Thorn Raven Tour with Rohloff for sale -- not mine -- Sheldon had one

Old August 23rd 20, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Thorn Raven Tour with Rohloff for sale -- not mine -- Sheldon had one

Sheldon Brown had one of these bikes, and for good reasons. It is a famous touring bike, but one of those you have to know about because most cyclists will never even see one as it is a relatively pricey bike new, and many of the experienced tourers order them in dull stealth colours and even stealthier labelling trim. (I was once inspecting the really worn saddlebag on a bike parked outside a pub when the owner came out and it was only when he and I recognised each other from correspondence on the forum that I realised that under the touring dirt it was a Thorn bike. Unfortunately, while impulse thieves won't know what they are, they are one of those bikes that appear to be stolen to order.) There's one I know of in Oregon, and another close by Andrew Muzi, Sheldon's in Boston, and a couple in Canada. I found this ad on the Thorn site but the link below the ad is for the Facebook marketplace because it has the photos. Be careful about Thorn sizes. They are semi-custom bikes and offer two virtual top tube lengths for every standover height, depending on whether the owner will fit flat bars or drop bars. Enjoy the photos. Here's the owner's ad:
****

Selling this lovely Thorn Raven World Class World Touring bicycle with Rohloff 14 speed rear hub.
This is an everything bike. It will take you around the world but is equally at home doing your daily commute and / or fully loaded weekly shop.
The frame is probably the best touring frame you can buy.
The Rohloff hub is the best internal hub gear you can buy.
Quality touring rims and Deore hubs.
Deore LX V-Brakes give perfect stopping performance.
SKS Mudguards front and rear.
Thorn's Heavy duty racks front and rear.
Front stem light bar.
Schwalbe Dureme tyres with thousands of miles left on them.
Suit rider from 5'8" to 5'11" (mid top tube standover height 79cms)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2733515824182/

Sheldon Brown's Bikes for Sale Tony Raven[_2_] UK 1 November 17th 08 12:05 AM
My new Thorn raven Tour Pinky UK 27 November 13th 06 08:43 PM
Rohloff / Thorn eccentric bottom bracket shell BobT Techniques 4 January 16th 06 02:16 PM
ANYONE NEED A CYCLING BUDDY? MINE IS FOR SALE! marco007esq UK 8 January 30th 05 01:44 AM
Thorn Tourer for sale Jack Russell Australia 0 January 22nd 05 04:45 AM