Wide Hips and Q-Factor

Old August 24th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Wide Hips and Q-Factor

I'm pretty sure my hip width is towards the right side of the
bell curve.

The distance between my sit bones (as measured center-to-center
on the indents they make on a sheet of styrofoam) is 5" or 127mm.

Extrapolating from the usable area underneath a WTB Speed-V
saddle (the softer gray spots) I'm guessing that the average sit
bone width is more like 3.5" or 89mm.

To cut to the chase:

My bike's Q-factor is 165mm (MTB bottom bracket).

I ride flats.

Whenever I look down, my feet are planted almost an inch outwards
on each pedal. I can move them in, no problem. But after a few
miles they always find their way out to the original position.

I would also note that my hips used to ache a *lot* when I was
riding clipped in. Now they don't bother me much at all.

I'm thinking there's a relationship between ichial tuberosity
width and the most desirable Q-factor that transcends the rear
cog's width and chain line considerations.

i.e. Some people would benefit from wider pedal spacing.

Anybody care to comment?

--
PeteCresswell
Old August 24th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pete Cresswell wrote:
[...]

These people agree: http://www.kneesaver.net/.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 24th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

I don't know about "Q-factor", but it seems like preferred foot angle
(toe in) seems to find itself that way with flat pedals, I wouldn't be
surprised if lateral foot spacing worked the same way. My rule: keep
changing angles and distances until things don't hurt. I've spent hours
setting up handlebars, stems, levers and saddles. I like to do it on a
trainer, hopping on & off after tweaking. It seems when you get things
just right you get that "bike disappears beneath you" feeling.
Old August 25th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Some people would benefit from wider pedal spacing.

I think that's true. People vary in all three dimensions and the most
comfortable bike fit would also have to be managed in three dimensions.
Flexibility is an issue in fit, too.
Old August 25th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 24, 4:46*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

My sit bones are usually 135 ~ 140 mm as measured on the Specialized
or Bontrager sit on thingy in the shop. That makes me exceptionally
wide for a male. IIRC, the mean might be close to 118 mm for men. So
you're 89 mm is apparently pretty narrow.

However sit bones ain't hips - I imagine other aspects of the skeletal
structure must affect Q-factor as well (or more?).
Old August 25th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 24, 4:55*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pete Cresswell wrote:
[...]

I have to have them on all my bicycles, or the inside of my thighs get
sore from pulling my legs in.
Old August 25th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cycling bee

On Aug 24, 7:41 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Some people would benefit from wider pedal spacing.

I think that's true. People vary in all three dimensions and the most
comfortable bike fit would also have to be managed in three dimensions.

I'm variable in the fourth and fifth dimensions as well.

;-)

Old August 25th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message
[...]

Here's an interesting link that shows the ischeal tuberosities or sit
bones in relation to the rest of the pelvis in a sitting position. Note
that the head of the femurs fit into sockets that are about midway between
the top and bottom of the pelvis. The head of the femurs are angled out
and down so that the width between the outside of the femurs is much wider
than the width between the sits bones.

http://www.foamstudies.bham.ac.uk/cu...ackground.html

Chas.

Old August 25th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

snip
It seems when you get things just right you get that "bike disappears

beneath
you" feeling.

Peter,

That's a great concept. I have a collection of classic lugged steel framed
bikes. I've been playing Goldie Locks with them for the past year and a
half. I've finally settled on one or two the give me the perfect "bike
disappears" feeling.

Everything fits right. Yesterday as I was topping a small hill a guy came
zooming by and yelled that my seat was too low and I should raise it 1/8"
to 3/8". Well years ago I learned to ankle when I climbed and I guess that
the ankling action appears to make my seat look too low.

BTW, I use a 3/4" pedal extender on the right side on most of my road
bikes because of some hip surgery. I also ride with very wide pedals and
toeclips but no cleats.

Chas.

Stress by Big Hips izurewakaru Techniques 0 March 31st 08 06:20 AM
I was dehydrated, drunk, had painful hips, and still beat everyone. Froid Landis Racing 0 August 3rd 06 10:42 PM
Waists and hips Tony Raven UK 28 November 9th 05 06:38 PM
"Go-Robbie-Go-Robbie..." say in teenage girlie voice while gyrating your hips ;P Jay Woo Australia 11 May 23rd 05 01:58 AM
Wide Rim=Wide Tire?? dogbowl Unicycling 9 August 2nd 04 08:26 PM