west mercia questions

Old July 26th 08, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Default west mercia questions

Following the publication of the link a few days ago I starting asking
some questions.
As I guessed the interchange followed the expected pattern i.e. 88%
Bhit, "if one life can be saved etc.... but in the middle came

"We have direct experience of collisions that have occurred involving
cyclists where a helmet has saved them from serious injury and possibly
saved their life."

I'm now asking them

"Could you please provide me either with a reference or a link to the
information that allows her to make this claim?"

What's the odds on a real reply?
Old July 26th 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 14:15:03 +0100
Marc wrote:

"Could you please provide me either with a reference or a link to the
information that allows her to make this claim?"

What's the odds on a real reply?

Something between null and zilch.

Old July 26th 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
didds

On 26 Jul, 14:15, Marc wrote:

"We have direct experience of collisions that have occurred involving
cyclists where a helmet has saved them from serious injury and possibly
saved their life."

What's the odds on a real reply?

They won't "need" to provide one. Their claim is not based on
"research has shown" but "We have direct experience".

The direct experince could be one incident. But it is still "direct
experience" . No names, no pack drill because of course names and
specific incidents that could identify an individual for verification
will be deemed "Data Protection".

didds
Old July 26th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

On Jul 26, 9:15*am, Marc wrote:
Following the publication of the link a few days ago I starting asking
some questions.
As I guessed the interchange followed the expected pattern i.e. 88%
Bhit, "if one life can be saved etc.... but in the middle came

"We have direct experience of collisions that have occurred involving
cyclists where a helmet has saved them from serious injury and possibly
saved their life."

I'm now asking them

"Could you please provide me either with a reference or a link to the
information that allows her to make this claim?"

What's the odds on a real reply?

I don't know but I've been asking for data on helmet effectivenss from
a Canadian organization for about 3 years and so far, I have received
nothing.

Don't expect too much.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Old July 26th 08, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:30:28 -0700 (PDT)
John Kane wrote:

I've been asking for data on helmet effectivenss from
a Canadian organization for about 3 years and so far, I have received
nothing.

Presumably this is an organisation that would like to support the notion
that helmets are effective?

Old July 26th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Luton[_2_]

Marc wrote:
Following the publication of the link a few days ago I starting asking
some questions.
As I guessed the interchange followed the expected pattern i.e. 88%
Bhit, "if one life can be saved etc.... but in the middle came

"We have direct experience of collisions that have occurred involving
cyclists where a helmet has saved them from serious injury and possibly
saved their life."

It is pretty meaningless anyway - how can you tell from the outcome of
a few events what the outcome would have been is a variable had been
changed ?

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old July 27th 08, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Marc wrote:
Following the publication of the link a few days ago I starting asking
some questions.
As I guessed the interchange followed the expected pattern i.e. 88%
Bhit, "if one life can be saved etc.... but in the middle came
"We have direct experience of collisions that have occurred involving
cyclists where a helmet has saved them from serious injury and possibly
saved their life."

I'm now asking them
"Could you please provide me either with a reference or a link to the
information that allows her to make this claim?"

You could also ask about their direct experience of collisions that have
occurred involving motorists and pedestrians where a helmet could have
saved them from serious injury and possibly saved their life - if cycle
helmets are as effective as they say, there must be loads, right?

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.
Old July 27th 08, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Colin McKenzie wrote:
Marc wrote:
[...]

After all if it saves just one life!
Old July 27th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:26:27 +0100, Marc
said in
:

After all if it saves just one life!

If you get the same "we believe" response, consider replying that
you apologise, you did not realise it was a religious issue, you
thought it was to do with road safety. Could they please indicate
in future where they use religious tenets mixed up with road safety
questions in surveys, to avoid confusion.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

A whole lotta Questions! (so i dont make up 5 threads of 5 diffrent questions) Unisykolist Unicycling 25 May 3rd 08 01:35 AM
A whole lotta Questions! (so i dont make up 5 threads of 5 diffrent questions) Unisykolist Unicycling 10 May 2nd 08 07:02 PM
A whole lotta Questions! (so i dont make up 5 threads of 5 diffrent questions) Eddbmxdude Unicycling 0 April 30th 08 10:18 AM
West Mercia Police Tony Raven UK 0 September 8th 06 12:11 PM
Response from West Mercia Police Marc Brett UK 23 August 23rd 06 09:08 PM