Awesome practice

Old August 27th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
monkeyman

Default Awesome practice

So today, Matt (Dudewithasock) and I, and one of our friends named Sam,
who is still a beginner (but isn't on the forums because he won't have
internet until Tuesday-ish), decided to go out somewhere different to
ride. We chose our highschool campus, because we'd noticed lately that
it has a lot of good places to ride on (stairs, ledges and such),
because it's old, and has had multiple add-ons.

So we get everything set up, and go drive out there. Near the parking
lot we parked at, there were some sets of two stairs (I know, I know,
all the good people are already rolling their eyes)...Matt and I had
never had the opportunity to try just riding down stair sets before, so
we both went for it, and we both made it. Sam (who has only been
riding since late June, and not able to go down curbs well until about
2 weeks ago) decides he wants to try it. Not wanting to discourage him
or anything, we let him go, but we both had our doubts about it. He
tries it, and gets it on his third try. He's riding my old 24" CX,
with it's 1" width tire. Needless to say, we were surprised, and
impressed.

After that, we rode around to the other side of the school, and find
some three sets, and some ledges, and some fairly normal stuff, and we
stay there for a bit, getting some good clips for our vid (coming by
next week). We head over to an area ledge that's just about 5 inches
wide, and about 3 feet off the ground, and that has about 4 inch drops
every 9 feet or so.

I realized I had left the stuff across the parking lot, so I headed
back over to get it, and I turned around and saw Matt on top of said
ledge, hopping in place. I almost fell off the uni in shock. This may
not seem huge to some of y'all, but to us, it's definitely a big step.
He was later able to ride the entire length of it, drops and all.
There was a good amount of progress made towards rolling 180's into
backwards riding by both me and Matt, and Sam got a good bit better at
static hopping in place. He can now get one hop almost 100%, and
normally he can get two or three if he tries to do it.

Right before we left, we headed back to the three set, because Sam
wanted to try it. Still using the 1" wide CX, he tries a few times,
and almost gets it every time, but always falls pedaling away. So,
after making him put on shinguards, we let him try on Matt's 24" DX..he
gets it on his first try.

All in all, it turned out to be a very successful ride, with many good
clips for our vid.

There ya go...it's no Mikefule write-up, but it's the best I can do.

--
monkeyman

Alex, MR addict.

THE dave wrote:
walruses are awesome... they just chill with their tusks and stuff...

sobriquet wrote:
If this joke were a sandwich it would be the wurst.

monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

Old August 27th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dudewithasock

You left out some stuff I think, but I guess we don't wanna spoil
anything for the video.

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'
officially ended.

trials_uni wrote:
Ha Quebec...Is that place still there?

dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS Watch An Awesome Gadget JustOneWheel Unicycling 2 April 3rd 06 08:11 AM
Awesome Rides silverfridge Unicycling 3 January 28th 06 09:34 AM
Practice required to become "good" UNIquelyCanadian Unicycling 5 September 4th 05 03:20 AM
[Long story] Why unicyclists are awesome: A shameless plug for Bedford/ Kris H. Fuego Unicycling 8 May 9th 05 07:21 AM
Where's Mike Imrem now? 88' heat cancels football practice! crit pro Racing 4 August 5th 04 05:40 PM