Jeff Liebermann -- Are You O.K.?

Old September 6th 20, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Jeff Liebermann -- Are You O.K.?

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 08:53:34 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

Are you f***** nuts? (rhetorical question). PGE is a regulated utility. They have a guaranteed ROI after all expenses -- including energy inputs and maintenance. Rates reflect necessary spending for line maintenance. So, the the company is either poorly managed and did not devote sufficient resources to maintenance or it used maintenance resources to pay investors. Rate structures are arcane and favor capital spending rather than maintenance, but the money is there to do the work. You need to focus on why it wasn't spent or where it went. Clean energy just means your bill is higher.

-- Jay Beattie.

For your amusement. See the "Demand Trend" graph for CAISO at:
http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/default.aspx
The predicted peak demand for today is 49 GW (giga-watts). PG&E
usually starts pulling the plug at 45 GW. So, that's a 5 GW shortfall
which means that PG&E will likely perform rotating outages during peak
hours today.

However, if you look at the current curtailed and non-operational
generator report,
http://content.caiso.com/unitstatus/data/unitstatus202009060830.html
it shows about 4 GW or 8% of total demand to be offline for
unspecified reasons. Were these generators running today, CAISO might
possibly be able to deliver power through todays demand peak without
the need for any rotating outages.

Note that the 49 GW number is for the entire CAISO grid, which extends
into several other states and is growing:
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=32052
The demands are not uniform over the grid. I fear local rotating
outages will be necessary due to localized demand peaks.

Incidentally, when they talk about importing power, it's usually from
these balancing authorities:
https://www.westerneim.com/Pages/About/default.aspx
http://www.caiso.com/Documents/InterconnectionOptionsBasics.pdf

Status report: My house, my car, and I are all ok thanks to the
firefighters. The fire crept to within 1500 ft of my house. The blue
thing with the white dot is my house:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CZU-Fire/Jackson%20Ave%202020-08-29.pdf

1.25 hrs until peak load (at 3PM). If I disappear suddenly, you can
guess what happened.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 6th 20, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 06 Sep 2020 13:45:25 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

1.25 hrs until peak load (at 3PM). If I disappear suddenly, you can
guess what happened.

Oops. That should be:

1.0 hr until peak temperature (at 3PM) and 3.5 hrs (at 5:30PM) until
predicted peak load. If I disappear suddenly, you can guess what
happened.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 6th 20, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Assumed bodily into heaven?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 6th 20, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 06 Sep 2020 16:12:51 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

"If I disappear suddenly, you can guess what happened."

Assumed bodily into heaven?

Hardly. According to the ancient text and ignoring limbo, a persons
soul is traditionally transported to either heaven or hell after
death. I've always suspected that my final destination would be hell.
However, I never considered the possibility that hell would come to me
(probably to save on the cost of transportation). The brush fires,
high temperatures (112F, 44.4C), and politics that are currently
trashing the US left coast seem to be a close facsimile of Dante's
inferno. So, if you're looking for a continuation of my marginally
bicycle related drivel after my well deserved demise, please route all
correspondence via hell or whichever loser wins the election in
November.

It's also possible that the high temperatures and forest fires are
evidence of the wrath of the gods, probably because Burning Man might
infringe on the devils copyright.

Drivel: I've had animated flaming wallpaper on my various phones and
tablets for many years:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fishnoodle.fire
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=fire%20wallpaper&c=apps
I didn't think of the implications until a friend suggested that it's
probably not a good idea during the current brush/forest fire season.
The theory is that if I carry the living image of a fire and beckon
unto the image of the fire, it will come for me.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 7th 20, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, September 6, 2020 at 3:39:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

If the power is shut off do the Transporters still work? Or are they battery operated?
Old September 7th 20, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 09:40:19 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

[...]

It's difficult for me to speculate on the technology available to
gods, deities, alien visitors, and other poorly defined divinities.
However, since this has apparently become an important question for
bicyclists everywhere, I'll make the attempt.

It's a fair assumption that upon death, the departed soul is
weightless, or rather mass less. It would therefore be
electromagnetic in nature and encoded with the details of one's
personality, memories, and DNA. I have no idea how many bits of data
are required to do this, but that doesn't really matter. Humans are
generally created equal, with substantial amounts of redundant data.
For example, it would be necessary to transport information about the
number of hands, legs, heads, eyes, etc the deceased may have
possessed, because all humans have those same characteristics. It is
therefore only necessary to transport information about the
differences. For identification purposes, that's only 32.6 bits of
information:
https://33bits.wordpress.com/about/
which easily be transmitted to the secret location of heaven will
little effort. Using available 40 year old technology, Voyager 1 and
2 can do that in a few minutes, should they eventually find and land
in heaven.

The rest of the data is the storage capacity of the human brain which
is estimated to be 2.5 petabytes (2.5 million gigabytes):
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-memory-capacity/
Allegedly, humans only use about 10% of their brain capacity. However,
that is a myth. We use the entire brain:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-people-only-use-10-percent-of-their-brains/
We again have the situation where it is not necessary to transport the
entire 2.5 petabytes of brain data. Because there are so many people
that have read the same books, recycled the same jokes, have seen the
same movies, etc. Sending just the differences would drastically
reduce the data transporter requirement.

Therefore, once the necessary data describing your soul is reduced to
a manageable size, transmission power requirements are small and
presuming that deities have perfect, noise-free receivers available
for the reception of souls, running on nanopower should not be a
problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 8th 20, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

This sentence makes sense only when it is restated as the opposite of what you wrote, Jeff:
"For example, it would be [un]necessary to transport information about the
number of hands, legs, heads, eyes, etc the deceased may have
possessed, because all humans have those same characteristics."

What's more, even as corrected, the sentence would only apply to anyone who is not the first human to land up in Heaven, and that first human in Heaven would furthermore need not to be an amputee or otherwise handicapped or malformed.* I looked up St Augustine on the subject but it is long time since I needed to read Latin on the fly and the net result is that my head hurts. I don't blame you, though.

Andre Jute
* Nor can we trust the inhabitants or even the chief statistician of Heaven to deduce from the steady flow of entrants those characteristics you assume we may take for granted. *We* might, but he could equally live in a nine-dimensional world where perfect certainly is zero (and imagine, on top of this that he has no concept for zero because no Indian mathematicians have made it into Heaven), and unity is perfect uncertainty.

Old September 8th 20, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Augustine, a man after my own heart:
"Lord, make me chaste but not yet."

RR: NJ Jeff Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 2 September 17th 06 01:42 PM
Thanks Jeff [email protected] Racing 6 September 5th 06 07:44 PM
Thank You Jeff Jones Steady Rollin' Man Racing 1 September 25th 05 03:59 PM
Nice, Jeff Morgan Fletcher Racing 1 June 16th 05 09:56 PM
Thanks jeff Bill C Racing 5 March 22nd 05 02:44 PM