Interesting ads re 6-speed downtube shifters

Old September 3rd 20, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Interesting ads re 6-speed downtube shifters

On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 21:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 6:02:03 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
On 8/19/2020 5:23 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've been looking for some Shimano N600 Index downtube shifters. In my search I've come across many ads touting different shifters as being both 6-speed and 7-speed.

Now according to my memory, which may be faulty, 7-speed shifters do NOT play nice with 6 speed freewheels or cassettes due to different spacing. Is my memory correct? Remember we are discussing SHIMANO not Suntour or anyone else.

Cheers

Sheldon has an answer, of sorts: Second table on the page.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

My recollection is that 6-speed Shimano indexed was what Sheldon calls
"Regular" 6-speed. 5.5mm center-to-center. Shimano 7-speed is 5.0mm.

Of course that's at the cassette; maybe some mis-matched rear derailleur
would translate a 7-speed shifter's cable pull into 6-speed pulley
movement, but that seems unlikely.

Mark J.

D'OH !! So my super-cool Modolo Morpheus brifters aint gone work with the as-new Maruishi TA18 I just bought. Until I ditch the 6speed freewheel.
Well, that's not too terrible. I aint hung up on keeping the freewheel or the 6speed anyway.

I remember instructions on which side of the retaining screw to fix
the rear shifter cable to convert to another rear cluster. see
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/drivetrain-mixing.shtml
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 3rd 20, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Now I will admit that when I ride a bike I actually use my eyeballs to look ahead in the road and anticipate and think about what is coming up.

Have you tried using your eyeballs to lift you up hills? Works nicely. Focus on a point on the road ahead of you, then rotate your eyeballs down, while keeping them focused on the same point. Since the absolute angle of their direction cannot change, your body must rotate around them, and so is lifted up the hill.

Old September 4th 20, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/3/2020 8:26 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/3/2020 12:08 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Wait - observing, thinking and planning ahead?? Russell,
you're obviously a very unusual guy!

Ordinary people need shifters that will do extreme emergency
shifts, because hills appear without warning. They wear out
wheel rims from frequent emergency stops, or perhaps have
their lives saved only because they use extra special
brakes. They wear helmets because they can't possibly notice
all the tree branches hanging low enough to take out a car's
windshield.

FWIW, I see similar behavior in motorists. Yesterday there
were several motorists who rushed up in the wrong freeway
lane then had to bully their way to the exit lane at the
last possible second. I guess it's because those freeway
exits move around a lot.

It's the highway's fault! It's the auto's fault! It's the algorithm's
fault!
https://www.9news.com/article/life/a...0-25442d781eba

Never pilot error.

I think an autopilot system that requires a human to remain alert for
emergencies is bogus and dangerous. It's practically impossible for a
human to keep alert when there is seldom a need to take action.

When that need arises, as it will on the road, the human driver's mind
will be elsewhere.

--
- Frank Krygowski