years older than I am. I was taught to respect nature.
Old July 18th 20, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 9:33:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Me and my brothers had lots of experience with water moccasins when hunting for
golf balls along a bayou.

They will hiss when they hear you coming.

Most animals act on instinct and do not wish to hurt humans.

Best regards,

Andy

Offroad Light Noel UK 6 November 7th 06 10:14 PM
Suspended recumbent offroad? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 8 August 24th 06 03:24 PM
RR: Typical Mountain Biker Goes for ride and (Gasp!) Enjoys Nature! MattB Mountain Biking 4 May 12th 05 02:47 PM
Galaxy Offroad ? Tom McCabe UK 6 July 28th 04 10:09 AM
Hardcore offroad machine *g* Arpit Australia 34 September 15th 03 01:20 AM